Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,937 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Such a cool car. So much more that could be done,
    I'd have put a 4k projector in the front grill, so that you could have a drive in movie at place any time, all you need is a wall, audio through speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ioniq 5 launch edition is called "Project 45" and the entire allocation of 3000 cars for Europe has sold out already even though they only went on pre-sale today :eek:

Not a cheap car either, this version is high spec and has the large 73kWh battery pack, just shy of 500km range, AWD, 300BHP and 0-100km/h in 5s. UK price after the £3k government grant is £45k, so probably over €50k here on the road.

Linky

Going to be another low volume production by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Surely that's still at a good profit margin though overall?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hyundai need their batteries for Recall replacements

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

First version was always going to be a limited run, and we're not the home market for Hyundai

It'll be interesting to see how 2022 pans out, whether they bring it to high volume or keep it as an expensive exclusive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

First version was always going to be a limited run, and we're not the home market for Hyundai

It'll be interesting to see how 2022 pans out, whether they bring it to high volume or keep it as an expensive exclusive

Their plan is to bring the cheaper, lower spec, RWD, smaller battery version out early next year. Probably still not cheap, but we are getting plenty of decent competition in this popular segment now. ID.4, Enyaq IV, eNiro, Model Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5

Lantus wrote: »
    Surely that's still at a good profit margin though overall?

Oh those cars are profitable, never believe any of the spam you hear about car makers losing money on EVs

Remember, the EU requires the average fleet emissions of every manufactuer to be below 95g/km. If they're over the limit, they pay a lot in fines. Currently it's €95/g over the limit per car sold in 2021

However, every EV sold counts as 1.67 vehicles in the average currently (1.33 in 2022) which makes them very valuable from an emissions standpoint

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en

So even if they sold EVs at cost (which they don't) they'll still make money by avoiding expensive fines. Those credits can also be sold to other manufacturers, Tesla has been making a fortune on doing this for years

My guess is that the 3000 vehicles combined with Hyundai's other EV sales will be enough to bring them under the emissions limit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

zg3409 wrote: »

Interesting at 02:26. Looks as though type 2 socket on both sides, CCS on right side only. Would be handy.

I'm not sure about the looks, a lot of trim bits. Hope production version is a bit cleaner looking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Nice looking car alright. When you see it beside the other cars at the charger you get a sense of it's size. It's a big car!

I don't need or want anything that big, so I'm probably scratching it off my wish list.

eagerv wrote: »
    Interesting at 02:26. Looks as though type 2 socket on both sides, CCS on right side only. Would be handy.

I'm not sure about the looks, a lot of trim bits. Hope production version is a bit cleaner looking..

I wonder is the Type 2 only plug the output plug? If so it would allow you to daisy chain 2 cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

I wonder is the Type 2 only plug the output plug? If so it would allow you to daisy chain 2 cars

Yea probably, forgot about that

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

It's a big car!

According to published figures it's actually a decent bit shorter (c.300mm) and slightly narrower than a TM3. I think it's the height and the long wheelbase that gives it visual bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Nice looking car alright. When you see it beside the other cars at the charger you get a sense of it's size. It's a big car!

I don't need or want anything that big, so I'm probably scratching it off my wish list.

I know they are just staggered, but when you see the green marking for the Charge space it's in forward than the others beside it, it looks briefly like it needs its own Xtra large space.

Agree with you on the second point too. It's a great car to have as an option, a proper Tucsan sized EV in what is Ireland's biggest selling car size. But too big for what I'd be using it for.

The Ioniq 5's brother the Kia EV6 is looking pretty good too

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/15/kia-reveals-the-first-images-of-the-ev6-design/

Interesting tidbit in the article, they mention the E-GMP platform can charge from 10% to 80% in 18 mins.
    I don't think they'd mentioed the specific starting SoC before, whether it was 0% or 10%

70% charged in 18 mins gives an average charging power of 170kW
    Peak would probably be something like 200-220kW to get that average I'm guessing

the E-GMP platform can charge from 10% to 80% in 18 mins.
    I don't think they'd mentioed the specific starting SoC before, whether it was 0% or 10%

70% charged in 18 mins gives an average charging power of 170kW
    Peak would probably be something like 200-220kW to get that average I'm guessing

Yes that's specifically mentioned in various places. Also that it doesn't even come close to the promised 350kW charging, but it does charge at over 200kW and keeps that up for a very long time with very little throttling. Which is good news for new EV owners as the throttling (like in a Tesla) looks strange / faulty when you don't know what is happening

..but with all these EV's being subject to software updates either OTA or at service the car manufacturers can do a variety of updates you have no control over e.g. limiting the amount of battery you have available (so they increase the buffer) and reduce charging speed.
    So what you get when you buy the car is not a guarantee that you will have it forever after, only the next few years will tell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It looks like a nice car but the price is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

I rang around a few dealers over the weekend looking for availability on the Ioniq 5, Seems like all dealers will be getting a showroom model in July and the 200 units for Ireland will arrive Sept/Oct.

Basically no chance of getting one until 2021, anybody else with different info?

• Advertisement

kop-end wrote: »

Basically no chance of getting one until 2021, anybody else with different info?

It is 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Redfox25 wrote: »
    It looks like a nice car but the price is a bit over the top.

The price is competitive with its newly found peers, but I guess the high-end EV has replaced the compliance car, and that is where much of the market is stabilising.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

slave1 wrote: »
    It is 2021

I am pleading COVID-brain on that mistake 😀
    No chance of an Ioniq 5 until 2022! Anybody else have differing info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The price is competitive with its newly found peers, but I guess the high-end EV has replaced the compliance car, and that is where much of the market is stabilising.

Its a good point, I was thinking of getting one to replace my 161 Tuscon but at that price point I cant stretch to it.

Then again, with wfh im not doing the milage to make it worth the investment. Thankfully the upgrade can wait as current car isnt doing much.

kop-end wrote: »
    I am pleading COVID-brain on that mistake 😀
    No chance of an Ioniq 5 until 2022! Anybody else have differing info?

You should be able to order one, once the demo models are in the country and you should be able to get a car for H2, 2021. It will be the "Project 45" cars only though, top of the range, biggest battery, AWD, fully loaded. Very expensive...

The base model won't come until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Lots of interior information below

https://insideevs.com/news/495419/hyundai-ioniq-5-interior-first-look/

It looks very nice, with lots of thought put into practicalities- look at the size of the glove box!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Patser wrote: »
    Lots of interior information below

https://insideevs.com/news/495419/hyundai-ioniq-5-interior-first-look/

It looks very nice, with lots of thought put into practicalities- look at the size of the glove box!!

Good interior. The boot is a touch small and the leg rests a gimic? But overall looks great. I'd love to see an external power socket to connect to load when camping for fridges etc.

Lantus wrote: »
    Good interior. The boot is a touch small and the leg rests a gimic? But overall looks great. I'd love to see an external power socket to connect to load when camping for fridges etc.

Hyundai released a promotional video specifically about that, so it's definitely possible. I believe one of the charge ports is an output and will likely have an adapter to convert to 3 pin

Interesting that traditionally a maker of econoboxes - Hyundai / Kia - now looks to have gone semi-premium where its biggest competitor, traditionally a maker of semi-premium cars - Volkwagen - has now downgraded to making econoboxes (ID.3 / ID.4)

Your man says he is 6'2. Now if he really was sitting "behind himself" in that rear seat (this wasn't clear to me from the video), the rear interior space and leg room is huge. As big as the biggest cars you can buy like Tesla Model X, Audi Q7, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unkel wrote: »
    Interesting that traditionally a maker of econoboxes - Hyundai / Kia - now looks to have gone semi-premium where its biggest competitor, traditionally a maker of semi-premium cars - Volkwagen - has now downgraded to making econoboxes (ID.3 / ID.4)

Your man says he is 6'2. Now if he really was sitting "behind himself" in that rear seat (this wasn't clear to me from the video), the rear interior space and leg room is huge. As big as the biggest cars you can buy like Tesla Model X, Audi Q7, etc.

Except, they're not priced like econoboxes. We've both VW and Kia. The VW will be replaced by another Kia soon. I really think diesel gate absolutely hammered the budgets for their cars, the cost cutting between generations is obvious and insulting when you see the price asked.

Advertisement