Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

L1011 wrote: »
    EU countries can have such restrictions. It may be restricted to the older members who have slightly more rights - but we are one of those.

Denmark's is probably the best known.

I don't know if this would really have any affect though.

Ireland has already copped criticism from the EU for the ridiculous locals only stance of some councils:
    Locals only' planning rule illegal and discriminatory, says EU
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/locals-only-planning-rule-illegal-and-discriminatory-says-eu-26300271.html

The Danish case isn't quite what you imply as there is the obviously necessary exemption for EU citizens who decide to live in Denmark.
    However, if the purchaser is an EU citizen or an EU company, they may purchase real property if certain specific conditions are fulfilled, eg the real property must serve as an all-year round residence for the purchaser
    ...from your link.

It's pretty obvious that you just can not have free movement and a right to residency and work within the EU without an implied and obvious right to also purchase property in a country in which a citizen has moved to to live and work. As this is such a central tennet underpinning the basic principles behind the EU it should be obvious that no EU country would likely survive a legal challenge on such an issue if dragged to the European court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Graham wrote: »
    Where does the article suggest

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/majority-of-dublin-s-airbnb-style-lets-return-to-long-term-market-1.4422915

I found this article informative. I can’t see who you were asking the question of but I would suggest they are mistaken or not telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Depends if one believes the Housing Minister is a trustworthy source.

Back in July 2020, the Housing Minister said:

“The Airbnb properties that are now not being used – is there an opportunity for the state to buy more of them? It’s something that I’m looking at, absolutely. It is something that I want to do frankly”.

Timelines seem to match up IMO

Link to article here: https://www.thejournal.ie/darragh-o-brien-housing-minister-5146915-Jul2020/

I remember when he said that and thinking to myself at the time that a powerful entity goes and does their best to make people sell their property, so that they can go and buy the whole lot. Theres a conflict of interest there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How are house prices calculated...

I was just doing a bit of window shopping and have seen a few houses all in the same area, and the prices vary wildly...

Can understand square footage and bedrooms etc, but it seems interior design isn't taken into account or even how future proofed the property is...

Cosmetic stuff has little impact on the value as people will usually just change it to their own taste anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

JimmyVik wrote:
    I remember when he said that and thinking to myself at the time that a powerful entity goes and does their best to make people sell their property, so that they can go and buy the whole lot. Theres a conflict of interest there.

Your confusing power with intelligence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How are house prices calculated...

I was just doing a bit of window shopping and have seen a few houses all in the same area, and the prices vary wildly...

Can understand square footage and bedrooms etc, but it seems interior design isn't taken into account or even how future proofed the property is...

Generally it’s whats did the last equivalent property in the area achieve and add a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

RichardAnd wrote: »
    I think they allow Chinese investment.

Australia and Singapore are exempt because of free trade deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Depends if one believes the Housing Minister is a trustworthy source.

Back in July 2020, the Housing Minister said:

“The Airbnb properties that are now not being used – is there an opportunity for the state to buy more of them? It’s something that I’m looking at, absolutely. It is something that I want to do frankly”.

Timelines seem to match up IMO

Link to article here: https://www.thejournal.ie/darragh-o-brien-housing-minister-5146915-Jul2020/

I would love to see a breakdown of the demographics of just who is buying property in the state. I.e., X% FTBs, Y% foreign investors, Z% state-bought. I doubt that such data is in the public domain, but it would be very interesting to see.

Reins wrote: »
    Australia and Singapore are exempt because of free trade deals.

From what I understand, New Zealand currently has extremely high house prices, at least in cities. What is driving this, I wonder? Given the persuasions of the powers that be over there, I would wager that the state is buying a lot of property for social-housing, but that is merely a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I would love to see a breakdown of the demographics of just who is buying property in the state. I.e., X% FTBs, Y% foreign investors, Z% state-bought. I doubt that such data is in the public domain, but it would be very interesting to see.

