Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Anyone buying now would be absolutely mad!

Number of second-hand properties listed for sale falls by 70% in 10 years

You think it's better to wait until the supply of second-hand homes increases or enough new-builds are completed to satisfy the demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Graham wrote: »
    You think it's better to wait until the supply of second-hand homes increases or enough new-builds are completed to satisfy the demand?

At least wait until restrictions are lifted and we see what the market looks like..

Why panic and feel like a sucker with how bad supply is, an awful lot is only probate from what i have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/number-of-second-hand-properties-listed-for-sale-falls-by-70-in-10-years-1.4538593

So when this 2nd hand stream comes online can you not equate that every time someone buys one of these 2nd hand houses another will be needed for the seller still no gain in actual housing

fliball123 wrote: »
    So when this 2nd hand stream comes online can you not equate that every time someone buys one of these 2nd hand houses another will be needed for the seller still no gain in actual housing

No, not necessarily. Died, emigrated, returned home to different country, moved in with partner, moved into care for older person any amount of reasons someone might sell.
    Also, even if they do need a property after selling one, they won't necessarily be in the same area of the country.
    So, will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

combat14 wrote: »
    house prices up another 3% in feb according to cso..

on another note it looks like the government is turning into santy claus according to this article - massive wage rises on the cards for low earners (if businesses reopen after covid)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/low-paid-workers-ireland-set-23914954

A lot of people got their first experience of our welfare state in the last year n questioning the point in working imo. No childcare, work travel expenses anymore n the odd nixer or two.

Anyone renting nowadays that's near minimum wage is probably better off on the dole and hap. Rents have shot up in the last year or two in the cheaper counties that'd have a higher percentage of sub e12/hr jobs.

Employers will have to entice staff back with higher wages to pay the higher rents that government policy has increased! A recipe for success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭combat14

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/number-of-second-hand-properties-listed-for-sale-falls-by-70-in-10-years-1.4538593

makes sense country is locked down for the guts of 13 months now and counting

hard to buy a house if one cant get outside your 5km till this week - why even bother listing if people cant go view the house - its a vicsous circle ...

artificially driving up asking prices for the few that decide to list their wares right now

while banks are still reticent to even lend to many of the hundreds of thousands on the covid payment all year till they see will all the closed zombie businesses in many cases come back on stream later this year or next year even - who knows ...

enricoh wrote: »
    A lot of people got their first experience of our welfare state in the last year n questioning the point in working imo. No childcare, work travel expenses anymore n the odd nixer or two.

Anyone renting nowadays that's near minimum wage is probably better off on the dole and hap. Rents have shot up in the last year or two in the cheaper counties that'd have a higher percentage of sub e12/hr jobs.

Employers will have to entice staff back with higher wages to pay the higher rents that government policy has increased! A recipe for success!

thats if young people even decide to stay here once international covid restrictions are lifted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Having taken a sabbatical from boards after posting my predictions at the start of the year i had planned to not log in until my prediction was realized but given the madness of our times i couldn't resist checking back in.

My prediction at the start of the year was that 2nd hand house prices within the 250-400k (FTB) range would drop 10% on the condition that this drop would occur roughly 3 months after fully reopening of the economy, which i predicted as October 2021.

This my still occur as people seem to forget how quickly things can change, we're noticing quite a few properties hit the market each day in North Dublin and whilst prices are insane due to sheer fear and panic, i predict we will see an avalanche of 2nd hand properties up for sale this summer (if everything is back open by then, of course).

Current prices and historically low supply cannot last forever, we have witnessed the lowest supply in recent history and we're confident the worst of it is over now that restrictions are being lifted. More supply hitting the market plus PUP payments being withdrawn next year and business closures will cause property prices to dip (slightly).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Having taken a sabbatical from boards after posting my predictions at the start of the year i had planned to not log in until my prediction was realized but given the madness of our times i couldn't resist checking back in.

My prediction at the start of the year was that 2nd hand house prices within the 250-400k (FTB) range would drop 10% on the condition that this drop would occur roughly 3 months after fully reopening of the economy, which i predicted as October 2021.

