Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dog food

Options
  • 03-01-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

What brands of dog food does everyone use? Has anyone any experience with Red Mills Go Native i was looking at the ingredients and they look amazing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I always recommend lily's kitchen.
    Our dog loves it, coat is great, our vet looked at it and was very impressed with ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Grainnef93 wrote: »
    What brands of dog food does everyone use? Has anyone any experience with Red Mills Go Native i was looking at the ingredients and they look amazing.

I feed the Herring and Kale variety to my 2 dogs. They love it and are thriving on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I feed barking heads lamb flavour. I had been feeding grain free Acana but after reading about the possibility of legumes causing heart problems I switched back to barking heads. Never had any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Grainnef93 wrote: »

Look up Nutritional Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs - some ingredients in grain free diets have been implicated in reduced taurine absorption. This leads to serious heart disease and even death in some cases. If feeding grain free (and I do in my rotation of foods!) looking for very low (less than 5%) levels of peas, legumes, beans, chick peas and sweet potatoes ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

Springwell wrote: »
    Look up Nutritional Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs - some ingredients in grain free diets have been implicated in reduced taurine absorption. This leads to serious heart disease and even death in some cases. If feeding grain free (and I do in my rotation of foods!) looking for very low (less than 5%) levels of peas, legumes, beans, chick peas and sweet potatoes ideally

Crikey! I hadn’t heard of this. I’ve been feeding our Daxie Go Native and he loves it. What grain-free food has low levels of those ingredients, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

I have 3 year Old Cavalier King Charles and I feed him Markus Mühle Natural Dog Food. https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0341/markus-muehle-natural-dog-food
    Tried many different types including raw as a Pup but he never liked the raw. was recommended to try the Markus and he eats every bit and currently no health issues.

itsmine wrote: »
    Crikey! I hadn’t heard of this. I’ve been feeding our Daxie Go Native and he loves it. What grain-free food has low levels of those ingredients, please?

There's lots of options but the one I'm using currently is VetSpec (only "questionable" ingredient is peas and they're only 4.7% or 5% in the two normal adult formulas)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grainnef93

Springwell wrote: »

I have read the study and I honesty wasn't hugely convinced. Correlation doesn't equal causation. There are so many studies out there that suggest meat eaters are more likely to get cancer, but they never take into account that meat eaters are also more likely to smoke, not exercise, drink and other unhealthy things in these studies.

How many factors did they consider in this study. Like how the food was stored, what treats the dogs got, living environment, was the dog given left over and genetics, there's just so many factors not taken into consideration.

The FDA says the study was also done by just using interviews and medical history. There's an actually study that shows how interview and survey studies are not accurate as people will always try to portray themselves better or lie without even knowing they are.

So the people that mixed their quality food with cheap food because they couldn't afford it and are embarrassed to say, or the person that gave a chocolate biscuit as a treat and so on all forget to give those details get thrown in the study and boom you have an inaccurate study just like when they said egg yolks were bad years ago.

I'll stay on the fence until there's multiple peer reviewed studies, but I get where your coming from. I was just thought in college to be sceptical of studies.

tk123 wrote: »

No, it hasn't - there is one journal article attempting to debunk it. It was written and sponsored in a large part by a company whose job it is to market grain free food products. I've spoken to many cardiologists and vets about it and they're largely regarding it as not reason enough to reintroduce those ingredients to diets. We've seen far too many pets recover from DCM (a previously unheard of phenomenon) when put on to legume free diets. Why risk your pet basically? There's plenty of great grain free foods not using legumes to bump up their protein levels so there's no reason to feed them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Recently moved from Royal Canin to Select Gold in maxi zoo. Real happy. Raw dog food from carnivore kellys is amazing if u dont mind handling chubs of raw meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

We have our puppy on Patron Salmon Feast currently. Gone up in price now due to Brexit, but we stocked up as our lad is thriving on it. He loves it, looks so healthy, and is growing well. Great way to support your choice of rescue too whenever you buy a bag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »

And, as I understand it, it was an opinion article written by an author with a vested interest in the dog food industry, and not based on peer-reviewed research.
    I'm happy to keep an open mind on food debates, but I'm afraid this doubt over grain-free foods has come nowhere near convincing me it has any merit, at this stage anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gemancy

We use John Burns here, having been through most brands over the years, this is the one we’ve stuck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Anyone tried Phoenix Barks?

anewme wrote: »

I had to Google this. Their site says its home cooked. Does it come cooked or do you cook it yourself? Does it come frozen or how does it keep? I'm in a 48hr delivery area so I'd wonder what condition it would be in by the time it got to me.

I had to Google this. Their site says its home cooked. Does it come cooked or do you cook it yourself? Does it come frozen or how does it keep? I'm in a 48hr delivery area so I'd wonder what condition it would be in by the time it got to me.

lightly Cooked and frozen I believe and you thaw it in fridge as required.

Considering it for my Mum’s dogs.

I’m interested in from a quality angle and supporting small local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Our lady is nearly 14, birthday this month, and she's eating Naturo from tesco and/or canagans from equipet, we get it online.
    She likes it mixed with some if their biscuits.

Truth be told she'd eat anything and has:), but we like to give her quality.
    She's in great form don't know if it's down to the food or just good luck but we're happy with that.

Our lady is nearly 14, birthday this month, and she's eating Naturo from tesco and/or canagans from equipet, we get it online.
    She likes it mixed with some if their biscuits.

Truth be told she'd eat anything and has:), but we like to give her quality.
    She's in great form don't know if it's down to the food or just good luck but we're happy with that.

That’s what ours are currently on.(Naturo) They drink a lot of water after it.

lightly Cooked and frozen I believe and you thaw it in fridge as required.

Considering it for my Mum’s dogs.

I’m interested in from a quality angle and supporting small local business.

I can't see a comprehensive ingredient list anywhere on the site which is a bit annoying but I might try the trial pack when the current bag of food gets low. In theory it sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

I've tried it, with a foster boy i have at the moment.
    It comes frozen, packs are like a pack of sausages, if anyone wants photo let me know. heres what on pack.

60% chicken (meat 65% heart 30% liver 5%)
    25% fresh vegetables (turnip, sweet potato, carrots,caulflower,kale,peas.)
    11% organic red lentils.

4% whole foods (miled flax,pumpkin & chia seed,kelp(desiccated) organic thyme (dried) eggshell calcium.
    Nutritional additives (per kg) vitamin d3 (150iu) vitamin E 40mg

Analytical constituents crude protein 15%/ crude oil & fats 5.2%/ crude fiber 1%/ crude ash 2% ..Moisture content 69%

sdp wrote: »
    I've tried it, with a foster boy i have at the moment.
    It comes frozen, packs are like a pack of sausages, if anyone wants photo let me know. heres what on pack.

60% chicken (meat 65% heart 30% liver 5%)
    25% fresh vegetables (turnip, sweet potato, carrots,caulflower,kale,peas.)
    11% organic red lentils.

4% whole foods (miled flax,pumpkin & chia seed,kelp(desiccated) organic thyme (dried) eggshell calcium.
    Nutritional additives (per kg) vitamin d3 (150iu) vitamin E 40mg

Analytical constituents crude protein 15%/ crude oil & fats 5.2%/ crude fiber 1%/ crude ash 2% ..Moisture content 69%

Does he like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

hi Anewme,

Sorry to say he don't, As I already home cook for him, due to him starting immunotherapy 12 weeks ago, I think its because of the texture of the mix, almost like a puree,
    Also he had TPLO surgary 4 week ago, so his eating habits are not normal, I have kept the rest of the food and will try him again once he is back to normal exercise. ( he's a bit of a problem child :) )

But I must say, in the 2 week trial food, they start with 25% to mix into own food and built it up to full portions.
    Lovely people to deal with,Kathy was more the willing to work as closely as possable to what I was doing for him.

It's definitly worth a try :)

Barking Heads kibble and James Beloved wet food-1/4 pack of wet food mixed with the kibble. Thinking of moving to James Beloved kibble once Barking Heads supply runs down.
    Anyone else using James Beloved kibble and how do you find it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When I was feeding dry food, James Wellbeloved always went down a storm, even with fusspots :)

DBB wrote: »
    When I was feeding dry food, James Wellbeloved always went down a storm, even with fusspots :)

Apparently its one of the best selling brands in the UK - I'll give it a try. I've been ordering direct from barking heads in the UK but since Brexit has now happened, it won't be possible as the website demands a UK address. Barking Heads in Ireland is very expensive compared to UK prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I've been feeding my guys (greyhound, staffie x and mastiff x) red mills engage either the duck or salmon for last few years as it fits my budget and the dogs were all doing well. Before Christmas I saw james beloved reduced to €15 for big bag so grabbed two. My guys are never fussy so can't go on taste but haven't notice any change in poops or coats. Will wait till they have both bags finished to decide if I'll stick to it or not as i think its normally 70 a bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to feed the grain free JWB before switching to raw (which is actually cheaper!). I still get the crackerjack treats sometimes for Bailey because he loved them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Has anyone tried Nadur? My dog is on GoNative but is very fussy and mainly eats the wet food that's mixed into it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

Acana or Nomade

Advertisement