The CSO publish data in the HPM02 dataset which gives a breakdown of transactions by "Type of buyer" which has splits of "FTB, non occupier, non household buyer, former owner occupier" so you could infer from this whether the state or REITs have ramped up activity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd a quick look at that dataset and it would seem to indicate there is an increase alright, 2019 anyway, 2020 is funny year with covid.
    I'm not fully sure of the definitions, but I believe non-occupier to be private landlord and non-household to be state, housing bodies or REIT's.
    Chart is volume of sales for all counties.
    550216.png

Source: Goto https://data.cso.ie/ and seach Residential Dwelling Property Transactions, then HMP02, you can chart the data from there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

From what I understand, New Zealand currently has extremely high house prices, at least in cities. What is driving this, I wonder? Given the persuasions of the powers that be over there, I would wager that the state is buying a lot of property for social-housing, but that is merely a guess.

New Zealands property bubble is probably worse than hours was pre 2008 at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not caused by state purchases in NZ. The three main reasons are very low supply vs high demand, made far, far worse by COVID, as in most countries.

The second reason is historically low interest rates making property investment and speculation attractive and the third is that NZ doesn't have CGT, making property investing even more highly attractive for a lot of people. The second, third property has become almost a national sport for a large number of ordinary people.

The governmant there has very recently changed the law defining the role of the reserve bank, making it now part of their remit to take the housing market into consideration when setting rates. Serves them right for thumbing their noses at the government saying it's their problem and fault for not taking appropriate measures, when politely asked by the government to consider the housing market.

The most recent powerful measure taken in the past couple of weeks was to disallow the claiming of mortgage interest as a cost against rental income interms of tax.

The thing the government haven't done to address the problem I believe they should have, is to reform their planning system, which is a very large cost buden and impediment to developers and individuals wishing to buy land and to build on it.

In contrast to most Irish people, I see the planning system here as a major problem and impediment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Given the persuasions of the powers that be over there

The NZ Labour Party are centre-right by European standards. Social democratic and definitively not left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

cnocbui wrote: »
    In contrast to most Irish people, I see the planning system here as a major problem and impediment.

Have you ever talked to most Irish people? :pac:

I think its universally agreed upon that planning system in Ireland moves at a glacial pace

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

L1011 wrote: »
    The NZ Labour Party are centre-right by European standards. Social democratic and definitively not left wing.

not surprising , NZ is a very right wing country , extremely hard headed folk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

house prices up another 3% in feb according to cso..

on another note it looks like the government is turning into santy claus according to this article - massive wage rises on the cards for low earners (if businesses reopen after covid)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/low-paid-workers-ireland-set-23914954

combat14 wrote:
    on another note it looks like the government is turning into santy claus according to this article - massive wage rises on the cards for low earners (if businesses reopen after covid)

I'm sure it crossed their minds that a move to the living wage would pore petrol on the flames of rising rent prices therefore the wage rises would be a further boost to the profits of REITs and really do nothing for low paid workers

Further proof that government are a major part of the problem with more welfare for the wealthy programs

If they wanted to help the low paid, (or any worker or employer) sorting the housing shortage would be where you would start

Villa05 wrote: »
    I'm sure it crossed their minds that a move to the living wage would pore petrol on the flames of rising rent prices therefore the wage rises would be a further boost to the profits of REITs and really do nothing for low paid workers

Further proof that government are a major part of the problem with more welfare for the wealthy programs

If they wanted to help the low paid, (or any worker or employer) sorting the housing shortage would be where you would start

Yes, pricing people with a living wage is part of the problem. Idiotic. Sad view of the world.

Hubertj wrote:
    Yes, pricing people with a living wage is part of the problem. Idiotic. Sad view of the world.

Every increase in the minimum wage has been negated multiple times over by rental increases.

If you want to help low paid workers, sort out housing. Pointless giving anyone an increase if housing takes more than the increase in salary

• Advertisement

Hubertj wrote: »

The problem is that increasing the minimum wage will increase the supply of money available in the economy. Unless the available supply of goods expands to match, this means that prices will rise as there will be more money available to buy the same amount of things. This may not be too bad when it comes to things like food, but with rent, it almost certainly will be. Simply put, an extra 100 euro a week is of little use if everyone else in your price range receives the same increase at the same time.

Villa05 wrote: »
    Every increase in the minimum wage has been negated multiple times over by rental increases.

If you want to help low paid workers, sort out housing. Pointless giving anyone an increase if housing takes more than the increase in salary

So low paid workers shouldn’t be paid more if they have cheaper housing? I’d suggest you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about but this isn’t the forum for such a ridiculous assertion.

Hubertj wrote:
    So low paid workers shouldn’t be paid more if they have cheaper housing?.

Not what I said

If you want to help low paid workers, you start with housing

So low paid workers shouldn’t be paid more if they have cheaper housing? I’d suggest you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about but this isn’t the forum for such a ridiculous assertion.

If you seriously believe that simply increasing the minimum wage will make everyone richer then you are deluded.

It leads to inflation of most assets & goods and ultimately erodes any extra purchasing power it initially granted - so that people on the new minimum wage are just as worse off as they were pre-increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

timmyntc wrote: »
    If you seriously believe that simply increasing the minimum wage will make everyone richer then you are deluded.

It leads to inflation of most assets & goods and ultimately erodes any extra purchasing power it initially granted - so that people on the new minimum wage are just as worse off as they were pre-increase.

That is not true and too simple of a view. You can look at US where they increased min wage in 2010. They have been chasing after text book inflation ever since.

Edit: Solving housing crises created by design has nothing to do with rising min wage.

SmokyMo wrote: »
    That is not true and too simple of a view. You can look at US where they increased min wage in 2010. They have been chasing after text book inflation ever since.

Edit: Solving housing crises created by design has nothing to do with rising min wage.

Most of workers in the US were actually not affected by the min wage increase since almost nobody earned minimum wage at that time.

Solving housing crisis has nothing to do with minimum wage, I agree. However a rising minimum wage does equal more purchasing power to the people earning minimum wage. The better approach (for general goods & for housing) is to try and reduce the cost of living. Not only can it lead to tangible increases in purchasing power, but it makes our economy more competitive globally.

timmyntc wrote: »

The point I am making is that a living wage is only 1 part of a solution. Fixing housing doesn’t mean that low paid workers don’t need a pay rise. Building more houses on its own doesn’t fix the issues with housing either..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

The point I am making is that a living wage is only 1 part of a solution. Fixing housing doesn’t mean that low paid workers don’t need a pay rise. Building more houses on its own doesn’t fix the issues with housing either..

significantly increasing the minimum wage will drive up wage demands from all other groups too....

it may on a positive note motivate some of the career unemployed to consider gainful employment

however in reality driving up the minimum wage may contribute to making the country generally less competitve on an international basis, rise inflation/ prices making ireland a far more expensive place to do business and more expensive for locals and tourists alike

the government need to focus on driving down the cost of living here - taxes and housing are two of the biggest expenses - now there is not much scope to sustainably reduce taxes at present given massive state borrowing ..

housing is really the elephant in the room ...

and ff/fg have been in power the last 10 years or so .. they need to start to do the job ........ and stop adding fuel to the fire by driving up costs here further ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

combat14 wrote: »
    and ff/fg have been in power the last 10 years or so .. they need to start to do the job ........ and stop adding fuel to the fire by driving up costs here further ...

As the Irish Examiner so well put earlier in the week
    It will open the door for the kind of change most of those who support Ireland’s conservative parties dread. By tolerating this scandal old, property-first Ireland assures its own destruction.

One quick look at the odds in the bookies shows us the way this is going, both 'Most Seats' and 'Next Taoiseach' markets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Anyone buying now would be absolutely mad!

Number of second-hand properties listed for sale falls by 70% in 10 years

Sherry FtizGerald said vendors are reluctant to bring properties to the market amid Covid-19 related concerns but also crucially due to the restrictions on viewings.

“This exacerbation in the supply deficit stoked a rise in house price inflation, particularly in comparison to the more subdued levels of price growth observed in the recent past,” it said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/number-of-second-hand-properties-listed-for-sale-falls-by-70-in-10-years-1.4538593

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement