Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    my experience is that international people have gone to their home countries to WFH and are not coming back, and you have had a different experience. great.

students yes students will always need to go to school but IN MY OPINION we may not get as many international students who travel over to study abroad for the year for awhile.

anywho

To be honest, different experience is very interesting to me, and a case of people working from their home countries. It's very unusual times, how this will end up. If you really work outside Ireland, for Irish company there is difficult tax implications. Since person working 183 days in other country by default becomes a tax resident of that country.

Xoo2 wrote: »
    There seems to be a serious supply issue where we're looking to buy Castleknock, Coolmine, even Blanchardstown- Dublin 15 .etc. Looking for a 4-bed semi-D and I don't know if it's just the time of year but there might be 1 house a week coming on the market. Anything under 550k seems to go sale agreed/sold within a month or so. Even a 3 bed with attic suitable for conversion, or already converted would be great. Just based on my own experience house hunting it wouldn't surprise me at all if prices rise this year.

That's very true. Have you considered Meath at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I told my manager this week that I would work from home for the rest of 2021. They are downsizing the office space when the lease runs out in July. The plan is to bring in a hotdesk program. I will probably move to 1 day in the office in 2022.

I know 2 guys elsewhere that are doing their WFH in Spain and Portugal respectively. They gave up their leases and are renting cheap beside the sea. I don't think their employer knows. My employer wouldn't have a clue if I was away.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Marius34 wrote: »
    To be honest, different experience is very interesting to me, and a case of people working from their home countries. It's very unusual times, how this will end up. If you really work outside Ireland, for Irish company there is difficult tax implications. Since person working 183 days in other country by default becomes a tax resident of that country.

But aren’t a significant percentage of the staff in Ireland working for Facebook, google, Microsoft actually employed by outsourcers e.g. Cpl, Accenture etc.

Can’t they they just use their existing operations in Eastern Europe to relocate or hire new staff given that it has now been proven that a lot of the work can be done just as well remotely.

How would that impact on the taxes google etc. pay here as google, Facebook, Microsoft etc. aren’t employing that many of their Irish staff directly anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

But aren’t a significant percentage of the staff in Ireland working for Facebook, google, Microsoft actually employed by outsourcers e.g. Cpl, Accenture etc.

Can’t they they just use their existing operations in Eastern Europe to relocate or hire new staff given that it has now been proven that a lot of the work can be done just as well remotely.

How would that impact on the taxes google etc. pay here as google, Facebook, Microsoft etc. aren’t employing many of their Irish staff directly anyway.

if the work is undertaken outside Ireland then the companies could have a tax liability in the country the work is undertaken. It makes no difference if it is agency staff or staff directly employed.

if the work is undertaken outside Ireland then the companies could have a tax liability in the country the work is undertaken. It makes no difference if it is agency staff or staff directly employed.

Sure aren’t most of the drugs “manufactured” in Ireland actually manufactured in other EU countries. They do a bit of the “quality control” and “packaging” here and they manage to only pay Irish taxes.

If the pharma companies can do it, I assume google etc. can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Sure aren’t most of the drugs “manufactured” in Ireland actually manufactured in other EU countries. They do a bit of the “quality control” and “packaging” here and they manage to only pay Irish taxes.

We have been through this before just go back and read the posts from a month ago when you raised this or the month before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

We have been through this before just go back and read the posts from a month ago when you raised this or the month before that.

Props has selective amnesia when he has been proven wrong

fliball123 wrote: »

Not at all. The “permanent establishment” scare is put out by the revenue and the tax advisors so they won’t lose the business.

Given the existing large EU presence of these companies, any EU country could have established it pre-covid anyway if they so wished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

This is 100% incorrect and false information.

You're at it again.

Not at all. The “permanent establishment” scare is put out by the revenue and the tax advisors so they won’t lose the business.

Given the existing large EU presence of these companies, any EU country could have established it pre-covid anyway if they so wished.

Its not a scare its fact Ireland have allowed companies come in here paying f-all corpo tax on the narrative that it will give the country jobs meaning people paying tax here and living here.

