Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lasagna dish size

Options
  • 03-01-2021 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I'd like to order a few lasagna dishes/trays to bake lasagna in.

I'd like ones that are a standard size if possible. Ones that i don't have to overlap the sheets in. Say 2 or 3 sheets wide by 2 or 3 sheets long (4 or 6 or 9 sheets)

Do these exist ? I make lasagna, freeze them in trays and use them during the week.i usually bake a potato with them. But the dishes I have are all different sizes and we've smashed a couple recently
    Anyway does anyone know if these exits ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

why not build them inside the foil trays and freeze / cook from frozen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't know if the perfect size exists - I've never found one.
    I tend to use whatever dish I have that will hold the size of lasagna that I'm making, usually one for 4 or 8 portions. I gave up trying with dried pasta sheets because of all the snapping and breaking. It's so much easier with fresh pasta, I cut it with a scissors. Aldi's fresh lasagna sheets are very cheap and can be frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have only owned 2 lasagne dishes and the pasta sheets fitted neither one exactly. Like dizzy though I use fresh pasta these days, its not expensive and produces a better result.

Im intending to buy a new lasagne dish sometime soon as the one Ive got at the moment was a TK Maxx quick purchase after I cracked the previous one. Annoyingly though the TK Maxx one isnt deep enough to get four layers of ragu, cheese & pasta into it, it will only manage three layers before its full to the top. Ive measured it at 5.5cm deep so the new one needs to be at least 8cm deep to get in the four layers. Ive looked on Amazon and theres a lot of lasagna dishes out there that arent all that deep (most are 6cm) so if you're buying a new one bear that in mind. I think another thing best avoided is lasagne dishes with sloped walls, they make it tricker to cut out portions and the outer portions will be bigger than inner ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Muahahaha wrote: »
    if you're buying a new one bear that in mind. I think another thing best avoided is lasagne dishes with sloped walls, they make it tricker to cut out portions and the outer portions will be bigger than inner ones.

Aka the portion for the person making it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Turn up in Lidl/Aldi Specials, though I don't know how deep they'd be. Specials twice a year maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tangy wrote: »
    Turn up in Lidl/Aldi Specials, though I don't know how deep they'd be. Specials twice a year maybe

I checked one in Aldi last summer when it came up it was 6cm deep so I didnt buy it. Ikeas ones are 7cm deep but I reckon if you want to your lasagne to be four layers deep you need something at least 8cm, 9cm would be even better so melting cheese isnt bubbling over the edges.

Im still using that excellent recipe for lasagna thats over on the Cooking Club forum and the OP there had a dish that is 34cm long, 24cm wide and 8cm deep which yields nine good portions of lasagne. The recipe is very exacting and if you follow it to a tee you get four layers which fit a dish of that size perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I gave up trying with dried pasta sheets because of all the snapping and breaking.
    they can be soaked in cold/warm/hot water for a while and they should not snap. Obviously the colder the water longer the time needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rubadub wrote: »
    they can be soaked in cold/warm/hot water for a while and they should not snap. Obviously the colder the water longer the time needed.

I used to do that years ago when fresh pasta was hard to find. It's everywhere now and inexpensive too, so I use it all the time for lasagna.

Advertisement