This my still occur as people seem to forget how quickly things can change, we're noticing quite a few properties hit the market each day in North Dublin and whilst prices are insane due to sheer fear and panic, i predict we will see an avalanche of 2nd hand properties up for sale this summer (if everything is back open by then, of course).

Current prices and historically low supply cannot last forever, we have witnessed the lowest supply in recent history and we're confident the worst of it is over now that restrictions are being lifted. More supply hitting the market plus PUP payments being withdrawn next year and business closures will cause property prices to dip (slightly).

Drop 10 percent from what though ? Current prices or the prices that prevailed at the time of the prediction?

Cyrus wrote: »
    Drop 10 percent from what though ? Current prices or the prices that prevailed at the time of the prediction?

2020 prices, so it will likely be a larger drop compared against prices at the moment, albeit we don't have all the PPR data, yet.

• Advertisement

thats if young people even decide to stay here once international covid restrictions are lifted

This is a very good point, younger siblings social circle appears to be leaning in that direction, sad times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

At least wait until restrictions are lifted and we see what the market looks like..

Why panic and feel like a sucker with how bad supply is, an awful lot is only probate from what i have seen.

Thanks

That makes more sense, I just didn't understand the 'hold off because supply has dropped by 70% in 10 years' angle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Graham wrote: »
    Thanks

That makes more sense, I just didn't understand the 'hold off because supply has dropped by 70% in 10 years' angle.

I guess whether it is worth holding off because supply has dropped 70% depends on why supply has collapsed.

Certainly it is not totally off the wall to suggest it might be worth waiting even beyond lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

schmittel wrote: »
    I guess whether it is worth holding off because supply has dropped 70% depends on why supply has collapsed.

Certainly it is not totally off the wall to suggest it might be worth waiting even beyond lockdown.

If I was actively in the market now and I could wait I’d try give it 9-12 months post lifting of all restrictions to see where we are.

Knowing my luck prices would rise but intuitively you’d have to expect a softening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meangene

Where does everyone go to view rental properties? Is it Daft?? There isn't a lot on it...

A bit off topic, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

My own take is to wait. I plan to start viewing houses as soon as physical viewings are allowed, but this "bid to view" or "sale-agree to view" nonsense is a game I'm not playing. I

I would opine that when it becomes possible to view a house without bidding on it, a lot of the crazy over-shoots of price will roll back a little. Supply will still be a problem, of course, but I want nothing to do with the tulip bulb market that I see at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 K.Hawksworth

Cyrus wrote: »
    If I was actively in the market now and I could wait I’d try give it 9-12 months post lifting of all restrictions to see where we are.

Knowing my luck prices would rise but intuitively you’d have to expect a softening.

They most likely will rise in that timeframe and beyond. We have to remember that even before coronavirus, construction was falling short of demand. We were playing catch-up trying to build enough property to meet demand. Then the worst possible scenario happened where construction stopped a year ago and still hasn't fully resumed yet. So not only do we need to build enough to meet demand, we have to build enough to meet year on year demand AND build enough to clear the backlog. That requires 40,000+ completions over the next 12 months. It's simply not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

A property professional said to me he expects prices to rise, simply lack of supply. I just can't see all these properties suddenly appearing on the market when country opens up.
    Anyone that has property to sell is selling now as prices are high they are hardly going to wait incase prices fall which I doubt would happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's not caused by state purchases in NZ. The three main reasons are very low supply vs high demand, made far, far worse by COVID, as in most countries.

The second reason is historically low interest rates making property investment and speculation attractive and the third is that NZ doesn't have CGT, making property investing even more highly attractive for a lot of people. The second, third property has become almost a national sport for a large number of ordinary people.

The governmant there has very recently changed the law defining the role of the reserve bank, making it now part of their remit to take the housing market into consideration when setting rates. Serves them right for thumbing their noses at the government saying it's their problem and fault for not taking appropriate measures, when politely asked by the government to consider the housing market.

The most recent powerful measure taken in the past couple of weeks was to disallow the claiming of mortgage interest as a cost against rental income interms of tax.

The thing the government haven't done to address the problem I believe they should have, is to reform their planning system, which is a very large cost buden and impediment to developers and individuals wishing to buy land and to build on it.

In contrast to most Irish people, I see the planning system here as a major problem and impediment.

