Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

From early reviews a few things worth noting in context of price.

1) these are quite a big car - bigger then it's hatchback styling implies.

2) because of 1 - very roomy inside.

3) lovely to drive and travel in even though the early review cars weren't fully signed off.

4) goes very well - fast acceleration etc.

5) While there are very few high speed chargers in Ireland - nonetheless the 800 volt stuff is good future proofing.

Comparing this to what an eNiro costs is a bit like comparing a Golf 1.5 tfsi to a Golf R in my opinion.

As a vehicle this is comparable to a Model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Old diesel wrote: »
    As a vehicle this is comparable to a Model 3

A Model Y even :p

Agree though, the Ioniq 5 / Kia EV6 / Tesla Model Y are likely to be top of the pack of the mid price family size SUVs. Can't wait to see some proper comparison tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It seems like 49900 is the new 39900 for any of the newer interesting EVs. The RWD models with about 150kW/200ish HP of power didn't interest me, and based on the German prices a model offering same sort of acceleration that a Tesla Model 3 SR+ is likely to be a 60k+ car. It's a pity as on paper this is a winner.

Based on the expected delivery times and the new VRT rules I'd be looking for a delivery in 2022 and high VRT so just ordered a Model 3 LR instead this week after having a go on one of those. For a family unit of 2 the Ioniq 5 would have been too large anyway.

Let's hope the prices will be a pleasant surprise though in Ireland. And if you are just looking for a bare bones RWD which has an ok performance compared to diesel SUVs I suspect it won't so bad. A friend who normally drives a diesel said that ID.4 was very quick and these will be similar in acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

rang my local hyundai yesterday ,he was kinda clueless which both surprised and shocked me but anyway what he did say was that they're having big issues getting stock in and ioniq 5 could be oct/nov before going on sale and a 50k pricetag but take that with a pinch of salt but kona electric is around 39-40k so methinks the ioniq gonna be around 44-45k to start with including grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

John arse wrote: »
    rang my local hyundai yesterday ,he was kinda clueless which both surprised and shocked me but anyway what he did say was that they're having big issues getting stock in and ioniq 5 could be oct/nov before going on sale and a 50k pricetag but take that with a pinch of salt but kona electric is around 39-40k so methinks the ioniq gonna be around 44-45k to start with including grants.

A car salesman being clueless about an upcoming EV? I am shocked, shocked I tell you! :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

A car salesman being clueless about an upcoming EV? I am shocked, shocked I tell you! :D
    you'd think the gob****es would be someway informed and knowledgeable about their future products???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been to car dealers and asked about upcoming non-EVs they aren't much better.

drove an enyaq during the week-beautiful car,both in looks(dark grey met with upgraded alloys ) and on the road but guess what according to salesman you can't buy one till next year,we've no stock,we don't know how much they are,we're waiting for the budget(October!)come back after that.WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

drove an enyaq during the week-beautiful car,both in looks(dark grey met with upgraded alloys ) and on the road but guess what according to salesman you can't buy one till next year,we've no stock,we don't know how much they are,we're waiting for the budget(October!)come back after that.WTF.

Yep most of the dealers just want to pedal ICE vehicles. They do not seem to be interested in EV sales. Even though most of the car ads on terrestrial TV are promoting EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe complain to Hyundai Ireland. Probably one of the many poor customer experiences people get in various dealers of various marques

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Maybe complain to Hyundai Ireland. Probably one of the many poor customer experiences people get in various dealers of various marques
    no point in complaining to hyundai about a skoda?;)

I was going to say something but you beat me to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Doug DeMuro has a review up - THIIIISS!! looks very nice!

I had Skoda written in original post but edited it because it's the Hyundai thread so wasn't sure if you were confused.

I'd say then you got a bad dealer. Skoda has a full pricing system on their website .

fricatus wrote: »
    Doug DeMuro has a review up - THIIIISS!! looks very nice!

It's a nice looking car tbf. But I still can't get over the comical oversized hatchback. Like the golf plusz hated it. It's too big for the style of vehicle looks out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

Would have to agree, it definitely looks ‘awkward ‘. Fantastic that they are pushing the boundaries but can’t see it being successful.

listermint wrote: »
    I had Skoda written in original post but edited it because it's the Hyundai thread so wasn't sure if you were confused.

I'd say then you got a bad dealer. Skoda has a full pricing system on their website .
    i said that to him and showed him the skoda pricing on my phone ,he hummed and said yeah but there's none available at that price???:eek::eek::eek:,anyway got a spin outta one at least,will wait now for the ioniq and ev6 as well

looks weird but wonder if it could look very dated after a couple of years

looks weird but wonder if it could look very dated after a couple of years

I have to agree. I was kind of on the fence when I saw it first. The more I see it and the more reviews I see I like it even less. It’s worse on the inside. Thumbs down from me.

Here's battery place review on youtube. very high consumption of over 30 kwh/100km on roads like this which were wet, i have never seen this high consumption in the i3 rex no matter how hard I've driven it, cold wet windy weather 140 Km/hr, this is really mad for hyundai. 204 kms to 9%

Does anyone know the battery kwh ? unfortunately he hasn't posted a charging video yet but the best of charging could not make up for that consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

Here's battery place review on youtube. very high consumption of over 30 kwh/100km on roads like this which were wet, i have never seen this high consumption in the i3 rex no matter how hard I've driven it, cold wet windy weather 140 Km/hr, this is really mad for hyundai. 204 kms to 9%

Does anyone know the battery kwh ? unfortunately he hasn't posted a charging video yet but the best of charging could not make up for that consumption.

72.6kwh battery. These consumption figures are pretty bad alright.

72.6kwh battery. These consumption figures are pretty bad alright.

I’m not surprised really. Even the WLTP figures are crap and we all know how inaccurate they are in the real world. This car is a total waste of money. Cannot compete with better alternatives.

Here's battery place review on youtube. very high consumption of over 30 kwh/100km on roads like this which were wet, i have never seen this high consumption in the i3 rex no matter how hard I've driven it[/YOUTUBE]

i3 is a super mini, Ioniq 5 is a large crossover. Of course it is going to consume more electricity! My Tesla is bigger and heavier again and I don't have to do anything funny to get consumption to go well over 30kWh / 100km even sometimes doing close to 40kWh / 100km

Main thing there is that it's a 130km/h test, drag is going to be pretty fierce at that speed, exponentially worse than 120 or 110

Also you can't drive that fast on our roads, and if you do you're likely to encounter the back end of someone who isn't going as fast. So it's a bit invalid anyway

Still, it's not brilliant, considering this is the same company that gave us the Kona I'd have expected better. I'm fairly sure the ID.4 can do the same, so you'd have to wonder what the Ioniqs edge is now

Also you can't drive that fast on our roads

Can you not? :D

unkel wrote: »
    Can you not? :D

Okay, should not :)

Please do not take that as a challenge

unkel wrote: »
    i3 is a super mini, Ioniq 5 is a large crossover. Of course it is going to consume more electricity! My Tesla is bigger and heavier again and I don't have to do anything funny to get consumption to go well over 30kWh / 100km even sometimes doing close to 40kWh / 100km

True I suppose but the i3 isn't very aerodynamic at speed , I guess the 5 isn't either. But the id.4 does better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Impressive DC speed but does it make up for the inefficiency ?

• Advertisement

Impressive DC speed but does it make up for the inefficiency ?

LOL, what inefficiency? It's an EV and unless it has extremely good aerodynamics (like all Teslas and the classic Hyundai Ioniq) it will be very inefficient at 130km/h GPS speed. The original Leaf even when brand new has no more than 80-90km or so range at that speed. Less in winter.

Advertisement