Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cool, I could plug in in work and power the house when I get home :D

I can do that already with my 7 year old EV ;)

Not only power the house, but power my home attached battery too so the house can still run "off my car" when the car is no longer even there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Patser wrote: »
    What are we reckoning on the road price in Ireland, assuming they do only supply rwd model?

Always interesting to make a guess, before prices available.. I am usually miles out..

58kWh. "Special" Irish spec. Cloth checked pattern seats, full safety suite incl ACC, 18" wheels. €39K. (RWD) Lower power.

72kWh. Same spec. 20" wheels €49K. (RWD) More powerful.

Only a guess, anyone else any idea? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

unkel wrote: »
    I can do that already with my 7 year old EV ;)

Not only power the house, but power my home attached battery too so the house can still run "off my car" when the car is no longer even there :D

7 year old EV with an inverter you had to buy separately and connect yourself, and is not 3.6kW, right? Not quite the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Patser wrote: »
    What are we reckoning on the road price in Ireland, assuming they do only supply rwd model?

For the project 45 model I'd say 55-60k, based on the prices mentioned in Germany (59k)

The lower spec model will probably end up around 35k to compete with the base ID.4

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Built in inverter. Hyundai apparently said it can charge another car, so we are likely talking 2-3kW, which would be super exciting. Particularly if it can do bi-directional charging.

3.6kW

And yes, it can do bi-directional AC charging. Now that is pretty revolutionary.
    I guess the first ever production car that can do this? It's the one killer feature that I'd like more than anything else in an EV (I guess apart from level 5 autonomous driving :D)

• Advertisement

3.6kW

And yes, it can do bi-directional AC charging. Now that is pretty revolutionary.
    I guess the first ever production car that can do this? It's the one killer feature that I'd like more than anything else in an EV (I guess apart from level 5 autonomous driving :D)

It looks like the output is via the same plug as charging for V2V charging

I feel like they missed a trick there, if they had 2 plugs, input and output, you could daisy chain 2 cars together from a single charger

It'd be half speed of course, but it could be an option for those 2 EV households that only have 1

It'll also be great when we have electric recovery vehicles if they have V2V charging, so they don't have to carry a generator for the odd time an EV runs out of battery on the road

It'll also be great when we have electric recovery vehicles if they have V2V charging, so they don't have to carry a generator for the odd time an EV runs out of battery on the road

I thought they had an on board battery pack for that? Would make far more sense. A 10kWh 48V battery pack could give a user a charge of 7.2kW, so well over 3kWh into the car in 30 minutes, while the recovery man and the customer have a coffee / smoke / chat, should be enough to get home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

3.6kW

What about rectangular lights.!

Surely that's killer :D

I thought they had an on board battery pack for that? Would make far more sense. A 10kWh 48V battery pack could give a user a charge of 7.2kW, so well over 3kWh into the car in 30 minutes, while the recovery man and the customer have a coffee / smoke / chat, should be enough to get home :D

Seems a bit dependant on the recovery company, I know that battery packs have been developed but from what I've seen of people's experiences running out they seem to carry generators mostly

To me, an electric van with bi directional charging is better as it saves space in the van for other stuff, rather than needing a big battery pack.

Obviosuly it cuts into the van's range, but as you say people typically only need a few kWh to reach a nearby fast charger

listermint wrote: »
    What about rectangular lights.!

Surely that's killer :D

Yeah I have to say those are some of the coolest looking lights I've seen on a car

If I wasn't set on the ID.4 I'd probably be trying to put a deposit down on an Ioniq 5

I need to convince the missus to get one :D

• Advertisement

Seems a bit dependant on the recovery company, I know that battery packs have been developed but from what I've seen of people's experiences running out they seem to carry generators mostly

You would need a >7kW continous generator, they are expensive and big. And then there are the emissions and noise when running it. Would not make sense to me at all when you can buy a good battery pack and a heavy duty inverter for reasonable enough money

A 5kWh or even 10kWh battery pack is not big anyway although you wouldn't just pick the latter up and walk around with it for a bit :D
    If I wasn't set on the ID.4 I'd probably be trying to put a deposit down on an Ioniq 5

You haven't done a deal yet on the ID.4 and you are not urgently needing a new car? Then I would hold off if I were you to see how this pans out. Depending on pricing of course, the Ioniq 5 could be a better car for the money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Powerwall 2 has AC 5kW continuous and 7kW peak, contains it's own BMS and weights 120kgs, surely possible to mount that in a Recovery Vehicle?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You would need a >7kW continous generator, they are expensive and big. And then there are the emissions and noise when running it. Would not make sense to me at all when you can buy a good battery pack and a heavy duty inverter for reasonable enough money

A 5kWh or even 10kWh battery pack is not big anyway although you wouldn't just pick the latter up and walk around with it for a bit :D

Oh I agree, I'm just sharing what I've seen. I'm guessing they got the generators on the cheap from somewhere :rolleyes:

You haven't done a deal yet on the ID.4 and you are not urgently needing a new car? Then I would hold off if I were you to see how this pans out. Depending on pricing of course, the Ioniq 5 could be a better car for the money

Deal is done, deposit paid and I am sorely in need of a new car this year. I'll be honest, I like the interior of the ID.4 more and I feel it'll have more usable boot space. The Ioniq wins the exterior looks competition hands down without a doubt

The two things I'll say against the Ioniq is that I'd say they'll be pricey and the supply will be low for 2021, based on the E-Niro and Kona

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and Hyundai will have to divert batteries to replace the Kona/I38 disaster, this would (I assume) limit new vehicle numbers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Deal is done, deposit paid and I am sorely in need of a new car this year.

No doubt the ID.4 will be an excellent car and there is always something new / better around the corner, we can't just wait forever to buy our next car :D

And once VW have a better handle on the software and can do OTA updates, they look like they have a winning range of EVs on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

This is one of the more interesting Ioniq 5 Videos I've seen recently - a lot of the other videos seem to be the same shots/info repackaged.

Very interesting car alright - lets hope Hyundai Ireland don't screw us over on price / "Irish Spec" like they did with the Kona when it came out!

Better competition now, especially with the ID4, so it might make them sit up & take a bit more notice.

Later versions / revisions of the car will have car to grid power transfer (not these initial ones though).

Tuscon size (although it really doesn't look it from the external shots - seems far more compact - maybe its like the Tardis :-)).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically they tow you to the nearest public charge point (that's working). This makes sense and then they can leave you to charge at 7kW+ , and they can go to next customer.

There is a crowd in Rathnew County Wicklow that make jump start packs for ICE and they have an EV version

https://www.jtmpower.com/collections/electric-vehicle-support-products-evse
    From 11,000 euro..

Even at 7kW it would be relatively slow,

V2V is great in theory and will be of some use when many cars have it. If it needs a special cable (car to car) vs standard car to charge point, then people won't have the cable/adapter when they need it, and are you going to flag down a random passing vehicle and ask them for power? Seems do-able but not that useful. Why don't petrol cars have a tap for filling other vehicles out of fuel... They have anti siphon flaps, stopping just this action. (I accept this is an anti fuel theft addition)

Wheelbase 3000mm!

vs ID.4 2765mm vs Tesla Model Y 2891mm vs Kia eNiro 2700mm

Should give some class leading interior space. As an example, this wheel base is the same as huge cars such as Tesla Model X, Audi Q7, Volvo XC90

The door handles seem mostly a mix of Tesla Model S and Tesla Model 3 with the classic trick of manual override with the phyiscal key (just like Ioniq 28 classic)

Gear lever also now on the steering wheel column, also like the Teslas (and many other US cars going back decades)

Unknown yet I think, but I presume it no longer uses a lead acid 12V aux battery, but a lithium one now instead

Solar roof (optional extra?) might be about 200-400W or thereabouts, interesting, but would need further technical details before I could comment on its usefulness

One pedal driving, helpful. Wonder how good the level 2 autonomous driving system is compared to others. Should be standard on all cars anyway, same as it was standard on the base €25k 2016 Ioniq 28 classic

First "budget" (non premium) car with an 800V battery pack, charging at up to 350kW and then there's the bi-directional (3.6kW out) charging

Very promising specs, good looks, now we will have to wait for the (Irish) prices unfortunately. I guess you won't be able to get one here until this time next year at the earliest...

Unknown yet I think, but I presume it no longer uses a lead acid 12V aux battery, but a lithium one now instead

Solar roof (optional extra?) might be about 200-400W or thereabouts, interesting, but would need further technical details before I could comment on its usefulness

Towards the end of the video in the link I posted above, it says that the solar roof option helps prevent the 12V battery from dying as well as being able to partially charge the car.. (around 17 Mins 20 seconds into the video)

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Towards the end of the video in the link I posted above, it says that the solar roof option helps prevent the 12V battery from dying as well as being able to partially charge the car.. (around 17 Mins 20 seconds into the video)

Yeah, I noticed that too. It means the 12V is charged from the solar panel. Which will not give more range. Well not directly anyway, it just means the high voltage battery has to charge the 12V a bit less from the DC-DC inverter. So if the 12V is already fully charged (after a quick trip), this does not add to the range at all

Pending some confirmations of how the system is working, I guess it looks like the solar is most likely a gimmick, although it would help someone who spends a good bit of time camping and the like, using AC appliances via the car's inverter output AC socket, so they are drawing power through the 12V and the car is not driving for some time on end

• Advertisement

Just came across more info...re the Solar Panels...

"...If selected, the solar panels (no price has been given for this option) cover most of the top of the car and act as a complimentary charging source, which can help extend range. Hyundai said they can add up to 2,000 kilometres per year (around five to six kilometres per day) of additional range if it’s driven in sunny environments...."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Just came across more info...re the Solar Panels...

"...If selected, the solar panels (no price has been given for this option) cover most of the top of the car and act as a complimentary charging source, which can help extend range. Hyundai said they can add up to 2,000 kilometres per year (around five to six kilometres per day) of additional range if it’s driven in sunny environments...."

So about 50m in Ireland then:pac:

Car looks so nice, proper hot hatch look....but is sooo big.
    Great as a family car, not so good as 2nd car, need to talk to Mrs

A potentially more exciting version of this platform will be the Kia CV to be premiered next Month (currently still on schedule for March reveal..).

Lot of maybe's here - bear with me :-)

If you are 'into sporty / speed stats', Apparently the Kia CV (not in the initial configurations) may eventually feature (maybe not in Ireland though) a version with a 'tweaked powertrain' giving 3.5 secs 0-100km/h

Kia CV has the potential to be even better than the Ioniq 5 for Ireland (given how the e-Niro in Ireland was a better value for money buy (space/spec) Vs the Kona Electric was here initially). Disclaimer: I'm a Kona Electric Owner & love my Kona, but would like something a bit bigger :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Posted this in EV sales thread, but probably better here.

Over 230,000 enquiries in Europe alone since launch.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/236000-people-want-hyundai-ioniq-5

It's a nice car, getting the attention it deserves. I wonder how supply will cope

I would estimate by Hyundai's past that supply will remain limited.

I am definitely interested and I might even put a deposit on one depending on the price, I might put a deposit if they take them first before prices are announced provided it's refundable.

It's a crying shame Ireland's public DC charging network is such a disaster and no charger here will be cable of providing the power needed for this car. Or am I wrong ? we are years behind.........

It's a crying shame Ireland's public DC charging network is such a disaster and no charger here will be cable of providing the power needed for this car. Or am I wrong ? we are years behind.........

Ionity chargers can charge batteries up to 920V

Ionity chargers can charge batteries up to 920V

But none of them can output the 350 Kw this car can pull can they ?, at least for part of the charge.

They can. Spec of the Ionity chargers is 350kW (max 500A, max 920V), so The Ioniq 5's 800V battery can be charged at the full 350kW (438A)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The models that eCars are installing (at least the graphic) at J14 Mayfield are also capable of operating in a paired mode that allows 350kW charging.
    Whether or not eCars allow this configuration remains to be seen.

Advertisement