Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder/Plasterer/spark/plumber/tiler cost/approach

Options
  • 03-01-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m at a bit of a loss as to how to approach making some improvements. Does anybody have an idea whether it’s better to engage individual trades or possibly look for a builder to “combine” the little jobs into a big job?

Basically looking to make additions to a new build, but the developer won’t make changes. As a result I’m resigned to having it done afterwards. Would I be better getting a builder who would probably subcontract but would know who needed to do what?

1. A few internal extra sockets and outside socket, install recessed lights
    2. Car charger cabling
    3. Velux install
    4. Plumbing in a fridge
    5. Swapping a bath for another and tiling after
    6. Outside tap
    7. Network/tv cabling to kitchen, living and bedrooms
    Maybe some additional bits and pieces?

based on the above, would a plasterer look to replaster an entire wall or roof after chasing for cables? Or would they be able to effectively patch them back to seamless?

Would a builder laugh at me for asking them to collectively do the job(s)? Should I just look to get all the trades individually?

My question is how to organise the jobs in such a way without having the plasterer standing around for example.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tried the foreman ? Might be able to engage the trades directly at your cost

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

listermint wrote: »
    Tried the foreman ? Might be able to engage the trades directly at your cost

I have and I was told that they *might* be able to get one or two things done at snagging so I’m thinking to get the “most important” things done such as power to the island

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I have and I was told that they *might* be able to get one or two things done at snagging so I’m thinking to get the “most important” things done such as power to the island

Keep on at them, as they will have many others doing the same as you.

Advertisement