Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Hubertj wrote: »
    Also need to consider enabling people to purchase a larger property to account for families. FTBer or HTBer or shared equity applicant could have children.

You are correct and I think that is why they will have selection on criteria and it will be on a first come first served basis if you fit....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

So now you are arguing that the shared ownership scheme will lower second hand home's where as before you were arguing that all house prices will go up as a result.... Can you please confirm/clarify that you h you think house prices (with the exception of new builds) will decline because of this.

It will increase the price of new builds (isn't that the idea? Higher profit margins apparently means developers will build more which is why absolutely no houses were built between 2015 and 2020... in jest to make the point) but lower the price of second hand homes.

Plus, it's a bit of a con-job really IMO. If the whole purpose of the proposed co-ownership scheme is to increase house building and hence lower house prices and it succeeds, that would mean the first applicants to use the scheme are guaranteed to lose money.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Whilst 75m seems small, if everyone got a 100k more, that would be 750 first time buyers and if on average it was only 50k more you'd be looking at 1500. Considering just under 6500 new build properties were purchased by FTBers in 2020 (unsure if there is an adjustment for self builds in these figures), it's not an insignificant meddling with the FTB demand side

I have always said that as soon as the government interfere with the market they create two problems for every one problem they solve.

What will be interesting is if there is restrictions on the scheme to specific builds... If there is and it is mid rise apartments in areas that would have difficulty selling without the scheme then this is a total con and brown envelopes must have been past around.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭hometruths

There are People who don't care about ongoing cost.... they care about having a bigger better property that the next guy. Just look at the car market to see that people are not concerned about balloon payments or PCP finance..... Sure we will be in a better position in 5 years lets go for it :cool:

I agree that the majority of people who qualify for it will think about it seriously.
    But it sounds like the budget is not there to give it to everyone who wants it.

If I qualified for it I'd go for it, largely because I'd suspect the chances are high that the 30% will be written off in some shape or form in the future, and you have to be in it to win it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

HTB won't encourage development by the bigger developers as the bigger players e.g. Cairn Homes, Glenveagh etc. purchased their landbanks for a pittance many years ago.

Cairn Homes stated last September that their average site cost was c. €30k and that many of their sites were purchased for c. €15k.

That means, given that construction wages and materials haven't increased by zimbabwean levels of inflation over the past 5 years that they could easily sell their new built houses today for about 20% more than 2015 prices and still walk away with a higher profit margin than in 2015.

If they were willing to accept a lower profit margin in 2015, what has changed, that they now require a higher profit margin with this higher profit margin being paid directly by the state i.e. me?

The only outcome from HTB will be to increase developer profit margins and keep site costs artificially high.

And once HTB is removed (obvious due to budget constraints in 5 years time), any house purchased under HTB will be worth a minimum c. €100k less in 5 years time than today.

you are wilfully ignoring how business works, Cairn may have a large landbank of sites that they bought from nama or elsewhere at low prices but the price and the value are two different things. They also have to replace the sites that they build on to continue in business. So the 'cost' of those sites in any financial model will reflect the replacement cost not the actual cost.

• Advertisement

It will increase the price of new builds (isn't that the idea? Higher profit margins apparently means developers will build more which is why absolutely no houses were built between 2015 and 2020... in jest to make the point) but lower the price of second hand homes.

Plus, it's a bit of a con-job really IMO. If the whole purpose of the proposed co-ownership scheme is to increase house building and hence lower house prices and it succeeds, that would mean the first applicants to use the scheme are guaranteed to lose money.

Does anybody really expect it to lower house prices?!

Edit - sorry, I see that you do! but only second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I have always said that as soon as the government interfere with the market they create two problems for every one problem they solve.

What will be interesting is if there is restrictions on the scheme to specific builds... If there is and it is mid rise apartments in areas that would have difficulty selling without the scheme then this is a total con and brown envelopes must have been past around.

We have been falling down the corruption leader boards over the last few years :P

Ireland’s rating slips in 2020 international corruption index

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40217495.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justaguy1

I signed accommodation contract with Cloudview management in September and gave them the whole first semester rent upfront as required. Also I paid them the deposit for the whole year (semester 1 + 2) . Afterwards, when Lock-down started and when AIT told everyone to do remote classes, I didn't go to Athlone. I just stayed at home and did my classes remotely. In total I was in the room for 6 nights. For the second semester, I told them that I won't need their room so I went to Athlone and gave them the key to the room. I paid them around 3000 euro for the first semester + deposit for the two semesters. Upon delivering the keys I asked for a reimbursement of my rent (since I was there only 6 nights during the first semester), and my deposit for the second semester since I was not going to be there during the second semester. They replied that they won't give me back any money, even my deposit for the second semester because in their contract there is a clause saying that if you leave the room during the contract, you won't get any money back. Apparently they don't understand that we have a pandemic and these are special circumstances. No you can judge for yourselves if you want to rent a room from these people. In my view, this is theft, taking advantage, and unfair treatment of a poor student.They should have given at least part of my money back but they didn't. They are expecting that I should stay in the room in Athlone, even when there are remote classes and I can't go further than 5 kilometers, and I live in a different town. So watch out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

justaguy1 wrote: »
    I signed accommodation contract with Cloudview management in September and gave them the whole first semester rent upfront as required. Also I paid them the deposit for the whole year (semester 1 + 2) . Afterwards, when Lock-down started and when AIT told everyone to do remote classes, I didn't go to Athlone. I just stayed at home and did my classes remotely. In total I was in the room for 6 nights. For the second semester, I told them that I won't need their room so I went to Athlone and gave them the key to the room. I paid them around 3000 euro for the first semester + deposit for the two semesters. Upon delivering the keys I asked for a reimbursement of my rent (since I was there only 6 nights during the first semester), and my deposit for the second semester since I was not going to be there during the second semester. They replied that they won't give me back any money, even my deposit for the second semester because in their contract there is a clause saying that if you leave the room during the contract, you won't get any money back. Apparently they don't understand that we have a pandemic and these are special circumstances. No you can judge for yourselves if you want to rent a room from these people. In my view, this is theft, taking advantage, and unfair treatment of a poor student.They should have given at least part of my money back but they didn't. They are expecting that I should stay in the room in Athlone, even when there are remote classes and I can't go further than 5 kilometers, and I live in a different town. So watch out!

Thats hard but you signed a contract and they held you too it ?? In this scenario of Corona A lot landlords have been the ones put out more so than tenants there are a lot of tenants who have stopped paying rent and have stayed in their accommodation free

fliball123 wrote: »
    Thats hard but you signed a contract and they held you too it ?? In this scenario of Corona A lot landlords have been the ones put out more so than tenants there are a lot of tenants who have stopped paying rent and have stayed in their accommodation free

As have many very solvent big companies e.g. Boots etc. I assume Boots had a contract too.

According to the Irish Times back in August 2020: "Boots stops paying some landlords as it seeks post-Covid rent deals"

When landlords with borrowings are having difficulties, they seek some leeway from their lenders, including write-offs for the bigger borrowers, so I believe tenants (residential or commercial), should also seek new rent deals, write-offs etc. when the market changes.

There are ups and downs in every business, so I don't see why landlords always believe they are some special case and come out seeking sympathy every time things don't go their way. The state nearly always steps in eventually to bail them out with some back-door scheme like HAP etc. in the end anyway.

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/boots-stops-paying-some-landlords-as-it-seeks-post-covid-rent-deals-1.4331618

• Advertisement

fliball123 wrote: »

Any proof of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

As have many very solvent big companies e.g. Boots etc. I assume Boots had a contract too.

According to the Irish Times back in August 2020: "Boots stops paying some landlords as it seeks post-Covid rent deals"

When landlords with borrowings are having difficulties, they seek some leeway from their lenders, including write-offs for the bigger borrowers, so I believe tenants (residential or commercial), should also seek new rent deals, write-offs etc. when the market changes.

There are ups and downs in every business, so I don't see why landlords always believe they are some special case and come out seeking sympathy every time things don't go their way. The state nearly always steps in eventually to bail them out with some back-door scheme like HAP etc. in the end anyway.

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/boots-stops-paying-some-landlords-as-it-seeks-post-covid-rent-deals-1.4331618

Hugo Boss also received a 24% rent reduction for their Grafton Street store

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/hugo-boss-secures-24-rent-cut-in-new-grafton-street-lease-1.4456393

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

How much are they attributing to the scheme? The last I heard it was something like 75m which is not exactly going to send our Bond yields through the roof.... We are yet to see what is the plan for the roll out of this is.... If it is priced at the low end of the market and for specific builds only then it may not impact overall housing prices and may just just give people that are trapped in rent a leg up...If this was the case it is just a different form of social housing however if it is priced higher than an entry level FTB house then we all know that it will lead to house prices going up and is only lining he pockets of developers.

All independent advise advised against scheme as it was inflationary,
    Unusual to then use it as sulution to affordability

Again a report in UK found that 60% of receipients did not need the program

Another taxpayer funded waste of money that does the opposite to what we are told it is

Hubertj wrote:
    Also need to consider enabling people to purchase a larger property to account for families. FTBer or HTBer or shared equity applicant could have children.

I think the opposite is proposed
    Single or couple applicant restricted to 1 or 2 bed unit

We have been falling down the corruption leader boards over the last few years

Does it count as corruption if the money is passed on systemically rather than under the table brown envelope

Villa05 wrote: »
    All independent advise advised against scheme as it was inflationary,
    Unusual to then use it as sulution to affordability

Again a report in UK found that 60% of receipients did not need the program

Another taxpayer funded waste of money that does the opposite to what we are told it is

I think the opposite is proposed
    Single or couple applicant restricted to 1 or 2 bed unit

Does it count as corruption if the money is passed on systemically rather than under the table brown envelope

We don’t have all the details yet do we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

US embassy to move to old Jurys Hotel site in Ballsbridge
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/us-embassy-to-move-to-old-jurys-hotel-site-in-ballsbridge-1.4475283

Nice piece of business by chartered considering the difficulties they seem to have shifting the apartments next door. Huge site for an embassy although the operation in Ireland is quite large considering border control is carried out in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/construction-shutdown-will-lead-to-housing-shortage-lasting-years-builders-say-1.4474368

Massive drop in housing output expected over the next few years... much of what does become available will be bought for social housing, as they are the only numbers that matter. Carnage ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like significant drag on irish economy for another while....

the ESRI now forecasts an average unemployment rate this year of 17.4%, up significantly from its earlier forecast of 14.5%, "

Covid-19 unemployment shock to last until end of 2023, ESRI warns

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40219892.html?type=amp

Idbatterim wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/construction-shutdown-will-lead-to-housing-shortage-lasting-years-builders-say-1.4474368

Massive drop in housing output expected over the next few years... much of what does become available will be bought for social housing, as they are the only numbers that matter. Carnage ahead...

might have less of an effect if zero immigration and 15% out of work

combat14 wrote: »

The ESRI are predicting 10% unemployment by the end of the year.... The 17.5% is an average for the year which is impacted by the lockdowns in the first half of the year with 25%+ unemployed.

Demand for housing won't drop because of unemployment it will just shift from the private sector to public sector with an increase in HAP payments and a shortage of properties pushing rents higher.... No matter which way you look at it a drop in supply when demand is high is a sh1t shower as people need to live somewhere. And with a supply shortage we are looking at higher rents for everyone including the tax man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

High prolonged unemployment is bad news for most of residents, especially tax payers.

Regarding for property price, you need to look at this issue from multiple sides. While due to some factors it could reduce price, other factors may cause price to increase.

• Advertisement

The ESRI are predicting 10% unemployment by the end of the year.... The 17.5% is an average for the year which is impacted by the lockdowns in the first half of the year with 25%+ unemployed.

Demand for housing won't drop because of unemployment it will just shift from the private sector to public sector with an increase in HAP payments and a shortage of properties pushing rents higher.... No matter which way you look at it a drop in supply when demand is high is a sh1t shower as people need to live somewhere. And with a supply shortage we are looking at higher rents for everyone including the tax man :(

No gaurantee rents will continue to rocket up - they are already very high and rent pressure zones in place across many parts of the state

Rents grew at slowest rate in almost eight years in last quarter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/rents-grew-at-slowest-rate-in-almost-eight-years-in-last-quarter-1.4442735%3fmode=amp

No gaurantee rents will continue to rocket up - they are already very high and rent pressure zones in place across many parts of the state

Rents grew at slowest rate in almost eight years in last quarter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/rents-grew-at-slowest-rate-in-almost-eight-years-in-last-quarter-1.4442735%3fmode=amp

Yes rents are very high and will remain high as the government will end up paying more HAP if we end up with high unemployment and not enough social houses being built... Not good for the people unemployed, the government, tax payers...

It is as I said a sh1t shower and that is before rental supply gets reduced further by banks putting the squeeze on BTL investors who are in arrears because tenants are in rent arrears.

Yes rents are very high and will remain high as the government will end up paying more HAP if we end up with high unemployment and not enough social houses being built... Not good for the people unemployed, the government, tax payers...

It is as I said a sh1t shower and that is before rental supply gets reduced further by banks putting the squeeze on BTL investors who are in arrears because tenants are in rent arrears.

Sinn Fein looking to freeze rents for 3 years ..

govt proposing to replace rent-pressure-zones with new protections (paywall)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-may-replace-rent-pressure-zones-with-new-protections-1.4451571%3fmode=amp

All depends on how many of the immigrant workers remain here if there are no opportunities.

The vast vast majority are here to advance themselves and have little to no interest in remaining here if those opportunities don’t exist.

Not only was much of the pre-Covid projections for housing demand based upon continued mass immigration, it was also highly reliant on our existing immigrant workers remaining here. Their numbers here as a percentage of the population are among the highest of any country in the EU and we’re very susceptible if it should reverse IMO

According to the economist magazine last week;

“In 2020 Europe saw a great reverse migration, as those who had sought work abroad returned home. Exact numbers are hard to come by. An estimated 1.3m Romanians went back to Romania—equivalent to three times the population of its second-biggest city. Perhaps 500,000 Bulgarians returned to Bulgaria—a huge number for a country of 7m. Lithuania has seen more citizens arriving than leaving for the first time in years. Other measures show the same. In Warsaw, dating apps brim with returning Poles looking for socially undistanced fun. Politicians in eastern Europe had long complained of a “brain drain” as their brightest left in search of higher wages in the west.”

Link to economist article here: https://www.economist.com/europe/2021/01/30/how-the-pandemic-reversed-old-migration-patterns-in-europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

The good people of Sandymount and Merrion blocking progress again. This time? A school;

https://www.thejournal.ie/permission-granted-for-two-new-schools-in-sandymount-despite-local-opposition-5344444-Feb2021/

So now we have a cycle lane along the strand, co-living on Merrion Road and Bus Connect. There needs to be a steamrolling of objectors via reform of the planning system. These people are the elite of society, whether they believe they are or not. These people of course I'm referring to home owning objectors to any planning application out of a phobia of change.

All depends on how many of the immigrant workers remain here if there are no opportunities.

The vast vast majority are here to advance themselves and have little to no interest in remaining here if those opportunities don’t exist.

