Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭DataDude

There is about 60-65k people in any yearly age group between 15 and 35 age group. The death rate is about 28-29k people per year. Net migration is about 33k/ year.

Assuming that these trends continue and the only real variable is migration it means we need to provide housing for 65-70k people per year. Assuming a house to two people we need 35k units/ year. At 3 we need 23k units / year. Historicall people only bought houses when they formed relationships or were around the 40 age group. Nowadays people tend to want there own space earlier and form small household units.

Minimum I see is 30k units per year

Completely agree with this by the way. Not denying that we need to build many many more houses (as others have suggested before). Just it's a fact that ~50% of best estimate expected growth is coming from migration (which again I agree will continue into the future). I was just disproving a suggestion that we need 20K+ for demographics alone and any migration goes on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

DataDude wrote: »
    I'm sure there is pent up demand. And everyone would like what you are implying to happen - i.e. for there to be a fundamental shift in our society which sees increasing numbers of 18-35 year old's getting out of their family home and buying a house sooner and thus leading to a greater demand for housing from that demographic, not due to growth in their absolute numbers but due to growth in the percentage of those people buying their own homes...Brave call

https://publicpolicy.ie/papers/housing-in-ireland-changing-trends-in-headship-rates-and-tenure-by-age-group/#:~:text=This%20decline%20in%20home%20ownership,less%20than%2061%25%20in%202016.

So I think the 20k + would be needed for the forseeable future at the very least. I mean I am sure a lot of people even after this link you have put up (data up to 2016)would of decided not to buy due to brexit which IMO is one of the reasons why we seen a slow down prior to 2020 but there is no data out there to prove that so its just my own opinion on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

For example, it took us 20 years to get to today's understanding by the former governor of the central bank, where he looked at the data and came to the conclusion that:

"Rankings that put Ireland as the most prosperous state in the European Union are wrong, former Central Bank governor Patrick Honohan says. Taking issue with headline economic data, he says the State’s position is more accurately somewhere between 8th and 12th among the EU-27."

[/url]

As anyone that's ever lived in a Nordic country will tell you of course they're wrong, just like when the whole world laughed at the leprechaun economics a few years back.

Technocrats spinning with graphs can show all they like but lived experience tells me we're behind some of those countries.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hometruths

DataDude wrote: »
    I'm sure there is pent up demand. And everyone would like what you are implying to happen - i.e. for there to be a fundamental shift in our society which sees increasing numbers of 18-35 year old's getting out of their family home and buying a house sooner and thus leading to a greater demand for housing from that demographic, not due to growth in their absolute numbers but due to growth in the percentage of those people buying their own homes...Brave call

https://publicpolicy.ie/papers/housing-in-ireland-changing-trends-in-headship-rates-and-tenure-by-age-group/#:~:text=This%20decline%20in%20home%20ownership,less%20than%2061%25%20in%202016.

No doubt there is pent up supply too. Very little discussion on this anywhere.

fliball123 wrote: »
    So I think the 20k + would be needed for the forseeable future at the very least. I mean I am sure a lot of people even after this link you have put up (data up to 2016)would of decided not to buy due to brexit which IMO is one of the reasons why we seen a slow down prior to 2020 but there is no data out there to prove that so its just my own opinion on it.

Agreed on 20k+ (assuming continued migration, which is a fair assumption in the longer term although given we likely had much less this year I think the net shortfall for 2020/21 will be less than is being implied). Disagreed on latter point. I know I have just preached about how everyone on this forum is too certain about everything they say - but I'd be willing to stake a fairly chunky amount of money that two of the beliefs that you have implied:

A) House prices will rise in the coming years
    B) Home ownership rates will increase in those under the age of 40 (and it was only falling due to concerns about Brexit??)

Will not both come true. They are almost mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

There is about 60-65k people in any yearly age group between 15 and 35 age group. The death rate is about 28-29k people per year. Net migration is about 33k/ year.

Assuming that these trends continue and the only real variable is migration it means we need to provide housing for 65-70k people per year. Assuming a house to two people we need 35k units/ year. At 3 we need 23k units / year. Historicall people only bought houses when they formed relationships or were around the 40 age group. Nowadays people tend to want there own space earlier and form small household units.

Minimum I see is 30k units per year

Unless the net inward migration numbers actually reverse and turn negative in a big way. We have one of the highest number of eastern european populations as a percentage of our overall population in the EU. They're not here for the weather, so any reduction in job opportunities in e.g. retail, tourism, construction etc. and many will leave and leave quickly IMO

I also assume many of the pre-covid projections for housing demand from the existing population going forward included demand from many of these immigrants already living here.

According to the Economist magazine this week titled: How the pandemic reversed old migration patterns in Europe:

"Exact numbers are hard to come by. An estimated 1.3m Romanians went back to Romania—equivalent to three times the population of its second-biggest city. Perhaps 500,000 Bulgarians returned to Bulgaria—a huge number for a country of 7m. Lithuania has seen more citizens arriving than leaving for the first time in years. Other measures show the same. In Warsaw, dating apps brim with returning Poles looking for socially un-distanced fun. Politicians in eastern Europe had long complained of a “brain drain” as their brightest left in search of higher wages in the west. Now the pandemic, a shifting economy and changing work patterns are bringing many of them back. A “brain gain” has begun."

Link to economist article here: https://www.economist.com/europe/2021/01/30/how-the-pandemic-reversed-old-migration-patterns-in-europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

schmittel wrote: »
    No doubt there is pent up supply too. Very little discussion on this anywhere.

Would imagine so - landlords who may have wished to sell with tenants in situ being unable to sell as they can't evict for sale grounds.

There is a slowdown in the property chain also due to Covid you'd expect - only data we have is that mortgage drawdowns for movers/trader uppers has dropped from 11349 in 2019 to 8911 in 2020 (so this reduction in activity has contributed to less properties being on the market).

The impacts of Covid on the demand won't be felt evenly throughout the country and the CSO stats are bringing this out when the regional price indices are examined - Mid East price growth has been strong with Dublin flat for example.

Hard to guage supply

Folks, is this waffle from SF or if we pass CETA could REIT's and funds sue Ireland over potential regulation or increased taxes?

You want a tax on vulture funds? Sorry lads, we might get sued. How about stricter environmental regulations for large carbon emitters? Again apologies, we might lose in court.

It should be clear that this will have a chilling effect on democracy at a time when many see a political establishment that is responsive to the desires of well-heeled corporate interests, but not the needs of ordinary citizens.

The vote on Ceta will be the litmus test for the Greens. No party that considers itself democratic, let alone concerned for the environment, could possibly support its ratification.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40219565.html

Why did you divide by 3 at the end?

But, keep at it. It looks like a person would need several doctorates in statistics to make sense of all the data. But, my rule of thumb is that if something doesn't make sense, it most likely isn't, no matter what the data is currently telling us.

For example, it took us 20 years to get to today's understanding by the former governor of the central bank, where he looked at the data and came to the conclusion that:

"Rankings that put Ireland as the most prosperous state in the European Union are wrong, former Central Bank governor Patrick Honohan says. Taking issue with headline economic data, he says the State’s position is more accurately somewhere between 8th and 12th among the EU-27."

Basically stating the obvious that every single non-statistics person in Ireland has been assuming for the past 20 years :)

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-economy-ranks-only-mid-table-in-eu-honohan-1.4476081

Dividing by 3 at the end was just continuing with a previously made assumption of an average of 3 people per household (I understand the actual number is lower and falling). So 25k additional people "seeking houses" leads to a need for 25k/3 = 8.3k additional houses under that assumption.

I bought my house 2 years ago, it's in a fairly high demand area. A house further down the road that is virtually identical in layout, similar size (both houses have extensions), but definitely is finished nicer than the one we bought, is after going up on the market for over 25% more than the asking price for the house we bought. You could get my house up to the standard of that house for about a third of the gap in asking I reckon. I can't see for the life of me where the asking price is coming from. Can't wait to see what it sells for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Folks, is this waffle from SF or if we pass CETA could REIT's and funds sue Ireland over potential regulation or increased taxes?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40219565.html

I’d prefer to read a balanced objective analysis of the proposed agreement before deciding if I think it is a good idea or not. Sinn Fein don’t have any credibility. Question would be the circumstances under which an entity could take a case. I suspect this part of the treaty is being exaggerated by the usual suspects. Do the positive elements outweigh the possible negatives etc?

Hubertj wrote: »
    I’d prefer to read a balanced objective analysis of the proposed agreement before deciding if I think it is a good idea or not. Sinn Fein don’t have any credibility. Question would be the circumstances under which an entity could take a case. I suspect this part of the treaty is being exaggerated by the usual suspects. Do the positive elements outweigh the possible negatives etc?

Once the benefits/negatives are debated and not put to a vote Christmas week when we were all concerned with Brexit, cause that's what was happening until some within the Greens kicked up a fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Data
    The point I was making on SSIA's was that most people doing them were savers. Savers do not rush out and spend straight away. Opinion at the time that it would all go into property was an incorrect assumption to make.

Pandemic savings are accross the board. They are savings by both spenders and savers, therefore a higher percentage will get spend where is anyone's guess.

You need to step back and ask why savings have increased during the pandemic and why this is the case globally. A lot of people assume it is because people do not have the opportunity to spend with the lockdowns which will contribute to the effect but I still think the main reason is that people are unsure of future events and how it will impact them financially and this is the reason for the increase in savings. This has been the case during every recession and in part contributes to the recession as when people save they stop spending which slows the economy down more.

The 08 crisis came about because the financial system was drained of liquidity and came to a stop and then the house of cards started to fall. A similar event took place in march 2020 but the central banks stepped in and injected liquidity and got the system moving again but no-one has no idea for how long this will last.

The economic forecasts are all for growth in the coming years once Covid is put to bed but there is no guarantee that this will be the case as the financial system is very fragile at the moment and it would not take a lot to have the house of cards crashing down again.

My view on property is that we will see and increase in prices in the next 1-2 years as along as the financial system does not crash.... are house prices or rent levels sustainable at the level they are at is the important question because if you think they are then there is no crash in property coming if you think they are not sustainable then a crash is coming.

In the mean time should you purchase a property all depends on your personal circumstances and whether you believe house prices are sustainable... For example if If you are paying high rent you may be financially better off buying even if the property value drops in a year or two.

There is no one size fits all and any decision is personal and based on a risk/benefit analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So 20.6k properties built last year. Pretty close to estimates of 19.5-20k. Certainly higher than the 16k some posters were suggesting a few months back.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/home-building-survives-covid-but-still-cannot-match-buyers-demand-40053117.html

Looks like DCC may break all their previous records with a developer seeking up to €964k per two bed apartment from the council. Looking at the DCC track record to date, there’s a better than good chance he will receive it IMO

“Johnny Ronan’s Ronan Group is planning to sell 101 apartments at an estimated cost of €66million for social housing to Dublin City Council as part of his plan to construct the two tallest buildings in the country.

The planned package includes one two-bedroom apartment with an indicative cost of €964,030 to the council as part of the Ronan Group’s Waterfront South Central scheme for Dublin’s docklands.

The estimated prices rise to €964,030 for a two-bedroom 86.6m2 unit, with one-bedroom apartments potentially costing the council a variety of prices ranging from €419,020 to €637,705.“

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ronan-plans-to-sell-960-000-apartment-to-council-for-social-housing-1.4476385

Looks like DCC may break all their previous records with a developer seeking up to €964k per two bed apartment from the council. Looking at the DCC track record to date, there’s a better than good chance he will receive it IMO

“Johnny Ronan’s Ronan Group is planning to sell 101 apartments at an estimated cost of €66million for social housing to Dublin City Council as part of his plan to construct the two tallest buildings in the country.

The planned package includes one two-bedroom apartment with an indicative cost of €964,030 to the council as part of the Ronan Group’s Waterfront South Central scheme for Dublin’s docklands.

The estimated prices rise to €964,030 for a two-bedroom 86.6m2 unit, with one-bedroom apartments potentially costing the council a variety of prices ranging from €419,020 to €637,705.“

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ronan-plans-to-sell-960-000-apartment-to-council-for-social-housing-1.4476385

Crazy if DCC pay this but I wouldn't be surprised if they did as this is what people are looking for high rise buildings that make Dublin look like a real city... There is a thread already dedicated to this:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992300&page=12

542082.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Jesus wept.Heads need to roll if thar happens.

If it goes ahead, it can't our ranking on the corruption index.

My view on property is that we will see and increase in prices in the next 1-2 years as along as the financial system does not crash.... are house prices or rent levels sustainable at the level they are at is the important question because if you think they are then there is no crash in property coming if you think they are not sustainable then a crash is coming.

House prices are sustainable at the current level if the taxpayer continues to be the buyer of last resort.

If there is a change of mind in government, or a change of mind in the taxpayer, then the prices are not sustainable at current levels.

House prices are sustainable at the current level if the taxpayer continues to be the buyer of last resort.

If there is a change of mind in government, or a change of mind in the taxpayer, then the prices are not sustainable at current levels.

If the government stopped HAP or buying houses for social housing then that would have a major impact on the market and would see a large increase in homelessness something which I personally can't see the government or the tax payer agreeing to.

Breakdown of house completions for 2020 (Source: CSO)

I was surprised to see that 47% of apartments built in Ireland were all in Carlow and not Dublin.

Apartment Scheme house Single house Total
    Dublin (City Council) 1901 278 80 2259
    Kildare (County Council) 18 1477 168 1663
    South Dublin Co. Co. (County Council) 465 1110 39 1614
    Meath (County Council) 53 1134 325 1512
    Cork (County Council) 65 803 559 1427
    Fingal (County Council) 223 1080 82 1385
    Wicklow (County Council) 136 785 125 1046
    Cork (City Council) 157 819 56 1032
    Galway (County Council) 34 391 430 855
    Dun Laoire/Rathdown (County Council) 396 377 50 823
    Wexford (County Council) 33 317 274 624
    Louth (County Council) 26 478 114 618
    Donegal (County Council) 68 217 289 574
    Kerry (County Council) 55 294 225 574
    Limerick City and County 34 284 201 519
    Waterford City and County 53 297 129 479
    Mayo (County Council) 20 160 243 423
    Clare (County Council) 24 156 218 398
    Kilkenny (County Council) 39 197 145 381
    Laois (County Council) 26 189 119 334
    Tipperary County 22 107 187 316
    Westmeath (County Council) 20 147 126 293
    Monaghan (County Council) 23 72 127 222
    Galway (City Council) 32 156 18 206
    Cavan (County Council) 14 67 118 199
    Offaly (County Council) 2 72 123 197
    Carlow (County Council) 5 116 73 194
    Sligo (County Council) 56 42 81 179
    Roscommon (County Council) 5 48 118 171
    Longford (County Council) 9 54 59 122
    Leitrim (County Council) 0 1 36 37

• Advertisement

If the government stopped HAP or buying houses for social housing then that would have a major impact on the market and would see a large increase in homelessness something which I personally can't see the government or the tax payer agreeing to.

Not suggesting they should abandon their social housing responsibilities.

Just that they should be a bit more price sensitive. i.e if they see a developer is struggling to shift them on open market at X, no need for government to work off X as market rates.

Also if developers cannot sell their houses at X because FTBers cannot afford X, I don't think the government should say don't worry, we will buy 30% of it at X so that you can afford it.

The government is currently the buyer of last resort whatever way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm amazed at the Wicklow figures.
    I know it's a county with strict planning laws but that's such a low number for a county right in the Dublin commuter belt.

ongarite wrote: »
    I know it's a county with strict planning laws but that's such a low number for a county right in the Dublin commuter belt.

Its also amazing that only 15% of housing units were built in Dublin especially seeing as this is where the majority of the population exists and where housing is required unless everyone moves down the country to WFH.

Its also amazing that only 15% of housing units were built in Dublin especially seeing as this is where the majority of the population exists and where housing is required unless everyone moves down the country to WFH.

Kind of logical if you accept that Dublin market was slowing down relative to the rest of the country in 2018/9, and developers were siting on unsold stock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Breakdown of house completions for 2020 (Source: CSO)

I was surprised to see that 47% of apartments built in Ireland were all in Carlow and not Dublin.

Something looks very off with those figures TB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Belt

Same, with Meath it had less than Leitrim, 5 times less than Cavan and 7 times less than Carlow.

Kildare also quite low at around 500. Why arent we building in areas where you would likely see demand?

Graham wrote: »
    Something looks very off with those figures TB.

You are correct I went back and checked them and I obviously messed up sorting the data.. here is the revised data set....

Dublin (City Council) 1901 278 80 2259
    Kildare (County Council) 18 1477 168 1663
    South Dublin Co. Co. (County Council) 465 1110 39 1614
    Meath (County Council) 53 1134 325 1512
    Cork (County Council) 65 803 559 1427
    Fingal (County Council) 223 1080 82 1385
    Wicklow (County Council) 136 785 125 1046
    Cork (City Council) 157 819 56 1032
    Galway (County Council) 34 391 430 855
    Dun Laoire/Rathdown (County Council) 396 377 50 823
    Wexford (County Council) 33 317 274 624
    Louth (County Council) 26 478 114 618
    Donegal (County Council) 68 217 289 574
    Kerry (County Council) 55 294 225 574
    Limerick City and County 34 284 201 519
    Waterford City and County 53 297 129 479
    Mayo (County Council) 20 160 243 423
    Clare (County Council) 24 156 218 398
    Kilkenny (County Council) 39 197 145 381
    Laois (County Council) 26 189 119 334
    Tipperary County 22 107 187 316
    Westmeath (County Council) 20 147 126 293
    Monaghan (County Council) 23 72 127 222
    Galway (City Council) 32 156 18 206
    Cavan (County Council) 14 67 118 199
    Offaly (County Council) 2 72 123 197
    Carlow (County Council) 5 116 73 194
    Sligo (County Council) 56 42 81 179
    Roscommon (County Council) 5 48 118 171
    Longford (County Council) 9 54 59 122
    Leitrim (County Council) 0 1 36 37

The data I shared first was incorrect I have updated it now... Wicklow had 1046
    housing units in 2020... Sorry

Belt wrote: »
    Same, with Meath it had less than Leitrim, 5 times less than Cavan and 7 times less than Carlow.

Kildare also quite low at around 500. Why arent we building in areas where you would likely see demand?

My error I have updated the data set now.... sorry

• Advertisement

My error I have updated the data set now.... sorry

You don’t work for the DCC housing department by any chance? :)

It doesn't seem logical to me... but hey what do I know there must be a demand in Carlow to build 47% of the countries apartments there and it's not just a case of Dublin Spreading out further and further into the country side with people commuting longer distances... At least they have the M9/M7 to get them into Dublin quickly if that is where the work is and they can't work from home.

When you put it like that I agree it does not seem logical.

Hadn't actually looked at your figures too closely, but as it turns out neither had you.

When you put it like that I agree it does not seem logical.

Hadn't actually looked at your figures too closely, but as it turns out neither had you.

I messed up sorting the data.... Have updated the post now with the correct data.

You don’t work for the DCC housing department by any chance? :)

No I get paid by EA's to come on here and post... hope I don't get fired for my stupid mistake :P

You are correct I went back and checked them and I obviously messed up sorting the data.

Pity, it would have been interesting to see the Manhattan-like skyline against the Barrow in Carlow :D

Pity, it would have been interesting to see the Manhattan-like skyline against the Barrow in Carlow :D

Maybe that is the answer... high rise in Carlow must be cheaper than the Dublin Dock lands :D

• Advertisement

2020 house completions Breakdown by Eircode

Row Labels 2020Q1 2020Q2 2020Q3 2020Q4 Grand Total
    W91: Naas 187 139 248 297 871
    H91: Galway 168 100 174 287 729
    A92: Drogheda 159 190 132 218 699
    D24: Dublin 24 115 44 95 436 690
    D15: Dublin 15 81 119 135 276 611
    W23: Celbridge 123 89 146 189 547
    D13: Dublin 13 296 153 28 67 544
    T12: Cork Southside 120 63 164 142 489
    V94: Limerick 118 62 122 183 485
    K78: Lucan 124 77 91 192 484
    C15: Navan 119 111 142 106 478
    A67: Wicklow 106 94 78 95 373
    X91: Waterford 112 68 85 94 359
    T23: Cork Northside 83 53 108 113 357
    A91: Dundalk 56 90 94 111 351
    A63: Greystones 40 48 141 104 333
    D18: Dublin 18 106 52 79 89 326
    V93: Killarney 43 29 112 141 325
    V95: Ennis 57 52 93 109 311
    D22: Dublin 22 7 43 16 242 308
    R32: Portlaoise 58 55 73 120 306
    R95: Kilkenny 88 56 60 95 299
    D01: Dublin 1 102 15 64 107 288
    D08: Dublin 8 144 21 25 96 286
    F92: Letterkenny 48 50 50 117 265
    A85: Dunshaughlin 82 58 51 69 260
    A82: Kells 56 36 73 72 237
    K36: Malahide 47 25 86 67 225
    P51: Mallow 35 31 68 88 222
    Y35: Wexford 63 31 43 82 219
    K67: Swords 96 16 69 34 215
    P43: Carrigaline 49 28 65 59 201
    D09: Dublin 9 3 67 10 117 197
    D6W: Dublin 6W 12 37 20 119 188
    K32: Balbriggan 25 52 53 53 183
    Y25: Gorey 40 36 54 51 181
    Y21: Enniscorthy 30 31 55 63 179
    T45: Glanmire 45 28 40 64 177
    R93: Carlow 20 29 69 57 175
    N91: Mullingar 41 27 41 65 174
    V92: Tralee 31 20 47 73 171
    F93: Lifford 37 33 45 50 165
    R51: Kildare 36 19 56 51 162
    D11: Dublin 11 19 32 9 99 159
    D06: Dublin 6 18 0 54 86 158
    P31: Ballincollig 29 20 57 44 150
    D04: Dublin 4 60 22 35 29 146
    A96: Glenageary 16 10 11 108 145
    F94: Donegal 36 16 39 54 145
    P25: Midleton 31 15 40 58 144
    F91: Sligo 49 7 47 40 143
    A94: Blackrock 21 11 45 62 139
    N39: Longford 20 22 35 60 137
    D05: Dublin 5 10 1 74 51 136
    D14: Dublin 14 55 9 53 16 133
    A98: Bray 15 4 28 83 130
    N37: Athlone 58 22 25 25 130
    H62: Loughrea 18 15 33 60 126
    F26: Ballina 26 17 36 44 123
    D12: Dublin 12 38 1 24 48 111
    R35: Tullamore 36 16 21 34 107
    D07: Dublin 7 6 4 38 57 105
    P12: Macroom 16 12 46 31 105
    D16: Dublin 16 76 1 7 13 97
    H53: Ballinasloe 33 15 20 26 94
    Y14: Arklow 10 13 22 49 94
    P17: Kinsale 11 7 29 46 93
    X35: Dungarvan 18 14 32 29 93
    F28: Westport 37 15 18 21 91
    W12: Newbridge 17 6 33 33 89
    F12: Claremorris 18 14 37 16 85
    F23: Castlebar 26 9 25 20 80
    E41: Thurles 16 16 18 29 79
    P24: Cobh 22 14 11 32 79
    H18: Monaghan 18 16 21 23 78
    P61: Fermoy 59 3 11 5 78
    D02: Dublin 2 57 4 4 11 76
    E91: Clonmel 21 25 18 9 73
    E32: Carrick-on-Suir 16 4 30 21 71
    A75: Castleblaney 4 6 25 34 69
    R14: Athy 18 20 12 17 67
    A81: Carrickmacross 20 11 15 18 64
    F42: Roscommon 8 8 16 30 62
    A83: Enfield 10 15 23 13 61
    H12: Cavan 13 6 18 24 61
    P72: Bandon 12 18 14 17 61
    R56: Curragh 2 4 5 50 61
    Y34: New Ross 12 16 16 16 60
    K56: Rush 45 9 2 2 58
    H54: Tuam 15 13 9 17 54
    H65: Athenry 15 11 9 19 54
    D03: Dublin 3 25 7 14 7 53
    V35: Kilmallock 9 5 17 22 53
    P85: Clonakilty 7 8 13 22 50
    F45: Castlerea 5 10 15 18 48
    P36: Youghal 9 5 8 26 48
    V31: Listowel 7 4 7 28 46
    P47: Dunmanway 15 7 20 3 45
    W34: Monasterevin 11 14 11 8 44
    E34: Tipperary 11 7 9 14 41
    E45: Nenagh 9 5 11 15 40
    F35: Ballyhaunis 15 5 11 9 40
    R42: Birr 8 3 10 19 40
    P81: Skibbereen 8 2 17 10 37
    T56: Watergrasshill 16 3 8 9 36
    K45: Lusk 29 0 2 3 34
    R45: Edenderry 0 1 3 30 34
    A41: Ballyboughal 26 1 3 2 32
    R21: Mhuine Bheag 6 20 3 3 32
    P75: Bantry 13 4 4 10 31
    X42: Kilmacthomas 10 4 11 6 31
    A84: Ashbourne 11 1 2 14 28
    V42: Newcastle West 9 4 7 8 28
    F56: Ballymote 17 1 6 2 26
    P14: Crookstown 9 6 5 6 26
    V23: Caherciveen 2 1 13 9 25
    N41: Carrick-on-Shannon 3 6 7 8 24
    P32: Rylane 3 5 5 9 22
    V15: Kilrush 4 10 5 3 22
    P67: Mitchelstown 3 3 7 8 21
    E53: Roscrea 1 5 8 6 20
    F52: Boyle 7 1 8 4 20
    F31: Ballinrobe 7 1 2 9 19
    H14: Belturbet 5 4 6 3 18
    E21: Cahir 3 1 7 6 17
    E25: Cashel 6 2 4 4 16
    A86: Dunboyne 0 2 3 10 15
    P56: Charleville 4 3 4 4 15
    A42: Garristown 5 3 4 1 13
    D20: Dublin 20 0 1 11 0 12
    K34: Skerries 2 3 2 5 12
    V14: Shannon 4 4 2 2 12
    H16: Cootehill 0 3 0 8 11
    H23: Clones 1 1 0 7 9
    T34: Carrignavar 3 1 2 3 9
    H71: Clifden 2 3 2 1 8
    D10: Dublin 10 1 0 0 5 6
    D17: Dublin 17 0 1 3 1 5
    A45: Oldtown 1 0 1 1 3

4966 3237 5073 7400 20676

Geodirectory reports total housing stock of 2,014,357 in Dec 2019 vs 2,042,426 in Dec 20

This is an increase in housing stock of just over 28,000.

If we got 21,000 new builds where are the other 7k coming from?

Surprised not to see Maynooth on that list.

Surprised not to see Maynooth on that list.

Is Maynooth not under W23: Celbridge

Geodirectory reports total housing stock of 2,014,357 in Dec 2019 vs 2,042,426 in Dec 20

page 5 of 2020 geodirectory report states:
    In the 12 months to December 2020, a total of 21,851 new addresses*
    were added to the GeoDirectory database, equating to 1.1% of the total residential stock.

• Advertisement

Due with lockdowns we did not went for holidays to Spain and because we work from home we did not buy sandwiches in cafe shop.We got our saving increased to historicaly high level at 2000 euros and we gonna spend them buying new 3 beds property at 2000 euros price at cash sale in Dublin city center from Johny Ronnan.This definetly gonna move property market prices up ! So for that reason we gonna save another 50 euros saying no to Netflix and moving to Disney+

Is Maynooth not under W23: Celbridge

It is indeed.

page 5 of 2020 geodirectory report states:
    In the 12 months to December 2020, a total of 21,851 new addresses*
    were added to the GeoDirectory database, equating to 1.1% of the total residential stock.

So the additional 7k increase in housing stock are presumably derelicts brought back to life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads, put yourself down on the social housing list and this 960,000 euro apartment could be yours. One of 101 luxury homes irelands most industrious will be living it up in!

Living in luxury and they are so wealthy, they can live there and not even have to work a day in their lives, thanks to you ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ronan-plans-to-sell-960-000-apartment-to-council-for-social-housing-1.4476385?mode=amp

Probably due to supply like these 47 apartments in Ballybofey (link below) that will be entering supply in 2021 but won’t be recorded in the new build statistics at the end of this year.

Just took my Tin-foil hat back out of storage so I believe we’re going to see more and more similar examples like this going forward.

As was my opinion a while back, many similar type developments across Ireland had been purchased by funds etc. over the past 7 years and by the time those buyers got through the paperwork, fixed them up and got them back into supply would have taken a few years.

We’re at that “few years” period about now and these will turn into an avalanche of up to now hidden existing supply entering the market very quickly in the very near future IMO

Link to Ballybofey apartments in today’s Irish Independent: https://m.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/donegal-apartment-portfolio-sells-for-around-145m-guide-40049618.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads, put yourself down on the social housing list and this 960,000 euro apartment could be yours. One of 101 luxury homes irelands most industrious will be living it up in!

Living in luxury and they are so wealthy, they can live there and not even have to work a day in their lives, thanks to you ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ronan-plans-to-sell-960-000-apartment-to-council-for-social-housing-1.4476385?mode=amp

Literally just came across this article on twitter.

Lost for words, hopefully DCC would not pay this.

So the additional 7k increase in housing stock are presumably derelicts brought back to life?

No I don't think so as they are different data sets so need to be careful comparing them... for example geodirectory includes student accommodation the new completion from the CSO does not.

I did a quick comparison from the 21,851 additions taken from page 5 of the geodirectory report against the cso completion data 20,676

CSO Total Geo Total Difference
    Meath 1512 1282 230
    Wicklow 1046 866 180
    Kerry 574 432 142
    Donegal 574 466 108
    Waterford 479 382 97
    Monaghan 222 147 75
    Sligo 179 130 49
    Limerick 519 478 41
    Longford 122 82 40
    Cavan 199 180 19
    Cork 2459 2442 17
    Tipperary 316 328 -12
    Galway 1061 1075 -14
    Mayo 423 444 -21
    Clare 398 420 -22
    Westmeath 293 333 -40
    Kilkenny 381 423 -42
    Leitrim 37 82 -45
    Roscommon 171 228 -57
    Offaly 197 272 -75
    Laois 334 413 -79
    Louth 618 705 -87
    Wexford 624 744 -120
    Carlow 194 333 -139
    Kildare 1663 1926 -263
    Dublin 6081 7238 -1157

Grand Total 20676 21851 -1175

Probably due to supply like these 47 apartments in Ballybofey (link below) that will be entering supply in 2021 but won’t be recorded in the new build statistics at the end of this year.

Just took my Tin-foil hat back out of storage so I believe we’re going to see more and more similar examples like this going forward.

As was my opinion a while back, many similar type developments across Ireland had been purchased by funds etc. over the past 7 years and by the time those buyers got through the paperwork, fixed them up and got them back into supply would have taken a few years.

We’re at that “few years” period about now and these will turn into an avalanche of up to now hidden existing supply entering the market very quickly in the very near future IMO

Link to Ballybofey apartments in today’s Irish Independent: https://m.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/donegal-apartment-portfolio-sells-for-around-145m-guide-40049618.html

Would be surprised if there were 7k of those around the country.

Whatever the reason, an increase of 28,000 in the housing stock seems to be a pretty healthy chunk of additional housing in any circumstances never mind the fact that country was in lockdown for most of 2020.

Seems like those who were nervous we'd run out of houses to buy even quicker because of covid had no need to panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Literally just came across this article on twitter.

Lost for words, hopefully DCC would not pay this.

Oh they will pay it.the housing waiting lost and homeless numbers are all they care about, they would pay anything to stop them increasing. The only thing they care about is how they look. Their failure is a criminal disgrace. Its off the wall laziness. If economic collapse is the price to pay to stop issues being ignored here, making them fave up to reality, it will be worth it...

Would be surprised if there were 7k of those around the country.

Whatever the reason, an increase of 28,000 in the housing stock seems to be a pretty healthy chunk of additional housing in any circumstances never mind the fact that country was in lockdown for most of 2020.

Seems like those who were nervous we'd run out of houses to buy even quicker because of covid had no need to panic.

The Geodirectory report for 2020 states 21k additions not 28k

542096.JPG

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement