Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topeak Bikepacking Bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I have a similar saddle bag to the third one there, in 10L size. It's actually too big for credit card touring (IE staying in hotels or bnbs) in that it can comfortably fit a light change of clothes for the evening, a spare jersey for day 2, some light toiletries, normal saddle bag with tools, charger etc.

So if you're just credit card touring a saddle bag is, imo, enough and arguably less than the ten litre. No experience camping, that will be a totally different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks a148pro. Is it a a topeak bag you have? I'm wondering about the quality of these items as much as anything else.

I'd plan on buying one at a time, see what I need re packing space etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I still have the midloader bag here hanging in my spare room unused marginally too big for my frames annoyingly. Tis the 6l one I think

Weepsie wrote: »
    I still have the midloader bag here hanging in my spare room unused marginally too big for my frames annoyingly. Tis the 6l one I think

I measured up, and think the 6l would fit my frame. Are you interested in off loading it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cletus wrote: »
    I measured up, and think the 6l would fit my frame. Are you interested in off loading it?

I had it up for sale so I did, just need restrictions and such to ease off

• Advertisement

PM sent

Mine is roswheel or something. Find it grand. I think a chap here had a thread where he went off with his missus for a weekend with toppeak stuff. I think they're well regarded? Youtube is full of bike packers reviewing stuff if you can separate the crap from the genuine people you'll be well guided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101947

Thread here on my first touring experience with those 3 exact bags.

Thanks fat bloke. I recall your thread all right, even posted in it. It might even be the reason I started looking at these bags.

Given your experience, I might start with the frame and saddle bag, and see how I get on (not that I'll need them for cycling around the 5km limit).

One last question, how did you find them waterproof wise

cletus wrote: »
    Thanks fat bloke. I recall your thread all right, even posted in it. It might even be the reason I started looking at these bags.

Given your experience, I might start with the frame and saddle bag, and see how I get on (not that I'll need them for cycling around the 5km limit).

One last question, how did you find them waterproof wise

Haven't used them since but looking forward to doing so. They were well tested for rain anyway. It rained on us the whole way home, getting increasingly heavy until it was absolutely spilling on top of us around Laragh. No problem at all with leaks or water ingress. - That was just the tailpack and handlebar roll mind. I haven't used the framebag yet but iirc that did not come with an internal dry bag, its just a single layer cordura pouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm going to try the 6L saddle bag and 4.5L frame bag from some credit card touring over the summer. Anyone tried similar? Will have a small top tube bag for phone / battery pack and some food too I think

I'd say that would be enough and to be honest you mightn't need the frame bag. Although I have normal pedals on the bike so don't need to carry bike shoes which makes my load and size lighter.

Shoes were be the far the bulkiest thing I had to carry alright, even though they were only lightweight pool shoe things. Can't conceal a pair of size 12's no matter how you try. :)

Advertisement