Not only was much of the pre-Covid projections for housing demand based upon continued mass immigration, it was also highly reliant on our existing immigrant workers remaining here. Their numbers here as a percentage of the population are among the highest of any country in the EU and we’re very susceptible if it should reverse IMO

According to the economist magazine last week;

“In 2020 Europe saw a great reverse migration, as those who had sought work abroad returned home. Exact numbers are hard to come by. An estimated 1.3m Romanians went back to Romania—equivalent to three times the population of its second-biggest city. Perhaps 500,000 Bulgarians returned to Bulgaria—a huge number for a country of 7m. Lithuania has seen more citizens arriving than leaving for the first time in years. Other measures show the same. In Warsaw, dating apps brim with returning Poles looking for socially undistanced fun. Politicians in eastern Europe had long complained of a “brain drain” as their brightest left in search of higher wages in the west.”

Link to economist article here: https://www.economist.com/europe/2021/01/30/how-the-pandemic-reversed-old-migration-patterns-in-europe

The issue is that if even if you take into account low immigration we still need 22k+ housing for the next few years according to the ESRI. On top of this a lot if the immigration are high end jobs in tech & pharma so these will still exists so you can't assume immigrants will just leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Everyone goes on about Irelands debt levels despite the fact that we have one of the lowest yields in Europe due to the management of our debt. A credit default swap (CDS) for Ireland will cost you less than one for France. Add on top of this We have one of the youngest demographics in Europe. All these issues are present in most EU states and everyone is happy to kick the can down the road and hope that we see inflation sometime soon.

The reality is that the system is broken at its core and QE is not resolving the issues like they hoped due to liquidity getting trapped in the banks because they are not lending. I would be a lot more concerned about what is coming down the road in the short to medium term as an awful lot of wealth will be destroyed but in the meantime house prices will rise with investors chasing yield.

The post Covid superboom will catapult us out of the doldrums into inflation

bilbot79 wrote: »
    The post Covid superboom will catapult us out of the doldrums into inflation

no sign of it for the next year or two....at the moment its a fight against deflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

The good people of Sandymount and Merrion blocking progress again. This time? A school;

https://www.thejournal.ie/permission-granted-for-two-new-schools-in-sandymount-despite-local-opposition-5344444-Feb2021/

So now we have a cycle lane along the strand, co-living on Merrion Road and Bus Connect. There needs to be a steamrolling of objectors via reform of the planning system. These people are the elite of society, whether they believe they are or not. These people of course I'm referring to home owning objectors to any planning application out of a phobia of change.

I agree. Although I do think the cycle lane (a good idea) will make sh*t of traffic in the area.
    NIMBYism does my head in and I think is a major part of the issue with planning and development in Ireland. People should have a right to object but under specific criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

no sign of it for the next year or two....at the moment its a fight against deflation.

Mass vaccination will be akin to the euro in giving businesses like hospitality the opportunity to jack up prices and swallow up peoples massive savings. I think there will be an enormous splurge that will defy the natural descent into depression and hyperstimulate the economy at ground level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

We don’t have all the details yet do we?

Not yet, but the government's senior officials have advised against it.

I'm sure they may have seen some detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

An anecdotal thing, but surely a large proportion of the pup payment (perhaps largest) is simply being funnelled into property rent, no?

I know of several people, now out of work, receiving pandemic payment and it's in one hand from the government, and out the other hand to landlords. In Dublin anyway.

I fail to see a rationality for how property prices and rental prices are INcreasing during a global pandemic with more people out of work than ever before, and business essentially closed, struggling or altogether wiped out.

It reeks of artificial inflation, in my opinion. Perhaps mixed with some form of desperate speculation?

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Gradius wrote: »
    An anecdotal thing, but surely a large proportion of the pup payment (perhaps largest) is simply being funnelled into property rent, no?

I expect a large proportion of it is also being funnelled into supermarkets for food and utility companies for heat and light no?

In one hand and out the other to Tesco/Dunnes/ESB/Bord Gais.

Not much evidence of rent increases recently either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know of several people, now out of work, receiving pandemic payment and it's in one hand from the government, and out the other hand to landlords. In Dublin anyway.

I fail to see a rationality for how property prices and rental prices are INcreasing during a global pandemic with more people out of work than ever before, and business essentially closed, struggling or altogether wiped out.

It reeks of artificial inflation, in my opinion. Perhaps mixed with some form of desperate speculation?

one explanation is colossal reduction in socialising costs, coffees, meals and drinks out, weddings etc... Maybe getting rid of an expense like a car etc...

Mod Note

TobyHolmes, Improve the standard of your posts if you wish to continue posting.

Do not reply to this post.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    I expect a large proportion of it is also being funnelled into supermarkets for food and utility companies for heat and light no?

In one hand and out the other to Tesco/Dunnes/ESB/Bord Gais.

Not much evidence of rent increases recently either.

The pup payment is 350 a week I think, so 1400 a month. As I say, I know quite a few people, some with hope of a job if things improve, others where the business is completely kaput. They are paying 800/900/1000 odd a month in rent. The majority of the payment is going to rent.

Of course Tesco and the like are indirectly getting some of it too. But the proportion is easily skewed, heavily, toward rent.

The fact of the matter is that property prices have risen, during a pandemic, and I'd like to hear argument as to how it is NOT simply the case that the government's money is not being used to artificially keep property prices where they are, and actually increasing.

It's like watching a football game between France and Germany, Germany is 20 nil up at half-time, yet bookies are offering the best odds on France to win.

It just doesn't add up. Not only does it not add up, it is completely counterintuitive.

The pup payment is 350 a week I think, so 1400 a month. As I say, I know quite a few people, some with hope of a job if things improve, others where the business is completely kaput. They are paying 800/900/1000 odd a month in rent. The majority of the payment is going to rent.

No doubt about it, a large proportion of the population is currently struggling to pay rent/mortgages
    Of course Tesco and the like are indirectly getting some of it too. But the proportion is easily skewed, heavily, toward rent.

I suspect Tesco/Dunnes are getting some of the PUP directly.

As for proportions, the same could be said of wages in normal times. Housing is the largest expense for many/most households.

The fact of the matter is that property prices have risen, during a pandemic, and I'd like to hear argument as to how it is NOT simply the case that the government's money is not being used to artificially keep property prices where they are, and actually increasing

Property prices appear to be fairly static from my observations and rents are decreasing if anything.
    It's like watching a football game between France and Germany, Germany is 20 nil up at half-time, yet bookies are offering the best odds on France to win.

It just doesn't add up. Not only does it not add up, it is completely counterintuitive.

Nope, no idea what that means. :o

Idbatterim wrote: »
    one explanation is colossal reduction in socialising costs, coffees, meals and drinks out, weddings etc... Maybe getting rid of an expense like a car etc...

I know what you mean but, cynically speaking, why should one very specific business class, landlords, be a protected class essentially through government money?

Not only does the struggling cafe lose money, the average client of the cafe is also losing money because their biggest expenditure, rent, hasn't decreased.

It just doesn't add up at all, not if your goal is the protection of a functioning society.

There are parts of the economy that have grown during the lockdown whilst others have been badly impacted.

Add on top of this the fact that some people have been able to save to get a deposit together and a desire to move out of rental accommodation has meant that there is a lot of demand from FTB's with only a limited amount of new houses.

I know what you mean but, cynically speaking, why should one very specific business class, landlords, be a protected class essentially through government money?

I'm struggling to reconcile that statement with reality.

Landlords are currently compelled to continue to provide accommodation even without payment.

• Advertisement

There are parts of the economy that have grown during the lockdown whilst others have been badly impacted.

Add on top of this the fact that some people have been able to save to get a deposit together and a desire to move out of rental accommodation has meant that there is a lot of demand from FTB's with only a limited amount of new houses.

I'm sure there are parts of the economy that have grown. But I fail to see how the overall outlook isn't disastrous. A walk down a street tells you a lot in terms of commerce. Constant, unrelenting news everyday of how this industry and that industry is going down the toilet, both here and elsewhere...

Yet property prices have steadily grown over the last year, good news or bad?

I understand what you're saying, to which I can only say that people are out of their minds betting (essentially what it is, against increasing odds) that things are great. Now is the time to saddle yourself with the largest debt you'll likely ever take? Really?

What I'm interested in is just how the markets react when these pandemic payments end, which will certainly happen this year. Who's going to prop up the prices then?

Where are property prices steadily increasing? Anything I've seen reported has been marginal.

I'm struggling to reconcile that statement with reality.

Landlords are currently compelled to continue to provide accommodation even without payment.

I'm sure the reality is that the majority are doing absolutely fine receiving the pup payment from tenants. Sorry, I mean the rent :p

Hence no reduction in asking prices because the tap has been flowing all through this pandemic.

I'm sure the reality is that the majority are doing absolutely fine receiving the pup payment from tenants. Sorry, I mean the rent :p

Hence no reduction in asking prices because the tap has been flowing all through this pandemic.

I'm not sure what you're referring to now.

Rents appear to be dropping while house prices look like they're fairly static.

Where are property prices steadily increasing? Anything I've seen reported has been marginal.

Marginal, negligible, whatever. The real point is that they haven't reduced.

There is no sane reason for property prices to even stay the same during a pandemic with such impact.

It is entirely irrational. Unless you account for an artificial force in the market, that being the pandemic payment.

Ergo, once the artificially buoying force is removed, which it will be, what happens then?

I'm sure there are parts of the economy that have grown. But I fail to see how the overall outlook isn't disastrous. A walk down a street tells you a lot in terms of commerce. Constant, unrelenting news everyday of how this industry and that industry is going down the toilet, both here and elsewhere...

I understand what you're saying, to which I can only say that people are out of their minds betting (essentially what it is, against increasing odds) that things are great. Now is the time to saddle yourself with the largest debt you'll likely ever take? Really?

What I'm interested in is just how the markets react when these pandemic payments end, which will certainly happen this year. Who's going to prop up the prices then?

Obviously everyone has different opinions and will have different circumstances. If a couple that were saving to buy but were struggling to get a deposit together before covid manage to get a deposit and get on the property ladder they are probably better off even if houses prices fall as they are no longer paying rent.

If you asking do we think there is going to be a economic collapse once PUP payments end it would seem unlikely at present without some-other event occurring.

Ireland was one of the very few countries in the world to grow in GDP terms last year

For new lettings rents are reducing.

For sales, not so much because there are still enough/more than enough buyers for the properties currently on the market.

I'm not sure what you're referring to now.

Rents appear to be dropping while house prices look like they're fairly static.

Just a casual scan around the internet says that both property prices and rental prices have increased over the course of the pandemic. It's not difficult to find.

And even if they were static, how does that make sense either?

There is no sane reason for property prices to even stay the same during a pandemic with such impact.

It is entirely irrational. Unless you account for an artificial force in the market, that before my the pandemic payment.

Ergo, once the artificially buoying force is removed, which it will be, what happens then?

Have you stopped to ask why every asset class has gained value during the year?

Why is the stock market at all time high's?

Why are bond prices at all times high's?

Why have property prices gone up in nearly every developed country in the past year?

https://www.bis.org/statistics/pp.htm?m=6%7C288%7C640

Just a casual scan around the internet says that both property prices and rental prices have increased over the course of the pandemic. It's not difficult to find.

And even if they were static, how does that make sense either?

I don't think your casual scanning reflects the reality.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement