Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ptltd

Thanks that's some peace of mind now.

FWIW apparently it's just the 1st fix loom that's missing - still takes a tow bar although now has to be aftermarket, dealer has assured aftermarket has been fitted fine on various trim levels already. Slightly disappointed it won't be original equipment after I made the point at sale it was a deal breaker if no tow bar so fingers crossed... 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Speaking as someone who owns an auto bodyshop i can tell you that the white solid paint has the same protection level-is applied the same way(a basecoat-ie the car colour with a clearcoat lacquer on top of that ),with the same amount of paint and clearcoat as metallics/pearls.some special effect colours would have a groundcoat applied also.the matte is the same process with a matte clearcoat applied.as per the extra €1000ish charge for metallic/pearl paint well it's one of motor trades big money spinner upselling gimmicks ala Service/tyre plans-paint protection-extended warranty etc.metallic paint is more expensive at Source but not by that much.the matte clearcoat is quite high maintenance too.so no difference and the white does seem very nice too.good luck👍

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

I mentioned a while ago that I noticed that high-power chargers, such as Ionity 350Kw, don't get anywhere near that rating in the cold weather. I spotted this post on an American review site, which seems to confirm what I thought: https://insideevs.com/news/565913/hyundai-ioniq5-limited-charging-cold/. It will be interesting to see what difference there is in charge times when 'summer' comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Mine is defintely taking some time. All I did was use the reg and chassis number and logon online and did it there.

Don't think it needed anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I mentioned a while ago that I noticed that high-power chargers, such as Ionity 350Kw, don't get anywhere near that rating in the cold weather.

Its a well known longstanding issue for all EV's (except Tesla's), so not specific to the Ioniq 5 or to Ionity chargers... if the battery is cold you will get a much lower rate of charge and thats the cars fault, not the charger.

The Tesla's get around this by using energy from the batteries to heat the battery. It increases your consumption, of course, but thats countered by faster charge times when you get to the charger. If you navigate to a charger in the navigation system, it knows you need to charge quickly so it times it so that you arrive with a battery at the appropriate temp to get full speed.

Simple, effective idea which the other OEM's are supposed to implement.... still waiting for VW to do it after 2yrs on the ID cars. Hopefully Hyundai are quicker!

• Advertisement

It took over a week for mine to arrive. I just carried the email confirmation with me, but was never checked, even when we came back through Rosslare and were stopped by a Gard for the usual Covid questions.

Has anyone else discovered that the BlueLink map feature for finding where you left your car parked is actually a full-blown tracker. I only noticed this today when my wife took off on a shopping trip. I was looking at the BlueLink app to see if it still connected to the car when she was about 30km away and tried the Map option which showed me exactly where the car was (if you're wondering if I got a nasty surprise, it was in Dunnes 😛).

I'm wondering now if this feature qualifies for extra discount on the insurance, since it would make recovery of the car much easier if it got stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, noticed that recently when the missus (Her car) told me she could see where I had parked.

Lucky I didn't drop in to see the Mistress...😁

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Only the Premium Plus model allows a Tow Bar. But 1100 EUR is a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 adoyle07

Another poster had recommended MX Tint in Belgard, I got the two front windows done in 50% tint for €50, brilliant service from them and only took 30 minutes to do, at least I don't feel like being in a fish bowl anymore.....onlookers staring in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭w124man

Hi

Im about to take the plunge into the world of EV and the Ionic 5 is one car on the list. I will be looking at the smaller battery mid spec version as it seems to tick all the boxes for me except it may be too big. Is the car as good as it looks?

I am used to buying a car and keeping it for 200,000 kms or 4 years and I'm also used to having no issues with the cars over that time. With the EV that I buy I wont be doing that mileage but would expect to keep the car for at least 10 years.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

That was myself. Looks great. Be careful with the NCT if you still have the car in 4 years. AFAIK front windows legally have to allow 65% light in. Sure you can always remove it then if required I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Be aware that Gardai Road Patrols have devices to check the level of tint and if stopped you will be given the option of removing the tint there and then or going to Court. 50% tint on front side windows and windscreens is illegal.

Yeah, MX Tint did tell me that, when I was driving home I did notice that lots of other cars had darker front windows, mine are not too bad though IMO, sure if I was stopped I could remove the tint or try to, then get them done again!

With the Ioniq 5 only just appearing on the road here, there are no long-term owners to give a review of how the car performs after a lot of use. I've now done 2,500km in mine and am absolutely delighted with it. It's a real pleasure to drive; far more so than my previous Mazda diesel, which I was also very pleased with. My wife also loves it, even though she's an out and out technophobe when it comes to cars.

Ten years will certainly see the battery life start to decline I'd say. Hyundai guarantee them to not drop below 80% capacity for eight years, but by then I suspect that battery technology will have advanced enormously, so an aftermarket replacement may not be the daunting price that it would be today and the potential range would have been increased significantly also.

So to answer your question: Yes, the Ioniq 5 is every bit as good as it looks.

The Gardai have ANPR and part of the system is a marker system for vehicles which have been stopped for offences or are suspected of offences. It automatically notifies an ANPR equipped car if such a vehicle comes within the range of the ANPR camera - so be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

The missus is thrilled with her one, I am surprised how quickly she has got used to it. Not quite your mileage, but not far behind. She is working on about 3 km per % (58kWh battery) so she says gets about the same range as her old Ioniq 28, but only charging to about 70% versus 100% on the classic. She only charges more if she needs it. Has been a very mild winter so far down here in the south east, so efficiency has been ok.

We loaded up the sons large mountain bike the other day and the car took it easily with the seats down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Firblog

They had a 5 on display inside our local shopping centre, it is the only car that has ever been on display there that I've seen people gather round to have a look at and strangers talk to each other about, it was in black and grey and look absolute class.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Cheers but the issue with mine is that pressing the "close" button once the door is open doesn't do anything. I dropped it into the dealer today who mentioned they haven't seen anything like it and very few I5s have come back since launch.

I got a Tuscon Automatic as a loaner and my god it was like stepping back into the stone age 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

77kwh battery, same as EV6 and US/Canada Ioniq5 cars becoming available from late spring.

Some new tech updates including digital wing mirrors like Honda e, digital rear view mirror & adaptive dampers.

• Advertisement

That’s for the UK market. Current UK specs are different to Ireland and timing of changes and details also likely to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Yeah it's a new model basically. Prices are likely to rise a fair bit also when they're announced. Rear view camera higher up under the spoiler is a nice addition, as are digital side mirrors but I'm not sure I'd pay a premium for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

First press release in Europe but if you browse Ioniq5 forums online, dealers in Denmark and Germany have the details on 77kwh version too.

It's been rumoured that 73kwh battery production is ending this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ptltd

Will be interesting to see if battery preheating to DC charger destination will be available as an update on already delivered cars, we all have the the battery heater. Winter mode tick box is mysterious too.

Has anybody figured out what the keyfob button showing the tailgate opening does on the Premium? As far as I can tell, all that happens when you press and hold it is that all the lights flash 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The EV chargers are gone off the ESB shop page. Have they stopped selling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Count yourself lucky on the Tucson... I got an i20 manual when the I5 went in to get the software updates done. Nearly asked for my old Tucson back!

• Advertisement

In Scandinavia it is mooted that the price increase for the 2023 model will be in the area of €2000 for the Premium Plus equivalent which may, or may not, include the digital rear view mirror and digital wing mirrors. Those items will only be extra cost options on the UK models, no vision roof still for the UK and if you want a 2023 model it can be ordered from April, production starts in July, deliveries expected end of 2022. The 72.6 kWh models will see the 77 kWh battery but €2000 for a real life range extension of around 48 kms seems a lot.

It is also rumoured that there is a 2022.5 model for Europe including the U.K. and presumably Ireland. Due to chip shortages, models that had front side sensors will be delivered from April without and there will be software changes which should be available to earlier models.

Advertisement