Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

I've somehow turned regen to auto and it's frustrating.

I want to get back to having the levels I can change with the pads, anyone know how?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

This is it, these threads aren't here to convince everyone to go Electric. You have to obv have certain needs for it to make sense.

My Case:

We had 2 cars over 10 years old, 1 of which (my Diesel Laguna) having severe reliability issues. On top of that we just had a baby and with that we wanted a car that would adhere to certain criteria:

• had to be reliable
    • Had to be under warranty for a few years, as we didn't want unexpected maintenance costs, (i.e minimum 2018 reg)
    • had to be spacious and easy to take big loads (like when packing for a weekend with all the baby stuff)
    • Ideally had to be at least hybrid for Fuel efficiency

taking all the above in mind, you very quickly find yourself in the price bracket of 30-35k anyway.

at the same time, Petrol and Diesel costs were sky rocketing and the price of used Cars was really high.

So then Electric started to enter the fray, then you see the Ioniq 5, and drive it, and realize you'd rather spend 40k on that rather than €36k on a Niro, or mG zs(which is smaller).

Granted i know not everyone has access to 40k or can afford 600 a month + in repayments. That is what it is. I ideally didnt want to spend more than 33k but then the savings and appeal justified it. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Long pull (Hold ) regen paddle (Right one IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

So about to clock up my first month with my 58kw Exec plus and it's an amazing machine, I do have one annoyance I thought I'd be over by now - lack of front parking sensors.

Does anyone know how possible it is to get front sensors installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Almost two weeks in with my Ioniq 5 and I am really happy with it. I think the tech was a little daunting and overwhelming at first but once you get used to it, it's grand. I've a couple of notes/gripes so far:

• Initial startup -- sometimes it's slow to come on (the confirm button stays grey so you can't confirm your profile until it boots up). Not every time, just sometimes. You know when you're really late dropping the kids to the school bus and you've to wait for the OS to boot up so you can go! That! I know I can go straight into Drive and go but my OH and I have very different seating positions and you can't get it to adjust to your settings until the OS comes on. Minor gripe.
    • Really missing a back windscreen wiper/washer - with the muddy roads of late, it's a pain not being able to clean it en route. Can't understand why it's not got one -- it's effectively a hatchback. I know you have the rear view camera, but it's not the same as having a quick glance in the RV mirror.
    • There seems to be a gap in the boot just behind the rear seats. I'm sure this is because it can't be solid with the rear seats being reclinable, but I lost a brolly down into the gap and had to do a bit of fishing behind the seats to retrieve it.
    • The range really does take a considerable hit with the climate controls on. It definitely wasn't as pronounced in my Ioniq 28. I only lost about 20 kms on the range. Now it's more like 40-50 with this car. It seems if you set in on the lowest auto setting at a reasonable temp, like 20, then it's not too bad but I sort of thought the climate wouldn't dent the range as much as it does, plus it has a heat pump. *shrug*
    • Drove behind a van on the N4 on Friday and it kicked up a massive pebble which took a lump out of my windscreen. Thankfully not in my view - but just below the front facing camera which could have been a disaster. Obviously not a gripe about the car, but I had to get it off my chest. Annoying.

Ultimately, very happy with it and would advise that if you can afford to go up a spec, do, because the extra tech is very impressive. I was sceptical about paying more for things I wasn't sure I'd use but I was wrong. The extra bells and whistles really make it.

• Advertisement

Perfect thanks.

I thought I tried that but clearly not

I think we may have underestimated our mileage for PCP - we're down for 15,000 km which is around 288 a week, or 1250 a month.

We've had it 3 weeks and are on 1700km 😂

We are probably driving a little more than normal because we finally have a new car but still, probably breaking that 15,000 by a good bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Was considering a Golf petrol for the wife however the cheapest one is 31k. That's mental.

Last year you could get a new one for 26k, it was more basic but still grand.

Now there's no basic they are called Life and the price has been pushed up. Same for Polo, T-roc etc. I think VW are pushing people into the electric as ID3 not much more than that Golf.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

Picked up my Premium with 72Kw battery two weeks ago and just did a 2000km trip across the UK and back. Apart from an unnerving first attempt at using a high-power charger at Cardiff west Services, where the EcoTricity charger refused to recognise the car, everything went well. I used 350Kw Ionity chargers a couple of times, but was disappointed to find that the charge rate never got higher than 90Kw. I guess the cold weather may have played some part in this.

The good news is that Energia turned up today and installed a 7.2Kw Smart charger in my garage, which should prove a bit faster than the Granny cable I've been using up until now.

Apart from that and the much-criticised lack of a rear screen wiper, I have no complaints. Motorway driving was great with smart cruise control and driver assist. The thing just read the speed limit signs and adjusted the speed accordingly, kept a safe distance from the car ahead and stuck reliably in lane. Almost no input from me at all for miles and miles.

One small niggle was the navigation. When I got down to Kent, it insisted on plotting routes along back roads that were sometimes single track and barely surfaced. Despite poking around in the settings, I couldn't find any way to force it to keep to decent roads with a bit of Tarmac on them. If anyone has ideas about how this can be done, let me know. Otherwise I'm going back to Waze via Android Auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yeah I did that with my first PCP that's why I'd never do PCP again. You get pushed into hanging on to it then with the balloon payment (which I was going to do anyways) or pay threw the nose when trading up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Yeah it's all good, I already have the balloon payment so will just hold onto it.

Chance we curb the mileage a bit but we will seen in nearly 3 years 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just chatting to dealer, car ready to collect on weds and have reg and all. Wahay!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Yup apparently the dealer can. I called it out on my Premium that a car at that price should have them included and was told they'd fit them for 300€. Going to see how I manage without them but its been 2014 since I've had a car without front parking sensors

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Surprised about your navigation problem. I've tried the system twice to see how it works. In Kerry it has given me three options for a trip between two North Kerry villages and two options for Listowel to Limerick, all of which were legitimate.

I know Kent well having had an interest in a courier service there before moving to Ireland. I'll ask my navigation to offer some routes and see what it comes up with.

There is certainly something quirky about the nav system. I’ve put in a few UK destinations in the Midlands and South East. From here in Kerry, the most logical rotes would be either by Dublin Port or Rosslare. The system defaults to going via Larne and down either the M6 or A666 then A1/M1 which is crazy.

Looking at destinations in Kent, some of the routings are really odd when the map gets into the county.

Really odd as the routings in Kerry are sensible

If anyone is looking for a bootliner, I just got one from Hatchbag.co.uk which is pretty good. I've had liners from other companies over the years, but this one is very well designed and fits perfectly. The material is also easy to clean. There are add-on options for a bumper cover (good idea) and also for the top of the rear seats. Total cost for the liner + bumper flap was £185.57.

Anyone found a way to fit a dashcam? The nearest USB port is down at floor level, so positioning a camera and running the cable tidily looks a bit tricky.

Thanks for confirming that Phil. At least I know it's not just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

So Im pretty much set on picking up our premium plus tomorrow. Got insurance and bank draft is ready.

Anything to look out for when picking up the car?

• Advertisement

If they get you to drive it out of the showroom (after a bit of a ta-da pantomime with covers being whipped off), don't do what I did. The showroom floor was VERY shiny, and not being used to the car I was being ultra-careful. It took off a little faster than I expected so I braked, which caused an almighty tyre squeal that frightened the life out of everyone in the place. In hindsight it was quite funny, but I wish the sales guy hadn't filmed the whole thing on his phone.

I told the sales person there was no chance I was driving it out the show room. They did it for me 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Could be worse, I once had a car significantly damaged upon collection while being moved from the yard out back of a dealership to the front by an employee.

Poor lad was a bit heavy of foot and wrapped the front corner off a gate post while reversing through the gate. Wrecked the front bumper, wing, headlight, cracked an alloy and damaged the suspension.

Had to refuse delivery, wife almost cried. Ended up with a fresh one a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

I having Notting but trouble trying to get a EV home charger install.There was supposed to be a engineer to call out to my home this afternoon to review my electrical he was a no show.

I rang the guy who I contacted before can't even ring him left a message and try ring him again low behold his phone turn off.

Does anybody know a good EV installer.I might be canceling my ioniq 5 because this madness trying to get someone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

We never bought a brand new car before. Is it common that they ask you to to drive it out of the show room?

It sounds like when a staff bring out a birthday cake for you and everyone in restruant stares at you.

Totally unimpressed by the Energia side of the Hyundai/Energia offer, I bit the bullet and paid ESB to fit the charger and have now sent the claim for €600 to SEAI.

ESB used KN to do the installation. Once I paid by credit card I was given an appointment less than a week ahead. When I had confirmed the date was acceptable I was given a time frame of between 08.00 and 13.00. This was reconfirmed the day before in the morning and, in the afternoon, the fitter phoned stating he would arrive at 09.00.

Next day two fitters arrived precisely at 09.00. Fitting needed conduit around the house from the fuse box above the kitchen door to the front of the house, slightly longer than the standard fit. Also the two right angled corner pieces for the conduit were too great a radius to give a neat job.

One of the fitters returned to his depot to get smaller radius pieces leaving the other to make the fuse box connections and put the charger on the wall.

Once the smaller corner pieces were brought a very neat job was completed quickly with no extra charge for the 1.5 meters over the standard fitting length.

An excellent job by a very efficient team. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm an Energia customer, so took up their offer of a free charger and 20% discount on bills for twelve months. Their electricians arrived on time on Monday morning and had the charger fitted within two and a half hours. It is the new Smart Charger which adjusts the charge rate to suit the car and depending upon other demands within the house. On my car it runs at the maximum 7.2Kw. Very pleased with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

How do you qualify for that offer? Have you a link to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 adoyle07

Picked up the new baby today, happy as Larry. Lovely to drive, shame about the weather.

Advertisement