Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

C14N wrote: »
    You can always look for independant candidates who might be in some way helpful, or possibly some of the smaller parties. Social Democrats don't seem entirely terrible from what I have seen from them, and while people will often villify Greens for working with FFG, I don't really think they have the leverage to do much about these bigger issues in their coalition.

There's no point in just not voting, someone is going to get in anyway.

From this thread and most of my mates, for the first time ever, it's not voting from now on and many hard working homeowners who struggled to buy, are disgusted with the situation and will not vote or vote sf, as a protest and to register their disgust...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote: »
    No votes equals forcing the establishment to change and encourages new parties to form. Its by far the most effective tool. Or do suggest continuing to vote for the ffg farce ? And wonder why they no longer serve us, that put them there...

democracy globally is in serious trouble, by not voting we encourage its demise, i suspect we maybe experiencing the dying moments of ffg lead governments, i certainly hope so anyway, id always recommend voting, for anyone, anyone that somewhat matches your opinions and beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hubertj wrote: »
    That would be a breach of the regulations and there are penalties attached I presume. But there’s the problem - they are reasonable grounds to terminate a lease but those landlords that abuse them do not seem to be held accountable.

It would be, but it's Ireland so it's just how it is ¯\_( ツ)_/¯ I've never heard of anyone getting done for the paint routine even after they provided the new Daft ad to the PRTB. You can go through the process of reporting (I've reported stuff to them before) but you never hear a word again, and realistically at that stage you've already been living on somebody else's couch and you're too busy jumping through the next landlord's hoops, or you're hoping they might still cough up your deposit.

Everyone I know who has rented in Dublin from small landlords will have a story like that, or even more likely, the threat of it being used if you ask for anything.

Institutional scale house purchases are one thing, but you would find it hard to find anyone who would prefer the experience of renting from an Irish small landlord vs renting from a company. Trying to get a broken shower or fridge fixed is like negotiating with Dennis Hopper in Speed for two weeks over Whatsapp vs filling in an online form and having somebody show up at the selected time next day.

My landlord raises the rent every year by exactly the RPZ limit, which I was annoyed about until I remembered that before they just raised it by whatever they felt like when I had the audacity to ask for functional heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

2 houses on the SAME street. Both 3 beds, very similar design. If anything, House A seems to be slightly larger. And arguably nicer too.

House A just went up on the PPR having sold at 280,000.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/15-maydenhayes-road-donacarney-meath/4462900

House B just went to market for 335,000.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-62-maydenhayes-road-mornington-co-meath/3210023

That's a 20% increase in a matter of about 4 months.

I give up.

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    2 houses on the SAME street. Both 3 beds, very similar design. If anything, House A seems to be slightly larger. And arguably nicer too.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/15-maydenhayes-road-donacarney-meath/4462900

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-62-maydenhayes-road-mornington-co-meath/3210023

I give up.

no bubble here!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    democracy globally is in serious trouble, by not voting we encourage its demise, i suspect we maybe experiencing the dying moments of ffg lead governments, i certainly hope so anyway, id always recommend voting, for anyone, anyone that somewhat matches your opinions and beliefs

Is there anyone i can vote for who:

- Won't tax the hard working tax payer to near death while simultaneously rewarding those who don't contribute to society (both Irish and immigrants on welfare but are capable of work).

- Doesn't ignore the fact they those in government work for us and not the other way around.

- Stand up for Ireland and not be a lap dog to the EU, spouting PC and diversity sh!te and say no to Ireland housing every chancer from each corner of the globe when we can't even house own our people to begin with.

- Rejects vulture funds and councils outbidding the hard working tax payer (using the tax payers money) and mandates the tax payer get priority when it comes to new builds and bans the former from 2nd hand property. No Vulture funds needed for social housing, the government should be funding the building of these houses themselves, perfect timing considering interest rates are at record lows.

- Stop offering social housing to dole heads in cities and instead offer them to people who have jobs in the cities but can't afford their own place, these people need these properties for work and contributing to society. The former should be happy with a roof over their heads anywhere in the country, beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

No votes equals forcing the establishment to change and encourages new parties to form. Its by far the most effective tool. Or do suggest continuing to vote for the ffg farce ? And wonder why they no longer serve us, that put them there...

It doesn't force anything of the sort. If Party A gets into power on 40% turnout or 60% turnout, they still end up in power, and they won't have much interest in changing. If you're going to waive your right to vote, all it's signalling is that you can be ignored. I never really like my options when voting, but I'll pick the least-bad one I can. Even if you're choosing between two from the same party, ask them about their own stances and find the one who you think is better for you.
    Institutional scale house purchases are one thing, but you would find it hard to find anyone who would prefer the experience of renting from an Irish small landlord vs renting from a company. Trying to get a broken shower or fridge fixed is like negotiating with Dennis Hopper in Speed for two weeks over Whatsapp vs filling in an online form and having somebody show up at the selected time next day.

I tend to agree with this. People often seem to pine for the quaint days of individual private landlords who own 1 or 2 properties over the institutional ones who own 100, but I genuinely think the latter are far better equipped to do the job and I've generally had good experiences with them in terms of getting things fixed or replaced. They've generally got enough properties that they will have maintenance staff and replacement appliances ready to go quickly and they usually couldn't be arsed trying to save a few quid by trying to come in and fix a leaky pipe themselves after work or whatever. To whatever extent the rental sector should exist, I think it generally is better served by these guys over the individual LLs.

I give up.

That's a pretty insane bump, but bear in mind that house B is just asking price, and not everything goes above asking price. I've been reaching out on some properties that are listed outside my budget recently and have found that the highest bids on some are far below the listed asking price. Some EAs and sellers might just be getting a bit too ahead of themselves right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

That's a pretty insane bump, but bear in mind that house B is just asking price, and not everything goes above asking price. I've been reaching out on some properties that are listed outside my budget recently and have found that the highest bids on some are far below the listed asking price. Some EAs and sellers might just be getting a bit too ahead of themselves right now.

True that.

House A only went 5k over asking (275->280). I really can't see how the agent for House B expects 335k but maybe he sees crazy demand recently from people desperate to get on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

derekgine3 wrote: »

- Won't tax the hard working tax payer to near death while simultaneously rewarding those who don't contribute to society (both Irish and immigrants on welfare but are capable of work).

- Doesn't ignore the fact they those in government work for us and not the other way around.

- Stand up for Ireland and not be a lap dog to the EU, spouting PC and diversity sh!te and say no to Ireland housing every chancer from each corner of the globe when we can't even house own our people to begin with.

- Rejects vulture funds and councils outbidding the hard working tax payer (using the tax payers money) and mandates the tax payer get priority when it comes to new builds and bans the former from 2nd hand property. No Vulture funds needed for social housing, the government should be funding the building of these houses themselves, perfect timing considering interest rates are at record lows.

- Stop offering social housing to dole heads in cities and instead offer them to people who have jobs in the cities but can't afford their own place, these people need these properties for work and contributing to society. The former should be happy with a roof over their heads anywhere in the country, beggars can't be choosers.

These guys maybe? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Party_(Ireland,_2016)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I tend to agree with this. People often seem to pine for the quaint days of individual private landlords who own 1 or 2 properties over the institutional ones who own 100, but I genuinely think the latter are far better equipped to do the job and I've generally had good experiences with them in terms of getting things fixed or replaced. They've generally got enough properties that they will have maintenance staff and replacement appliances ready to go quickly and they usually couldn't be arsed trying to save a few quid by trying to come in and fix a leaky pipe themselves after work or whatever. To whatever extent the rental sector should exist, I think it generally is better served by these guys over the individual LLs.

Exactly. When you say "people", I'd suggest some folks with vested interests may have some illusions over what it's like to be completely reliant on small landlords, and think we'll all see the error of our ways and want to go back to a time they were the only game in town.

REIT buy outs and rent inflation are one conversation, and there are things which can be done to mitigate that, but nobody misses the days of having to buy your own toilet seat for fear the landlord will let himself into the house while you're at work to install a "refurbished" one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

It would be, but it's Ireland so it's just how it is ¯\_( ツ)_/¯ I've never heard of anyone getting done for the paint routine even after they provided the new Daft ad to the PRTB. You can go through the process of reporting (I've reported stuff to them before) but you never hear a word again, and realistically at that stage you've already been living on somebody else's couch and you're too busy jumping through the next landlord's hoops, or you're hoping they might still cough up your deposit.

Everyone I know who has rented in Dublin from small landlords will have a story like that, or even more likely, the threat of it being used if you ask for anything.

My landlord raises the rent every year by exactly the RPZ limit, which I was annoyed about until I remembered that before they just raised it by whatever they felt like when I had the audacity to ask for functional heating.

Just another example of “public servants” not doing their jobs..... if there was propert enforcement landlords would be discouraged from taking the pis*.

I must have been lucky when renting. I think I had 6 landlords (never a letting agent etc) between Dublin and cork, never had an issue with them fixing things in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

It's one thing to choose to not settle down under 30 because you don't want to do it, it's another if you can't because it's not financially viable.

And having fun is a lot harder when you are required to pay a historically high proportion of your wages on rent and required to save so much to ever hope to buy.

no offence intended but, a bunch of lulas!, but people should have the right to vote for them also

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Not using your vote is a vote for the incumbent…

Micheál Martin thanks you for your support.

Exactly. When you say "people", I'd suggest some folks with vested interests may have some illusions over what it's like to be completely reliant on small landlords, and think we'll all see the error of our ways and want to go back to a time they were the only game in town.

REIT buy outs and rent inflation are one conversation, and there are things which can be done to mitigate that, but nobody misses the days of having to buy your own toilet seat for fear the landlord will let himself into the house while you're at work to install a "refurbished" one again.

I wouldn't put it all down to maliciousness or ulterior motives necessarily, I think some people just view big-business landlords as inherently impersonal and bad, and small-time ones as good, or at least not as bad and needing more support, in much the same way as people might think a local supermarket should be supported over a Tesco Extra. But the reality is that they just really aren't that different. You may get the odd one who is especially sound and willing to overlook the bottom line now and again, but that's an exception. For the most part, the goals of a private landlord with one property and a REIT renting out a block of apartments are the same. Neither one is any more morally good or bad than the other, but the big LLs are often just in a position where economies of scale make it easier for them to do the job well.

Just reading up on the populist boll*x SF proposed in Dail yesterday. Very opportunistic to play on people’s emotion with regard to property. Things will only get worse if this is the best they can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Voting is one thing, but even if such a party existed, and it won a land-slide victory, what would change? There are still legions of civil servants, advisors, NGOs, etc. behind the scene who have enormous influence. Those people don't go away with elections.

In my more cynical moments, I ask myself whether politicians exist merely to give us the illusion that we have a say and to present a target for ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just reading up on the populist boll*x SF proposed in Dail yesterday. Very opportunistic to play on people’s emotion with regard to property. Things will only get worse if this is the best they can come up with.

Trying to buy a home is an incredibly stressful experience at the best of times, nevermind against this backdrop. It's an emotive subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I give up.

Looks like the first one has a north facing back garden and the second one is south facing? That's a pretty significant difference in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    General politics chat -> Politics forum
    General economics chat -> Economics forum
    Some other stuff here is probably suited to the Humanities forum

Reiterating this as it seems some people decided to just ignore it.

Do not reply to this post. Do not even refer to this post

tigger123 wrote: »
    Trying to buy a home is an incredibly stressful experience at the best of times, nevermind against this backdrop. It's an emotive subject.

That’s what I mean. The people need proper solutions and honesty from politicians (laughable I know). The stuff SF proposed yesterday does nothing but throw more populist nonsense into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LeakyLime

That’s what I mean. The people need proper solutions and honesty from politicians (laughable I know). The stuff SF proposed yesterday does nothing but throw more populist nonsense into the mix.

What specifically about their proposals do you think is populist nonsense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

We had thousands lining the street for the water charges which is minuscule in comparison to the cost of this housing crisis on the youth of our populations well being.

I am surprised we haven't witnessed the youth rise up and over throw this government but they do seem to have rather docile and passive compared to previous generation. My daughter and son in-law have been property hunting for 14 months now to no avail, huge chatter of groups on social media trying to organize a boycott of the property market (not sure this would work) but all talk no action thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

We had thousands lining the street for the water charges which is minuscule in comparison to the cost of this housing crisis on the youth of our populations well being.

I am surprised we haven't witnessed the youth rise up and over throw this government but they do seem to have rather docile and passive compared to previous generation. My daughter and son in-law have been property hunting for 14 months now to no avail, huge chatter of groups on social media trying to organize a boycott of the property market (not sure this would work) but all talk no action thus far.

I agree, although I think momentum is building now. I want to see mass protests and marches as soon as covid subsides a bit more, and a snap election. We are wasting our lives away paying fortunes in rent or living with parents until late 30s/40s, while they claim ignorance of investment firms buying entire estates. They take us for fools. I'm totally and utterly sick of it, and disgusted by this government. The last 3/4 months have been a disaster, on several fronts, and so many areas of life are getting worse and worse and worse.

i think its on the way, many parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts are starting to realise their own are in trouble, but the time has now come!

david mcwilliams has been advocating for a boycott for a while now, hes right, its a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

They really need to make downsizing appealing

Build one bed apartments in appealing towns and villages

We have thousands of pensioners living in 3 bed semis because there is no alternative

We have thousands of pensioners living in 3 bed semis because there is no alternative

we also need to support older folks who want to remain in their home, if they chose to be, as their community is a fundamental part of their existence, and of course to preserve their memories of raising their family in their home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They are probably more interested in taxing the oldies into downsizing.
    Seems to be the solution to everything in this country.
    Surprised they just didnt tax getting covid to stop the pandemic.

• Advertisement

LeakyLime wrote: »
    What specifically about their proposals do you think is populist nonsense?

Free month of rent..... life tenancies..... rent freeze for 3 years..... 4K affordable houses per year. All lies, undeliverable. Instead they could have proposed changes to state procurement regulations to speed up the ability of councils to commence projects. They could have proposed workable changes to tax treatment of funds/REITs etc. They could have proposed changes to planning laws and SHDs, grounds for NIMBYs objections. They could propose how public servants will be held accountable for not doing their job in relation to spending/wasting tax payers money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement