Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Hyundai IONIQ 5 Review – Let me show you what IONIQ 5 looks like at Night!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMiCWwSWt4g

Not sure what to make of this the more I see of it. Screen seems a big laggy and more plastic then I thought on the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKuy2EvsDXM
    We drove the Hyundai IONIQ 5 until the END! – The Ultimate EV Car Range Test with the IONIQ 5!

we gotta install microwave ovens....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Good review from fully charged..

https://youtu.be/c2tHJD6mMbE

I think this has a few key advantages over the id4. V2l being great for people who love camping and the outdoors. Opens up huge opportunities for campsites with no electric being a lot more family friendly.

Lantus wrote: »
    Good review from fully charged..

https://youtu.be/c2tHJD6mMbE

I think this has a few key advantages over the id4. V2l being great for people who love camping and the outdoors. Opens up huge opportunities for campsites with no electric being a lot more family friendly.

I certainly wouldn't buy the car based on it's ability to pull some AC power, it's a great idea of course but a hundred Watts or few hundred watts of Solar Pv and a battery might might work just as well, there's even rollable solar Pv panels these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I certainly wouldn't buy the car based on it's ability to pull some AC power, it's a great idea of course but a hundred Watts or few hundred watts of Solar Pv and a battery might might work just as well, there's even rollable solar Pv panels these days.

I'd have bought it last weekend, had a power cut for half the day. Heat pump, electric cooking, the house is literally useless without power

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I'd have bought it last weekend, had a power cut for half the day. Heat pump, electric cooking, the house is literally useless without power

Seriously though, there are other alternatives like a generator, all i'm saying is that i wouldn't let it be the factor in my decision to purchase the car.

it's not going to power your house, cooker or heat pump. so might as well have a generator, do the same thing or just get an inverter and connect it to a normal Ev 12v battery with the car powered on.

the ioniq 5 doesn't as far as i'm aware doesn't have the ability to connect to power the whole house in the event of a power cut that would probably be a v2G system to allow that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seriously though, there are other alternatives like a generator

banned

:p

unkel wrote: »
    banned

:p

anim_63.gif

Seriously though, there are other alternatives like a generator, all i'm saying is that i wouldn't let it be the factor in my decision to purchase the car.

Well, if you're already spending the money and the V2G feature is a few hundered extra, then I'd say it's worth it

I wouldn't switch from the lowest trim to the highest just to get the V2G, that would be some fairly strange economics :)
    it's not going to power your house, cooker or heat pump. so might as well have a generator, do the same thing or just get an inverter and connect it to a normal Ev 12v battery with the car powered on. the ioniq 5 doesn't as far as i'm aware doesn't have the ability to connect to power the whole house in the event of a power cut that would probably be a v2G system to allow that.

That's the plan :DIn the short term I wouldn't attempt to power the entire house from the car, but if I can get enough to power the fridge and the microwave or an electric heater then that'll be plenty for a power cut

In the long term I'm planning to get Solar PV and batteries, so that'll offset the power cut situation somewhat, but I could still use the car to augment this setup

I imagine Hyundai will be bringing out a wallbox which can take advantage of the V2G capabilities of the car. I'm guessing it'll be along the form of a Zappi charger in reverse, where it senses the house is importing power and draws power from the car to offset this if possible

This could be used to trickle charge the house batteries if they get low in winter

If I had free work charging (looking at you Mad_lad ;)) and could spare around 10kWh from the car each day I could also bring home a day's worth of electricity to charge up the house batteries with

Now that's what I'd call carry home fuel :D

• Advertisement

It's a USP which together with multiple other points give it an edge. Running a fridge and kettle or coffee machine when camping is just brilliant. Combined with a big boot and tow bar and hopefully roof bars this becomes a versatile family machine.

There is an id4 thread on diy wiring the hv circuit to do same so clearly it's a desirable element.

People buy cars on shape colour and fashion alone. Purchase on highly practical and functional elements seems sensible by comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a USP which together with multiple other points give it an edge. Running a fridge and kettle or coffee machine when camping is just brilliant. Combined with a big boot and tow bar and hopefully roof bars this becomes a versatile family machine.

Agreed. It's a fairly easy modification to have functionality like this in pretty much any EV for very little money. You need to have a fused loop onto your 12V aux battery, connect a pure sine wave inverter to it, of far less power than the car's DC-DC converter (and less max amperage well less than the fuse) and Bob's your uncle. My own system cost about €140 and the bulk of that was the inverter (just 600W). The car needs to be switched on though (so the DC-DC converter can provide the juice, not the lead acid battery itself or you'll be stranded in no time :D)

I drove around with a microwave oven in the frunk of my car for a while. Never used it - didn't go camping or hiking during that time - but the idea was cool :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If I had free work charging (looking at you Mad_lad ;)) and could spare around 10kWh from the car each day I could also bring home a day's worth of electricity to charge up the house batteries with

Now that's what I'd call carry home fuel :D

Charging a battery to charge a battery to supply a house is grossly inefficient, you'd want to serious look at any savings versus battery management

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Charging a battery to charge a battery to supply a house is grossly inefficient, you'd want to serious look at any savings versus battery management

I agree, but when energy is free then everyone tends to stop caring about efficiency :)

I suppose another way of looking at it would be that you can augment you battery capacity in winter when you're likely not getting enough from solar panels to cover your daily usage

There is an id4 thread on diy wiring the hv circuit to do same so clearly it's a desirable element.

People buy cars on shape colour and fashion alone. Purchase on highly practical and functional elements seems sensible by comparison!

lol surely the attraction to getting out camping is leaving the electronics at home ?

lol surely the attraction to getting out camping is leaving the electronics at home ?

True but unless you want cold beans you'll need something to cook on, and personally I prefer electric to gas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf. Many people will be carrying phones for cameras and drones for capturing video etc. There's always power consumption for camping

True but unless you want cold beans you'll need something to cook on, and personally I prefer electric to gas
    listermint wrote: »
    Tbf. Many people will be carrying phones for cameras and drones for capturing video etc. There's always power consumption for camping

FFS might as well go to a BnB then.

I can just imagine some people going camping glued to tablets and phones in a tent, Children and all then complaining they're bored because they're doing what they do all day long anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

I seen this coming up in Aldi on Wednesday, will this be of any help ?

Auto XS Power Inverter for just €29.99. Check it out: https://www.aldi.ie/p/804720466469800

Yes, but not cold beer. A line must be drawn. I'm an adventurer, not an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

FFS might as well go to a BnB then.

I can just imagine some people going camping glued to tablets and phones in a tent, Children and all then complaining they're bored because they're doing what they do all day long anyway. :D

Or you know people capturing events for posterity.

But you do you. Others will do them. No need to get annoyed about other people's holiday experiences.

listermint wrote: »
    Or you know people capturing events for posterity.

But you do you. Others will do them. No need to get annoyed about other people's holiday experiences.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6JEI-6a1CtV7q_xOU8z3KVcqE-ONVcioRSQ&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

going off on a tangent here folks maybe?,any fresh news on pricing on ioniq 5 then or spec?any ev 6 info appreciated too.

John arse wrote: »
    going off on a tangent here folks maybe?,any fresh news on pricing on ioniq 5 then or spec?any ev 6 info appreciated too.

That's funny, your name and the Pic above!

165-1656084_emoji-world-lol-transparent-background-lol-emoji-hd.png

That's funny, your name and the Pic above!

165-1656084_emoji-world-lol-transparent-background-lol-emoji-hd.png

the cheek of you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Signed up to "register of interest" for the Ioniq 5.

After seeing the reviews and that charging curve, this is the spiritual successor to the Ioniq 28 and will look well beside my cybertruck in my future EV garage!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Signed up to "register of interest" for the Ioniq 5.

After seeing the reviews and that charging curve, this is the spiritual successor to the Ioniq 28 and will look well beside my cybertruck in my future EV garage!
    ev6 earth on carzone €56650,ioniq 5 also poa

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So €51650 after the SEAI grant? Feels like EV prices are going up, not down these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq isnt out yet

Dont want the ev6

Price is fair as it's a jump forward in tech

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Price is fair as it's a jump forward in tech

Makes sense for the fully loaded first editions, not so much for the base trims

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the lower specs become available. Will Hyundai only sell the more profitable spec to inflate the price

Kia in particular were holding the price of the E-Niro high since they were selling everything they built and were under no pressure to bring out a lower spec

There's definitely a game of chicken going on at the bottom end of the market, there's quite a few EVs selling for around €27-29k.

I've no doubt several of them could be priced lower but since the manufacturers know they'll sell at the higher price then that's where the price will stay

Advertisement