Its the law.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/moving_country_and_taxation/tax_residence_and_domicile_in_ireland.html#:~:text=Residence%20for%20tax%20purposes,-Your%20residence%20for&text=You%20are%20resident%20for%20tax,for%20the%20second%20tax%20year.

Not to mention the absolute nightmare for a company to sort out the logistics of someone not domicile here when it comes to pay, taxes, social insurance, etc.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/why-multinationals-are-calling-employees-back-to-ireland-1.4379472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have been through this 3-4 times with Prop. He just comes back with a different version every 4-6 weeks. As he carriers on with some other fairy tales as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Because of different definitions of tax year I am dangerously close to having exceeded that 183 days in two countries at the same time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I wonder how many work abroad without notifying their employer..?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

On the PPR next to sold price is ** anyone know what that means?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Reins wrote: »
    On the PPR next to sold price is ** anyone know what that means?

** - Denotes Not Full Market Price

Graham wrote: »
    ** - Denotes Not Full Market Price

Any particular reason they're marked in this way?

what does one gain from knowing this information?..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Any particular reason they're marked in this way?

From the PPR website:
    In a small number of transactions included in the Register the price shown does not represent the full market price of the property concerned for a variety of reasons. For example, the price declared may reflect the retention of an interest in the property by the previous owner, or the fact that a part or fraction only of the property is being purchased; alternatively, the property may have been purchased at a reduced price under the Affordable Homes Scheme. In addition, in a very small number of cases, properties may be declared as purchased in exchange for other property, stocks and shares, etc. All such properties are marked **.
    what does one gain from knowing this information?..

Don't expect to acquire a similar property for the amount on the register

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Anyone else starting to get the feeling there will be a crash next year?

We've just gotten mortgage approved again, but...starting to think we'll hold off 'til the end of approval.

We've just gotten mortgage approved again, but...starting to think we'll hold off 'til the end of approval.

No one knows I would be careful asking that question in here you might hesitate and regret it or you might take the leap and regret it. If your buying look at your own finance and personal situation. Anyone on here saying there will be a crash do not know what they are talking about same goes with those saying there will not be a crash. No one knows its all guess work having said that some of the guesses are at least based on some solid facts, others are completely made up and spun to suit their own narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The question you have to ask is if there is how big will it be and will.it benefit you. There are some on here that assume every downturn will be the same a crash similar to 2008-12 where we saw a substantial drop in prices. Could this happen again yes it could but it is highly unlikely. There was specific fault lines that caused that downturn. Most property price downturns are in the 5-15% mark and most are in the 5-10% bracket

So a lot then depends on your personal circumstances. If you are renting or at life critical points will the risk of waiting for such a price drop be worth it. The next factor is will you be able to benefit from it. Will you still get mortgage approval, will that approval.be for as much as you will get now. The other factor is prices can go up as well. If prices go up by 3-5% or greater how will this effect you

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You have no idea what you are talking about , come back when you have dealt with tax authorities in multiple jurisdictions trying to claim permanent establishment for some pretty tenuous reasons and then tell us it’s a scare tactic .

Having an operation in that country already is neither here nor there because the tax paid in that country will be purposely limited by way of whatever transfer price mechanism is in place. What these countries want is the bulk of that entities tax paid in Europe , i.e. the tax paid on their actual commercial activities not the tax due on a management charge at cost plus 10 percent or whatever it is.

That’s the issue here.

Which you have demonstrated time and time again that you don’t understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I would suggest reading this equivalent thread starting from ~ 3 years back.

The crash is always going to happen 'next year'.

TheSheriff wrote: »

Well, I think if the state didn't start buying up, leasing and using HAP etc. to increase the flow of state money going to both developers and landlords, yes there most likely would have been a housing price crash in the past three years IMO.

Many of the developers would still be around as they bought their sites for a pittance from the likes of NAMA etc. But prices/rents would definitely be c. 25% - 50% lower by now without this state back-door bailout IMO.

You could use the same argument against people who predicted that the banks would go bust back in 2007. Just because the banks are still around doesn't mean they didn't go bust. They did but are only around because of the state's support. Similar to the cost of housing today. It's completely reliant on the state in the background buying up or leasing any unsold/un-rented stock at current asking prices/rents IMO

anyway back to property

i wonder what the story with this place is, there is almost certainly a story :D

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/huntington-outfarm-castleknock-dublin-15-castleknock-dublin-15/4480969

the boards posse have already been on the case

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058038040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The right to 'request' to WFH is very different to the 'right' to work from home.

Look to industries which have been doing this for years, pharma etc and you will see how this pans out.

John who wants to WFH 2/3 days a week will likely be allowed to, after they pass some certain predetermined time by the company (my last employer was 1 year). John will ultimately (unfairly) have poorer career progression, presence in the company etc, whatever way you want to call all that office *bull*. It's true for companies with a hybrid approach. Others will choose to work in the office, pay more money etc.

Both will have a different quality of life, whose is better depends on your prefence.

Some will leave Dublin, some might move to another part of Dublin etc. All Dublin based young professionals are not looking to flock to rural Ireland to live that country life they always wanted.

I think a lot of people are overlooking that.
    I dont know anyone under the age of 40 who desires the country life. Especially those of us from the country. And by country I mean anywhere apart from Dublin.
    But then over 40 is a different story. Most people including myself would be happy to move back down the country once married and settled. But for that to happen you need buy in about schools, spouses workplace, spouse as well as yourself and your employer. Thats a lot of juggling.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    But then over 40 is a different story. Most people including myself would be happy to move back down the country once married and settled. But for that to happen you need buy in about schools, spouses workplace, spouse as well as yourself and your employer. Thats a lot of juggling.

not so sure on that either while it certainly holds more appeal at this stage you may already have kids in school and career aspirations that wont be met by moving away,

we looked at it and decided to stay put :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

Cyrus wrote: »
    anyway back to property

i wonder what the story with this place is, there is almost certainly a story :D

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/huntington-outfarm-castleknock-dublin-15-castleknock-dublin-15/4480969

Also saw this yesterday and couldn't work it out at all! Seems too good to be true. Comments on other thread re. planning for apartments would make sense.

On the topic of too good to be true - this was on the market for a long time a 950 (seems to have gone sale agreed in last couple of days). I have no desire to live in an apartment or in Saggart...but wow!
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/504-swiftwood-saggart-co-dublin-d24-nn63/4446109

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Always next year just like Liverpool fans for 30 years. Eventually they will be right and can claim how they saw it coming.

A few people on my team have been told they have to come back to Ireland and be resident in Ireland before April to continue working in the company.
    Something to do with tax I think. But I dont really know.

One in the UK, 1 in France, 1 in Poland.

I should add that we have an office in the UK and another in France too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No.

With such a lack of supply, and so much demand.

What, he is never wrong :)
    Sometimes I think he must be a politician in real life. The way politicians get caught out on a lie and just continues on like nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I told my manager this week that I would work from home for the rest of 2021. They are downsizing the office space when the lease runs out in July. The plan is to bring in a hotdesk program. I will probably move to 1 day in the office in 2022.

I know 2 guys elsewhere that are doing their WFH in Spain and Portugal respectively. They gave up their leases and are renting cheap beside the sea. I don't think their employer knows. My employer wouldn't have a clue if I was away.

It's trivial to pull logs from a VPN which identify the source log in country you're coming from.

In fact i know this happens, our place offers managed networking as a service and over the last 6 months many requests have came in from clients wanting to know where users are and specifically "users outside of Ireland" i presume this is for tax purposes like other posters mentioned.

not so sure on that either while it certainly holds more appeal at this stage you may already have kids in school and career aspirations that wont be met by moving away,

we looked at it and decided to stay put :)

Or did one member of the family put the foot down :)

Seriously though, even the kids when they hit the teenage years will not want to move away to the country. And it probably wouldnt be good to uproot them at that age either.

It's trivial to pull logs from a VPN which identify the source log in country you're coming from.

In fact i know this happens, our place offers managed networking as a service and over the last 6 months many requests have came in from clients wanting to know where users are and specifically "users outside of Ireland" i presume this is for tax purposes like other posters mentioned.

We have someone else working from the UK since Covid started, but he didnt tell management. They are happy enough as long as they dont know he is living abroad.
    Its the ones who actually told them they were living abroad that have the problem. I think its to do with revenue, more so than the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

DataDude wrote: »
    Also saw this yesterday and couldn't work it out at all! Seems too good to be true. Comments on other thread re. planning for apartments would make sense.

On the topic of too good to be true - this was on the market for a long time a 950 (seems to have gone sale agreed in last couple of days). I have no desire to live in an apartment or in Saggart...but wow!
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/504-swiftwood-saggart-co-dublin-d24-nn63/4446109

That is stunning, would be some place to work from home in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

JimmyVik wrote:
    What, he is never wrong Sometimes I think he must be a politician in real life. The way politicians get caught out on a lie and just continues on like nothing happened.

It must inspire great confidence that those same people have so much control over the property market

Onwards an upwards heh!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

anyway back to property

Real stink of tiger McMansion off that thing.

awec wrote: »

would rather a McMansion as apposed to a McShoebox... If you were offered it for free would you not live there?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

would rather a McMansion as apposed to a McShoebox... If you were offered it for free would you not live there?

For free? Yes.

If I had the guts of a million euro to spend on a house I would definitely not buy that thing though.

its been left for quite some time, lot of damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

anyway back to property

A pool probably devalues it more. I presume they are expensive to run so a new owner has to factor that into the open costs of the house or deal with getting rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Xoo2

I think that house in Carpenterstown has been for sale (on and off) since 2012 if I remember correctly. The area is really nice (we are actually looking to purchase nearby) good schools, parks, train, bus, phoenix park, etc. It probably needs about 300k of work though to bring to standard which is factored into the price.

For free? Yes.

If I had the guts of a million euro to spend on a house I would definitely not buy that thing though.

I'll have it if you dont want it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

Xoo2 wrote:
    I think that house in Carpenterstown has been for sale (on and off) since 2012 if I remember correctly.......... .
    It probably needs about 300k of work though to bring to standard which is factored into the price.

7 years average salary....

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Xoo2 wrote: »
    I think that house in Carpenterstown has been for sale (on and off) since 2012 if I remember correctly. The area is really nice (we are actually looking to purchase nearby) good schools, parks, train, bus, phoenix park, etc. It probably needs about 300k of work though to bring to standard which is factored into the price.

maybe it haunted?

According to the Irish Times today:

"AIB sells 620 distressed mortgages to ‘ethical’ investment group... The bank’s Project Iris portfolio, which contains 620 owner-occupier mortgages in long-term arrears, has been sold to the Home Solution Initiative group, which has pledged to find borrower-friendly solutions to the outstanding arrears problem."

Most are expected to end up in the Government’s mortgage to rent scheme.

"The Home Solutions Initiative consortium comprises debt collection agency Everyday Finance, London-based investment group LCM Partners and the Irish-based Home for Life group."

David Hall of iCare stated a few weeks ago: "Because Home for Life can potentially sell the properties for a profit after leasing the home to the local council for a 25-year period, it can pay higher prices than the approved housing bodies at the outset, he claimed."

Link to Irish Times article today here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/aib-sells-620-distressed-mortgages-to-ethical-investment-group-1.4471100

Link to article on David Hall' view in Irish Times three weeks ago: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/mortgage-to-rent-scheme-undermined-by-commercial-entity-claims-david-hall-1.4455789

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

In long-term arrears? So they are living for free when there are people who would step in and pay the mortgage. Turf them out.

Villa05 wrote: »
    7 years average salary....

hardly relevant, someone on the average salary wont be buying it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement