Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't know why but I rather like the 5, am I mad ?

It's in the name ;)
    Not sure whether I'd take the plunge, my mileage now means depreciation is high but I think this is one car I could actually keep, but sadly our DC Network is a joke, I think that along with my high mileage is making me think twice. It's a tough one.

Anyone guess what the 4wd version will cost in Ireland after Grant and VRT relief ?

For the 4wd version I reckon it'll be in the top spec so probably around 55-60k after grants

One thing to bear in mind is that the UK government recently dropped the upper limit for their EV grant and I've no doubt the Irish government is itching to do the same before the year ends

So, there could be a sudden price jump for the high spec version within the next 12 months

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Kramer wrote: »
    7.4 seconds apparently. I think unkel's old Ioniq was 8 seconds, so not great TBH :pac:
    Pretty much identical to the ID.4.

Plenty fast enough for most.

Considering the thing is SUV sized and doesn't look like the most aerodynamic shape, I'd say that's not bad

It's no performance car, but off the line it'll beat the crap out of any Audi banger with a custom exhaust kit and spoiler :D

It's in the name ;)

:D
    For the 4wd version I reckon it'll be in the top spec so probably around 55-60k after grants

One thing to bear in mind is that the UK government recently dropped the upper limit for their EV grant and I've no doubt the Irish government is itching to do the same before the year ends

So, there could be a sudden price jump for the high spec version within the next 12 months

55-60 K would be beyond my budget for my mileage. Pity.

Considering the thing is SUV sized and doesn't look like the most aerodynamic shape, I'd say that's not bad

It's no performance car, but off the line it'll beat the crap out of any Audi banger with a custom exhaust kit and spoiler :D

The AWD version isn''t bad now in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The AWD version isn''t bad now in fairness.

1.9 seconds to 60 is where it's at these days - Tesla's new Model S Raven Cheetah Plaid+++<> AWD comes with a HANS device.

sch422e_2020_1_1_1.jpg

Or whiplash :P.

• Advertisement

I'm slightly less impressed with the interior, after seeing this video. Nothing major wrong - it just reminds me of my time in an earlier Kona electric.

Maybe it was because it was too white/bright, appeared a little plasicky.
    Pre production admittedly.............still very interested in the Ioniq 5 though, but the ID.4 is a compelling proposition too.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'm slightly less impressed with the interior, after seeing this video. Nothing major wrong - it just reminds me of my time in an earlier Kona electric.

Maybe it was because it was too white/bright, appeared a little plasicky.
    Pre production admittedly.............still very interested in the Ioniq 5 though, but the ID.4 is a compelling proposition too.

Yeah, the interior hasn't blown me away any time I've seen it, far from it. The screen demo looks nice, but the buttons, materials, steering wheel, cubbys all look a bit plastic and far from premium.
    Lots of storage up front, which the id4 is slightly lacking.
    Centre console seems like a gimmick to me.
    Boot looks decent, though no under floor storage (I know it's kinda a terrible place for cables but it's handy for them day to day)
    Charging speeds are massive! Bravo.
    Exterior design to me just seems like a whole lot of effort keeping it clean, and reminds me of a Delorean.

I'm bias, but it'd take a lot to convince me of it over the id4.

I really think it's pretty bad that on the ID.4 you have to pay 58K to get Travel Assist, a feature I could not live without going forward, for me, my next car has to have some level of auto steer to ease the eternal motorway commutes.

But I do agree, the id.4 looks like a nicer car except of course for all the black plastic, I don't know what VW were thinking.

The charging times on the 5 are a real forward leap but that really depends on how they manage cold batter charging, they didn't manage too well in the Kona but since charging power greatly depends on current the change to 800 volts might hopefully reduce the effects of cold battery charging as the dependency on current will basically be cut in half.

The only real issue now is Ireland's absolutely appalling DC network which seems to have hit a dead end, in my opinion, one should get the car with the most range as possible to be less dependent on the Public charging network.

The charging times on the 5 are a real forward leap but that really depends on how they manage cold batter charging

I just watched Bjorn's video of the ID.4 charging on his 2,000km arctic trip.
    125kW peak & holds 100kW for quite a while. I think it was pulling over 60kWs at 80% SoC & 34kWs at 95%.

That's plenty IMO & there's no need for, nor much benefit from, 800v architecture, from a charging perspective anyway.

Agreed - the single point of failure, 50kW DCs dotted around here are ridiculous now. NO progress in the decade since they were installed, save for 6 new 150kW (2x 75kW) units.

• Advertisement

125kW peak & holds 100kW for quite a while. I think it was pulling over 60kWs at 80% SoC & 34kWs at 95%.

That's plenty IMO & there's no need for, nor much benefit from, 800v architecture, from a charging perspective anyway.

Agreed - the single point of failure, 50kW DCs dotted around here are ridiculous now. NO progress in the decade since they were installed, save for 6 new 150kW (2x 75kW) units.

Indeed the id.4 is looking very attractive for me but I'm not going to pay 58K to get travel assist, I'd rather pick and choose the options I want.

Most likely now I will probably end up with the 5 seater version of the 77 Kwh ID.3 with Travel assist but loose out on ACC which I think the 77 Kwh could have benefited more from.

I bet the ESB were hoping private companies would take over and they wouldn't have to bother with a roll out of DC chargers or probably offer to buy out the network. One thing for sure is that it was a huge mistake to give them control of the network, they have proved that they are incapable of the responsibility and it's one of my greatest issues with changing to BEV again.

Main issue is the availability (or lack thereof) of 800V chargers. Pretty sure the Ionity ones can do 800V, ESB HPCs are a solid maybe. It's generally an upgrade option so I'm willing to bet ESB cheaped out on it

Not much point in having a fancy 800V car which can't be used to it's full potential.

Also worth watching out to see how fast the car charges when connected to a 400V charger. The Taycan by default is limited to 50kW on a 400V charger, faster charging is an option. Ioniq 5 might go the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 65,375 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I really think it's pretty bad that on the ID.4 you have to pay 58K to get Travel Assist

€58k after subsidies? Are you sure about that? That's insane money for a medium size budget crossover

Level 2 autonomous driving (ACC + LKAS + AEB) is mandatory on all cars in the EU from next January, it's insane it's still a very expensive option on some cars now

unkel wrote: »
    €58k after subsidies? Are you sure about that? That's insane money for a medium size budget crossover

Level 2 autonomous driving (ACC + LKAS + AEB) is mandatory on all cars in the EU from next January, it's insane it's still a very expensive option on some cars now

Sorry, no I was wrong, travel assist can be got at the lower 56K trim, 58 K is the highest spec but yeah it's a large sum of money. But they're going to get People with low mileage on PCP so they will pay much less PM than I would for instance.

I would say the basic models will sell a lot better for those who want to pay cash or HP and the higher trims will go on PCP mostly I'd say. I can imaging the basic spec with 50 Kw and much slower acceleration to be pretty boring and basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Was watching “Into the Wild” lately and in one scene the parents wanted to buy the son a new car for graduation. The son looked confused and pointed to his beaten up Datsun, ‘But I have a car!’.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

He was a lunatic though :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    He was a lunatic though :pac:

I just read about him, definitely a bit of an overly optimistic chap thinking he could survive in the Alaskan wilderness with no equipment or knowledge

Sorry, no I was wrong, travel assist can be got at the lower 56K trim, 58 K is the highest spec but yeah it's a large sum of money. But they're going to get People with low mileage on PCP so they will pay much less PM than I would for instance.

I would say the basic models will sell a lot better for those who want to pay cash or HP and the higher trims will go on PCP mostly I'd say. I can imaging the basic spec with 50 Kw and much slower acceleration to be pretty boring and basic.

VW haven't implemented it yet but it's definitely on the cards that you'll be able to unlock the higher motor power after purchasing

Charging speed might be upgradable as well, which would be nice as you can dodge the VRT you'd pay on a higher spec

Travel assist (autopilot) is unfortunately not an upgradable feature as the car needs more hardware, but possibly in future if they can get the costs down

VW haven't implemented it yet but it's definitely on the cards that you'll be able to unlock the higher motor power after purchasing

Charging speed might be upgradable as well, which would be nice as you can dodge the VRT you'd pay on a higher spec

Travel assist (autopilot) is unfortunately not an upgradable feature as the car needs more hardware, but possibly in future if they can get the costs down

I haven't heard of this being possible but cool if it can.

I really can't imagine why Travel assist if only available at 56K and not even an option on lower trims.

I haven't heard of this being possible but cool if it can.

I really can't imagine why Travel assist if only available at 56K and not even an option on lower trims.

It's a bit of a jump alright but I'd say the hardware cost is quite high

I used to work for a fairly large semiconductor manufacturer who was hoping to get into autonomous cars. The raw computing power required is pretty horrendous, we're talking several micro server chips which cost over a grand each

AFAIK VW is buying in the computing modules from continental, add on some profit margin for the various vendors along the way and it's easy to see where the extra thousands go. VW want to keep that for a higher trim where their profit margin is better to begin with

On top of that there's a major chip shortage worldwide which is affecting car manufacturers and driving up prices

Tesla design their own silicon for their autopilot and contract out the manufacturing, so they've a lot more control over costs which allows them to include autopilot with every car

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a jump alright but I'd say the hardware cost is quite high

I used to work for a fairly large semiconductor manufacturer who was hoping to get into autonomous cars. The raw computing power required is pretty horrendous, we're talking several micro server chips which cost over a grand each

AFAIK VW is buying in the computing modules from continental, add on some profit margin for the various vendors along the way and it's easy to see where the extra thousands go. VW want to keep that for a higher trim where their profit margin is better to begin with

On top of that there's a major chip shortage worldwide which is affecting car manufacturers and driving up prices

Tesla design their own silicon for their autopilot and contract out the manufacturing, so they've a lot more control over costs which allows them to include autopilot with every car

I've said it before, I believe that Automated Driving is going to end up in the cloud, Microsoft are already working on this as is I'm sure AWS. I can't see proper Fully automated cars without the power of the cloud or unless there's a gigantic leap in computer power.

Sorry but that is nonsense or that was several years ago. Nvidia AI chips like the Jetson TX2 are a couple hundred dollars cost to OEMs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've said it before, I believe that Automated Driving is going to end up in the cloud, Microsoft are already working on this as is I'm sure AWS. I can't see proper Fully automated cars without the power of the cloud or unless there's a gigantic leap in computer power.

Large networks already looking at this with the creation of 5G.

But Tesla id imagine are heavily focused on starlink for their edge computing use case. It's not a broadband service it's a global network for their cars. Subscriptions, lock outs and updates galore in the future.

I actually have the opposite view, I think fully autonomous driving will be done mostly with on board computers, can't see regulators being happy with the idea of a cars depending on a tenuous internet link

I imagine there'll be a hybrid solution where data gathered from cars is fed into the cloud which formulate standard behaviour along given routes. This will then be distributed to other cars so they have a fairly standard set of instructions for a given route. For example if a motorway junction has a shorter on ramp then the cars will learn to accelerate faster to merge

But when the car detects something outside of the normal model (e.g. roadworks) it'll fall back on it's onboard hardware to figure out what to do, which will probably involve very consevative driving

I think Tesla are doing something similar since all their cars feed autopilot data back to Tesla which they use to improve their models

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Not all rosey with the Ioniq 5.

Production hit by chip shortage, only able to produce 2,500 per month at the moment. Considering there's over 250,000 requests in in Europe alone, I'd say supply could be very, very tight.

Also their range figures being questioned.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/04/08/business/industry/hyundai-motor-ioniq5-egmp/20210408175700482.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

anyone know anything about ev6 or ionic 5 base pricing,they should be making an appearance shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Ionic 5 , launch version circa 65k according to one article I read. Expect it to be fully loaded with every gadget and the biggest battery and to be as scarce as recent GPU's.
    :)

Cheaper versions to follow late this year , early next year

€65k is insane though. Makes the overpriced 2019 long range Kona for €39k almost look like a bargain :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€65k LOL, Model Y all day long

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

65k is nonsense

Advertisement