Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do some hate cats?

• 03-01-2021 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

I don't have a cat and won't keep one living in an apartment. I grew up in a rural setting where we had a few cat's, maybe too many, but I couldn't possibly keep one in an isolated environment, instead just to perch on a window sill looking out at what could have been.

I'd like to keep one one day but even if I did I wouldn't say I'm a full on cat nutcase (like my sister :P)

But I just don't get why some ppl hate cats? What's to hate? They look after themselves and their interests - like we do. Even the most smug cat is nicer than the least horrible person I've ever met in life.

And what's this thing with young drivers (or should I say rallyist's) running over them for fun, for kicks. Haha. What an achievement. Here's your medal, congrats.

Anyone who wishes to use this thread as a excuse to post a pic of their cat - is more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Don't get it either. They're beautiful and hilarious to watch sometimes and so graceful. Never had one but maybe one day, I probably get way too excited when I even see one when I'm out on about, or sometimes one comes into my back garden and I lose my sh*t. Can't get it to come over to me, yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Because they're bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Probably because their control freaks, and you can't tell a cat what to do

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't like cats, but I'd never hurt one deliberately, and anyone who did should be prosecuted for it. As for why I don't like them, in my experience a dog is generally happy to see you when you walk in the door, whereas a cat couldn't give a crap. If I was to have a pet I'd want one that wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with it, not one that was indifferent to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I like cats but they’re bastards. Absolute bastards.

Some like that and some don’t, particularly in residential areas where their usefulness in rodent killing is limited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't hate them. I just don't trust them. They are evil and constantly are plotting our demise whilst in the meantime being content with our servitude. ("Our" being humanity, not to include any specific person). They routinely kill lesser beings and leave them for us as reminders as to their ultimate intent for us, as taunts as to the inevitability of their ascension. Such creatures, alien abominations even, cannot be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Not sure....but if somebody tells me they hate cats for me it’s an indicator we won’t get along! Like they don’t have to be a cat lover but if they are a cat despiser....I just think....maybe they are a little evil? Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, dogs are simply amazing animals. Cats not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

People don't like being outwitted by "dumb" animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hate is a very strong word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I hate cats but that's only because we have six and I'm sick of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't particularly mind cats they're grand theres a few around near me, they don't do much but I did get a labrador pup at the start of the year and when out in the garden on his own you could see the few cats stalking him from different angles. They are still ruthless killers. Dont know if even 3 or 4 of them could even kill an 8 week old lab or if they'd ever work together but maybe they could. They were definitely looking to have a cut off him though. I had to chase them away a few times. I can hear them fighting amongst themselves sometimes it can be vicious enough.

Dog is 30kgs now and haven't seen any of the cats near the garden in a long time but the dog absolutely hates cats he goes nuts if he sees one. He will even just look at birds and squirrels and ducks in the park with interest as to what they're doing but doesn't want to attack them or even chase them. Loves every other dog and person he's ever met but cats bring out a side in him nothing else does. I'd say he had a run in with one that he hasn't forgiven, I stopped supervising him in garden when he got big enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

How can i hate this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

I don’t see how anyone could possibly hate cats after watching this:

And they’re a category of comedy unto themselves. I think it’s partially because they seem to take themselves so seriously, completely unaware of their derpiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't hate them. I just don't trust them. They are evil and constantly are plotting our demise whilst in the meantime being content with our servitude. ("Our" being humanity, not to include any specific person). They routinely kill lesser beings and leave them for us as reminders as to their ultimate intent for us, as taunts as to the inevitability of their ascension. Such creatures, alien abominations even, cannot be trusted

Well, I did ask, so I should expect an answer. :eek:

All hail the dark lord of all cats

TiredFavoriteIguanodon-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Gardeners hate them because they **** in vegetable gardens. One of my neighbours has one of these creatures and won't control it so last spring/summer every time I went at my raised beds I got cat **** on my hands. I'm doing some things to try and deter the creature from coming into my garden before spring (spikes, chilli powder, netting, scent etc). If it is still ****ting in my food by March well then sorry but.... I've no idea what happened to your pet and either way you can't prove anything.

YellowLead wrote: »
    Not sure....but if somebody tells me they hate cats for me it’s an indicator we won’t get along! Like they don’t have to be a cat lover but if they are a cat despiser....I just think....maybe they are a little evil? Lol.

See, that's what I was getting at, that visceral hate I don't get for any other common household pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Absolutely wonderful creatures. Clever, funny, and affectionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Ah. Cats are lovely. I haven't had any myself since being a kid (where they kept adopting us), but there were two twins back in my old place who would race to say hi when I came in the gate. They can be very affectionate.

Any person who would run them over is a very sick individual.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Gardeners hate them because they **** in vegetable gardens. One of my neighbours has one of these creatures and won't control it so last spring/summer every time I went at my raised beds I got cat **** on my hands. I'm doing some things to try and deter the creature from coming into my garden before spring (spikes, chilli powder, netting, scent etc). If it is still ****ting in my food by March well then sorry but.... I've no idea what happened to your pet and either way you can't prove anything.

Yeah that may be but I'm talking about cat haters that just hate them pre se.

Gardeners would hate lots of species including moles, rodents, snails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People who hate cats are often fairly dim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I love cats, theyre adorable little weirdos. They are very social and need attention & care but because theyre not overtly friendly like dogs some people cant take to them. They cant be controlled and trained like dogs can either which I think makes some people dislike them.
    Wild cats can be viscous but once tamed theyre ok.

Havnt heard of people trying to run them over, its that true what horrible ****s! animal cruelty of any kind should be severely punished by the law in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I hate cats with a passion. Never liked them. Dogs are a more loyal animal. There's a few stray cats around the place and there won't be any small birds in the area.

KilOit wrote: »
    How can i hate this?

Pinto bean toes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

I just love pussy

SnowyMay wrote: »

Any person who would run them over is a very sick individual.

Yeah that goes on all the time, prolly more so in rural areas i.e. most of the country. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cats are a handy pet for people who don’t really want the commitment of having a pet or having to clean up after a pet. Lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

boombang wrote: »
    Because they're bastards.

Quote attributed to Winston S Churchill

'' i like pigs. Dogs look up to us ; cats look down on us; pigs treat us as equals.''

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I like birds. Cats decimate bird populations so that puts them in my dislike category.
    Also at a young age I saw my Granny being bitten by a cat after she accidentally stood on its tail. The bite punctured an artery and Jaysus the amount of blood everywhere was unreal. It was like a fountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Greatly dislike dogs but I am very fond of the aloof, independent nature of cats. Somehow being murderous assholes that kill everything that moves makes me like them even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

AllForIt wrote: »

And what's this thing with young drivers (or should I say rallyist's) running over them for fun, for kicks. Haha. What an achievement. Here's your medal, congrats.

Who??? How could you even plan to run over a cat? I've been driving 20+ years and never even came close to running over one, how do "rallyists" run them over for fun??

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Cats are a handy pet for people who don’t really want the commitment of having a pet or having to clean up after a pet. Lazy people.

My cats didn't get that memo. They think it's their duty to shíte everywhere. Even when they're outside, if they hear me pouring a fresh fill into their litter trays, there's a stampede inside to be the first to use it. Well, at least the gardeners would be happy with that :D

Absolutely wonderful creatures. Clever, funny, and affectionate.

Yeah, I think it's the fact they come across as clever that some despise them. I mean I think that's a primary reason although I still don't understand why that's a problem (for some).

Cats kill birds but it's not like dogs are angels either. The other day near my house where 100s of brent geese feed I saw a dog charging at them and scaring the sh*t out of them, I've seen it a few times there, the owner thought it was hilarious.
    Also there are no hares left on Bull Island, there were loads when I was a kid, from doggies chasing them around and scaring them to death.
    My friends dogs have torn squirrels apart a few times in local park too.
    Keep your stupid dogs on leads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yeah that goes on all the time, prolly more so in rural areas i.e. most of the country. Sad.
    Find that hard to believe, obviously a person like that would be a danger to the community and likely known criminal with sexual/violent behavior. Can't see it being regular occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Wanker pets for ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Owning a cat is the closest thing I'll get to owning a tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

They would eat you if you were dead. A dog wouldn’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

That's not true. Cats can have a better life with good care. Or they could be cold or in a fight if they're taking care of themselves. Some people would take them in and love them. Says more about yourself with that message.

• Advertisement

They would eat you if you were dead. A dog wouldn’t

Sure about that?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/06/pets-dogs-cats-eat-dead-owners-forensics-science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I have to clean up after them.
    I don't own them.
    I don't hate cats...i hate their owners.
    Cleanest pets you can have...yeah right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cats kill birds but it's not like dogs are angels either. The other day near my house where 100s of brent geese feed I saw a dog charging at them and scaring the sh*t out of them, I've seen it a few times there, the owner thought it was hilarious.
    Also there are no hares left on Bull Island, there were loads when I was a kid, from doggies chasing them around and scaring them to death.
    My friends dogs have torn squirrels apart a few times in local park too.
    Keep your stupid dogs on leads!

Probably not for this thread but dogs off their leads on Bull Island drives me to despair. They run riot there despite the many signs saying dogs should be on a lead. The amount of nests that are destroyed and habitats affected is massive. I actually don't have a problem with the dogs in this case though. It is the owners I blame. Cats affect the songbirds more though.

That's mad. Still, meat is meat I suppose. Well, to a dog anyway :D I wonder would it have anything to do with an anxiety/ them trying to get rid of the body in case of other scavengers or predators etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't like cats, but I'd never hurt one deliberately, and anyone who did should be prosecuted for it. As for why I don't like them, in my experience a dog is generally happy to see you when you walk in the door, whereas a cat couldn't give a crap. If I was to have a pet I'd want one that wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with it, not one that was indifferent to me.

This sums them up,

https://youtu.be/grkbk_3HlV8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Have you never seen a cat get the zoomies? They often leave a trail of chaos and destruction behind! It often seems to be in the middle of the night! Just this morning we had to clean up ribbons, bows, and baubles again. It was like a bomb had gone off! Christmas cleanup redux.

Antares35 wrote: »
    That's mad. Still, meat is meat I suppose. Well, to a dog anyway :D I wonder would it have anything to do with an anxiety/ them trying to get rid of the body in case of other scavengers or predators etc.

No they're just hungry and stupid! Dogwashing at it's finest.

Snotty wrote: »
    Who??? How could you even plan to run over a cat? I've been driving 20+ years and never even came close to running over one, how do "rallyists" run them over for fun??

Well I'll tell you, my dad used to work as a taxi driver, he used to work only at the weekends, mostly shuttling lads/lassies to the local nightclub and back.

We'd get a recounting of lots of things heard by Dad, one was how running down small animals on the road for fun was 'a thing'. And I well believe it.

And by 'rallyist's' I'm obvs not talking about professional rallyist's, I'm talking about the types of young lads who I see every day in the evenings taking the souped up car out for a spin. You know exactly the type I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

touts wrote: »

Get yourself off to your local Smyth's and buy yourself a super soaker. I was having a big problem with the local feral cats using the back garden as both a toilet and somewhere to bed down for the night. They also left a couple of dead birds for me to clean up on the patio. Got a water gun and fired it in their general direction any time I saw one in the garden. Took a while for them to get the message that they weren't welcome, but now it's very rare that I see one in the garden, although I see them on the back wall heading to other gardens all the time. It's a cheap and effective deterrent that doesn't harm the animals in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

Fill the super soaker with female urine instead of water.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement