Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

The only real issue is lack of high power chargers.

How much juice can ionity give out on 800v again ?

Going to be expensive here I'd say. I'm thinking I'll go with the VW id.3 tour 5 at this stage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

AMKC wrote: »
    Nope that will be the KIA EV6 and it look much better than this dull car.

Looks are very subjective, I prefer the Ioniq 5 lines, the EV6 looks like someone inflated a Sirocco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

any word on pricing on the hyundai or kia?

cannco253 wrote: »
    HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 First Drive - could this be the electric car of the year? | Fully Charged CARS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2tHJD6mMbE

RHD with real mirrors

I can't imagine the cost of this exact spec. :D

I can't imagine the cost of this exact spec. :D

yeah i think i could live with standard mirrors,don't really need a pair of gimmicky cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

liamog wrote: »
    Looks are very subjective, I prefer the Ioniq 5 lines, the EV6 looks like someone inflated a Sirocco.

True. I prefer the EV6 myself but do think that Kia could have made the front more adventures. Should have swept the bonnet down more. Hyundai could have done the same with the Ioniq 5.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Like the shape and concept of this car. But why do cars have to keep getting bigger? Also all the trim bits would drive me mad. But certainly wouldn't say no to one and will be a serious contender in a few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You say that like it's a bad thing. :P I always loved the Scirocco styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I slightly prefer the EV6 design as it sits less tall. The Ioniq 5 is beautiful, however. Everyone refers to the Hyundai Pony and the retrostylistic design but to me it looks like they took a Golf with 17" wheels and then embiggened it to match the height of an SUV. For this reason it keeps its classic Golf-like proportions but it is a very wide car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

but to me it looks like they took a Golf with 17" wheels and then embiggened it to match the height of an SUV. For this reason it keeps its classic Golf-like proportions but it is a very wide car.

There is a look of 80's Golf about it, coupled with the 8bit style lighting, I think it's one for fans of the 80s.

• Advertisement

image?fit=1280%2C720&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn0.tnwcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F1%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F04%2FScreenshot-2021-04-21-at-09.52.04.png&signature=368004a7df33d4efd84324c1723363a4

Picture next to a Tesla Model 3

am still looking at an enyaq-available to test drive at the end of may i'm told(35-40k budget)don't need loads of bells and whistles just scooting around country roads but keeping an eye on kia and hyundai but concerned about their pricing,like the look of the kia-don't know whether i love or hate the hyundai,have to see in the flesh i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

image?fit=1280%2C720&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn0.tnwcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F1%2Ffiles%2F2021%2F04%2FScreenshot-2021-04-21-at-09.52.04.png&signature=368004a7df33d4efd84324c1723363a4

Picture next to a Tesla Model 3

Is it just me or does the lad behind the Tesla look like he was (badly) airbrushed into that shot?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the lad behind the Tesla look like he was (badly) airbrushed into that shot?

No he's definitely been photo shopped in but I have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Redfox25 wrote: »

He's 8 foot tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Could be Liamog.......
    Giant of a man!

Yeah I've no idea why that guy is there, was just a photo I found on reddit, please use Koreans for scale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtkTPtj_N0

Battery Life

from EUR 41,900 in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭MarkN

Trying to get my hands on one as soon as to film. Reckon we’ll have some 800v chargers here within a year.

The unit's going into Mayfield are technically capable of 800V mode, so hopefully eCars enable it.

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtkTPtj_N0

Battery Life

from EUR 41,900 in Germany

interesting, 42k before grants in Germany for the base (not bad spec either) thanks ps that's jurgen klopp's brother doing the video!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

MarkN wrote: »
    Trying to get my hands on one as soon as to film. Reckon we’ll have some 800v chargers here within a year.

Any Ionity charger should be able to do 800V, I'll check the ones on the M1 next time I'm driving that way, there's usually a label on them with the specs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Any Ionity charger should be able to do 800V, I'll check the ones on the M1 next time I'm driving that way, there's usually a label on them with the specs

Somebody snapped a Tycan pulling 220kW at Kill of I'm not mistaken, can't remember what thread :(

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The only real issue is lack of high power chargers.

How much juice can ionity give out on 800v again ?

Going to be expensive here I'd say. I'm thinking I'll go with the VW id.3 tour 5 at this stage.

Plenty! 350kW/500A, or 175kW/375A. Just depends what the car batteries can take really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTDxfpZmZM

German Video

up to 221KW charging speed sustained at over 180kw for most of the charging cycle and went from 12 to 80% in 18 minutes.

That's seriously impressive. 35kWh added in 10 minutes, close to 200km range. I'd barely have time to get to the counter in a CircleK in 10 minutes :eek:.

This is from an economy Korean manufacturer - charge starting off at 180kWs & increasing. Meanwhile, we are still rolling out 50kW DC chargers & acting as if that's great! Until 2023 :(.

It's so demoralising but wow, it looks like the Koreans are really going to drive EV progress on at pace.
    I do prefer the look of the EV6 but I wouldn't say no to an Ioniq 5 to be honest :).

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeah, the looks don't really do it for me, but it might be nicer in the flesh. Either way it was always a non runner with Kearys as my local dealer(s). Bridges burnt.

Fair play to the Koreans though, really pushing the Ev tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Somebody snapped a Tycan pulling 220kW at Kill of I'm not mistaken, can't remember what thread :(
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116880794&postcount=888
    It will be interesting to see the efficiency of the charging. My understanding is that they use the motor as transformer to increase the voltage thus reducing the current. But transformer works only in AC which means take DC convert to AC then convert back to DC. Or maybe I understood something wrong.
    It seems that 800V is a logic step in increasing charging speeds as it can basically double the power delivered for the same conductor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Only the newer Ionity sites here are 350kW capable.
    Legacy ones (Gorey, Cashel etc) are 150kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Well Hyundai did a Hyundai when they launched the Kona here. Basic of basic spec for top money. UK got a much nicer finish for their money

The bits the Kona had removed for Ireland werent things built into the design of the car in the way 800 volt charging is with Ioniq 5.

With the headlights - is there even a halogen headlight for Ioniq 5????.

I suspect this Ioniq 5 will be resistent to Paddy spec nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Old diesel wrote: »
    The bits the Kona had removed for Ireland werent things built into the design of the car in the way 800 volt charging is with Ioniq 5.

With the headlights - is there even a halogen headlight for Ioniq 5????.

I suspect this Ioniq 5 will be resistent to Paddy spec nonsense

Lets hope there won't be scope for a Paddy spec. The halogen thing was a jest from my side but I would not expect any generosity from the importers. I'm basically afraid that Hyundai Ireland will price the lowest spec model above the odds, i.e. what happened with Enyaq and Kona to name some. The L40 Launch Ed was missing heated seats and steering wheel compared to UK etc. etc.

Watched the UK videos last night and the Ioniq 5 continue to seem like a winner. Wonder if the RWD models get a tow rating? Even the RWD ID.4 for example is pretty impressive in that respect (edit, actually not that impressive: RWD has tow rating of 1000 kg which is the same as TM3. No news on Ioniq RWD tow rating yet) and the 73 kWh Ioniq 5 would make quite an accomplished tow vehicle with a good charging network with the great charging rate.

Advertisement