You are mostly correct, except there is enough supply to meet the demand but your other 2 points are spot on.
    I am in the process of buying my first home in Auckland at the moment and its soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

According to the Irish Times “Housing Minister wants to double affordable and social homes in new developments”.

How’s this different to what’s happening on the ground at the moment? Yes, officially 10%, but they do buy more on top of that, enter into 25 long-term lease agreements or rent them by the back-door through HAP etc.

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/housing-minister-wants-to-double-affordable-and-social-homes-in-new-developments-1.4538751

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    not surprising , NZ is a very right wing country , extremely hard headed folk

I dont know where you get your ideas, but NZ is not right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

liam7831 wrote: »
    A property professional said to me he expects prices to rise, simply lack of supply. I just can't see all these properties suddenly appearing on the market when country opens up.
    Anyone that has property to sell is selling now as prices are high they are hardly going to wait incase prices fall which I doubt would happen anyway.

I don't know about this though. if you're selling a house now and plan to buy a new one, how many people are potentially holding off on the new purchase simply because they don't want to get involved in a bidding war. I think there's far more people just holding off selling now than we think.

serious talk of kbc leaving irish market this morning .. with bank of ireland taking over its loan book .. hopefully the competition regulator will do its job and block the sale

terrible news for mortgage holders here as bound to drive up interest rates over time due to desperate lack of competition in the mortage market here

avant mortages is the only shining light at the moment but how long will that last if there are no competitiors ..they could even pull from here too based on what they see other foreign banks doing

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

serious talk of kbc leaving irish market this morning .. with bank of ireland taking over its loan book .. hopefully the competition regulator will do its job and block the sale

terrible news for mortgage holders here as bound to drive up interest rates over time due to desperate lack of competition in the mortage market here

avant mortages is the only shining light at the moment but how long will that last if there are no competitiors ..they could even pull from here too based on what they see other foreign banks doing

Maybe the competition regulator can bellyache that there is not enough competition in the banking sector but they cannot force KBC to operate in Ireland.

If a sale was blocked to BOI and KBC are set on leaving they'll sell to a vulture fund or some other party who is unlikely to be consumer focussed.

The reason we don't have enough competition in the banking sector is because we've decided that mortgage payments are to all intents and purposes optional. It is utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

If I was a bank handing out mortgage loans and looking at sinn fein coming over the hill I'd be legging it in good time too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 engagethecore

Maybe the competition regulator can bellyache that there is not enough competition in the banking sector but they cannot force KBC to operate in Ireland.

If a sale was blocked to BOI and KBC are set on leaving they'll sell to a vulture fund or some other party who is unlikely to be consumer focussed.

The reason we don't have enough competition in the banking sector is because we've decided that mortgage payments are to all intents and purposes optional. It is utter madness.

Agreed , its not a fluke that two lenders (who do well abroad) want to pull out of the market . Very difficult to get money when you cant get money back when somebody doesn't pay for their Mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 5 engagethecore

Interest rates aren't high because of lack of competition they are high because the banks cant get money back and foreclose on non payers which drives up the costs for banks operating here VS other European Countries. Also legacy spread Irish institutions pay to fund cash VS other European banks primarily driven from 2008 crash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

According to the Irish Times “Housing Minister wants to double affordable and social homes in new developments”.

How’s this different to what’s happening on the ground at the moment? Yes, officially 10%, but they do buy more on top of that, enter into 25 long-term lease agreements or rent them by the back-door through HAP etc.

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/housing-minister-wants-to-double-affordable-and-social-homes-in-new-developments-1.4538751

How much is that going to add on to the price of a house in the rest of the development for ordinary buyers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

The level on capital reserves that banks have to hold in Ireland is 3 times that of EU countries.
    That’s because of the risk of default/non payment of loans here and the insane difficulty with eviction.
    See pause on eviction again until July after press, political uproar on Monday.

The people by voting for TDs & parties who all are fine with this, have to shoulder some of the blame for 2 banks pulling out in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

enricoh wrote:
    If I was a bank handing out mortgage loans and looking at sinn fein coming over the hill I'd be legging it in good time too!!

How come, what have sf got to do with it?

Our dysfunctional housing market is feeding our dysfunctional banking sector, and vice versa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement