Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales from the Glue Factory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'd argue with the core work reasoning to be honest. I'd noticed you mention somewhere during the week about reminding yourself to stay tall running and pulling yourself back up on form etc.. Something I realised last year I no longer have to do (or as much anyway)at the end of long runs. I used to slump a lot as I'd tire whereas now, even though the legs may tire, the core is stronger from the S&C to stay upright for far longer - and I still have the dairy milks too, they're not undoing the work they just mean I won't be an instahun anytime soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Tights :p

Haha I just can't run in them! Tried a few weeks ago when it was freezing but hated them! As you said we are all wired differently;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Haha fair point but to be honest I only remind myself out of habit at this stage to be honest. I never end up having to correct form anymore.

Tights :p

Haha I just can't run in them! Tried a few weeks ago when it was freezing but hated them! As you said we are all wired differently;)

I'm a tights man all day long. And the shorts have been ditched now too so I'm out there in all my glory. Hahaha

I'm a tights man all day long. And the shorts have been ditched now too so I'm out there in all my glory. Hahaha

Good for you :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I learned to my cost that running should be based on a foundation of S&C, especially core.

Outside of the actual running nothing is as important as S&C (core) for running

You can continue to neglect it but you can’t outrun it (pun intended)

Lack of strength, form, core (call it what you like) will eventually catch up with you and break you down.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Not bringing a debate again. Just my opinion on your list, adding shoes lol
    Everyone is different and your reasons for your priorities are sound.

As I see it these are the key factors for success in running;
    1. Training load/progression
    2. Diet/Nutrition
    3. Sleep
    4. Stress (mental)
    5. Supplementary strides/drills/yoga
    6. S&C

Sleep and Nutrition are the easiest (in terms of effort) investments in health but we underestimate so often

You know my thoughts on S&C at this stage. I see it as insurance. Particularly if you do a desk job. Plus I just enjoy variety.

We talk a lot about shoes but many injuries stem from poor/reactive choices and poor research or just poor fit/use.

1. Load/progression
    2. Sleep .. single best recovery
    3. Nutition and stress go hand in hand IMO
    4. Strength ... injury prevention
    5. Footwear... injury prevention
    6. Drills, accessories etc..

I learned to my cost that running should be based on a foundation of S&C, especially core.

Outside of the actual running nothing is as important as S&C (core) for running

You can continue to neglect it but you can’t outrun it (pun intended)

Lack of strength, form, core (call it what you like) will eventually catch up with you and break you down.

TbL

I don't know your full history but what was your training load management like? Were you over training, too much volume, too much high intensity?

I don't think.its an inevitability that everyone will suffer the same fate as you did if they don't have S&C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I don't know your full history but what was your training load management like? Were you over training, too much volume, too much high intensity?

I don't think.its an inevitability that everyone will suffer the same fate as you did if they don't have S&C.

Unfortunately I think most do, but that’s anecdotal on my part.

Stronger core isn’t just isolated to injury prevention, better form, expend less energy and ultimately, faster.

Each to their own, for me, core trumps everything

TbL

It's important that I point put, I'm not suggesting S&C doesn't serve a benefit. It absolutely does. Right now, for me, there's reasons why I don't include it in my week. And if I was going to target anything in that list it would probably be diet/nutrition. I think that would give me the greatest bang for my buck right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Welcome back to logging Swashbuckler :)

Another solid week this week. Getting consistency on these weeks back to back which is great.

Monday - Easy 14M (somewhere around 1hr52mins I think)
    Had a big day ahead at work so needed to get out before the kids woke. Wouldn't have time to get the long run in midday. Pitch black for almost the entirety of the run. Felt good on this though. I don't particularly like these early morning runs in the dark anymore. I've even noticed my mood picks up as the sun comes up. Can't wait for the darkness of winter to leave us. As is often the case I eased into this and progressed to a little quicker as the run went on. Still easy effort level though.

Tuesday - Easy 7.4M
    Desperately bad attempt at shotguns January challenge. 57mins or thereabouts. And too quick a pace. We gotta endulge every now and then eh.

Wednesday - Easy plus 6x20s strides. Total of 7M.
    Standard. All good. Plenty of pop in those strides.

Thursday -
    6x30 sec hills (75 sec rec)
    3 min
    4x2 min @ 6.00 (75 sec)

Good old hills are back! Was happy to see this.
    Nothing overly taxing here. Low enough volume for this to be very manageable. Powering up the hills and then some rhythm running on jelly legs. Found a decent hill and chunked this up with a decent warmup and cooldown. Good day. Probably a few more hills over the next few weeks.
    Total 8.45M.

Friday - Easy 6.6M
    Standard again. No ill effects from the session.

Saturday - Easy 7.9M with 6x20s strides
    Bit of a meh day. Woke meh. Ran meh...... Meh. Crappy sleep the night before. Move on. Don't get too excited with the good running days or too upset with the crappy running days. Steady as she goes.

Sunday - WU/2M at 6.20/90s jog/3x1M at 6.10 (90s)/4x20s strides/CD
    Was really happy when I saw this on the plan. Threw on the Zoomfly flyknit. Went out full of enthusiasm. Really enjoyed this. The two miles felt comfortable, relaxed. A little fatigue in the legs and then into some threshold work. Managed this very well. Paces were spot on. Effort was bang on. If only all days were like this. I love those sessions where you can run relatively relaxed. It's still difficult but the pace is manageable. Feeling it mostly in the legs at the end. Was very surprised at the amount of pop in the strides. Lovely morning/afternoon for this type of run. Good weeks work.

Total for the week was 62M. Just over 8hrs. 99.9km for the week... Aaaaaaaaaagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great weeks running. I agree about running in daylight. Last week all my running was during the the daytime, I found it really refreshing.

MY BAD wrote: »
    Great weeks running. I agree about running in daylight. Last week all my running was during the the daytime, I found it really refreshing.

I've definitely noticed a difference both mentally and physically since reducing the number of early AM runs. Better sleep for one. And like you said above, more refreshing getting out in daylight.

I agree its a bit glum always running in darkness. I like the relative silence but running at day break or into the daytime is even more revitalizing. Fair play getting up and getting your long run done ahead of a big work day.

Like the looks of that Sunday roast session too. Thats the sort of stuff I'm working my LT session towards. A longer piece 10-20min, short pieces 2-4min and strides on the way home.

I was wondering what hill you were doing too, thinking the one by LIT is a bit long. I should have know it wouldn't be too far from the North Circular :D:p

Another consistent week in the books, you have some base at this stage, really amazing consistency.

I agree its a bit glum always running in darkness. I like the relative silence but running at day break or into the daytime is even more revitalizing. Fair play getting up and getting your long run done ahead of a big work day.

Like the looks of that Sunday roast session too. Thats the sort of stuff I'm working my LT session towards. A longer piece 10-20min, short pieces 2-4min and strides on the way home.

I was wondering what hill you were doing too, thinking the one by LIT is a bit long. I should have know it wouldn't be too far from the North Circular :D:p

Another consistent week in the books, you have some base at this stage, really amazing consistency.

Cheers man. Yeah the progress has been great. Not reflected in any race times but definitely reflected in how I feel. The training load and volume I'm managing at this stage is pleasing. Bodes well for the future if I can keep it going. Three 60+ mile weeks in a row without too much difficulty and I've run every day since Stephens Day so 24 days on the trot.

The hills question - I used the hill by Salesians school heading up towards the traffic lights intersecting Ennis Road with Shelbourne Road. Its perfect for what I needed but wouldnt be any good for anything beyond 30 seconds as it flattens out.
    There are a couple of alternatives if I need longer hills. One by the Clarion Hotel up O'Curry St. There's another in the street parallel to it (Alphonsus St) where you start off by Rene Cusacks. Those are probably only useful for hills <1min. Anything longer and im searching elsewhere.

Tired this week!

Monday - Easy 14M (8.03min/mile avg)
    Tuesday - Easy/Recovery 55mins (8.30min/mile avg)
    Wednesday - Easy 55min plus Strides (avg pace off due to the walking rest between strides)
    Thursday - 16x200m off 60s. Every third rep off 30s. Rough target 40-42s per rep.
    Friday - Easy/Recovery 50mins (8.26min/mile avg)
    Saturday - Easy/Recovery 52mins (8.23min/mile avg)
    Sunday - 25min Tempo (10/5/10min continuous at 6.20/6.05/6.20)

Mondays long run was grand. Nothing really to report. The legs did feel tired after the hefty enough session the day before. All in all I had put 24.5miles in the legs in two days so no surprise I was feeling leggy after this. As shotgun as noted before it certainly doesnt help sitting in an office chair for the rest of the day. I always notice the arse cheeks giving out a little more than usual on Mondays after the long run.

Tuesday I was very leggy so kept the effort level as easy as I could. Roughly 8.30min/mile.

By Wednesday's easy run the legs had recovered well. Felt reasonably fresh. Strides added a bit of pop back to the legs.

Thursday's session was an interesting one. Its been a while since i've done a workout like this (short reps at a nippy pace). Luke assured me i'd feel the pinch especially with the 30s recovery every three reps. I wore the Takumi Sen for this one. Not sure f that was the right choice but i'll get to that in a sec. To be honest the session itself was fine. I didnt really feel the pinch in the legs til rep 12 or 13. I shuffled the recoveries for this as I didnt want to get too adventurous and pay for it by rep 10! All in all I felt great during the session. Between warmup and cooldown this was 8.5 miles.
    Splits for the 200's: 37/40/40/40/40/40/39/40/39/40/40/40/39/41/40/37
    First rep was a little hot as I was getting into the groove. Last one was pushing it as I wanted to finish the session strong Still very controlled and well within myself.

Friday - DOMS!! The calves were in bits on Friday. Very sore. As mentioned, I wore the Takumi Sen in the Thursday session and half wondered if they were the cause. In all honesty I just thing it was the new stimulus. The legs arent used to these types of sessions. Its been a lot of tempo stuff, CV, strides. But very little in the way of a session like the 200's. Wasnt overly worried or fussed. Took it handy on the easy run.

Saturday - Still DOMS. Another easy/recovery run. Probably slightly better , but not much. Skipped the strides to be on the safe side. Wore the NB 1080v10 and I liked them. Nothing more than an easy miles shoe. Similar to Pegasus although I think I prefer the foam in the NB.

Sunday - I had contemplated ditching the session. I'm glad I didnt. Took an extended warmup and calves were definitely improved. Kicked on into the first 10min split and the body didnt have too much hassle getting up to effort level needed. Pretty smooth running. Upped the pace for the min split. Little bit more effort here. Little leggy. Back to 6.20 pace for the last 10min split. By the end I was very pleased I went ahead with the session as it was very manageable. I love those tempo sessions.

Total miles for the week: 58.3 miles
    Total time: 7hr 48min
    Total elevation: 310m
    Consecutive days running: 30

Happy with how the week went. More leggy than previous weeks but the last couple of weeks has seen the introduction of some new stimuli which usually takes me a few weeks to adapt to.

Outside of running its been an ok week. Finding this lockdown tougher than the last one. Don't get me wrong I know there are people who have it a lot tougher but man its monotonous. Work, kids, bed, repeat and then the weekend isnt much different. The best we cann do at the weekend is go for a walk with the kids. Steering clear of public places including playgrounds so the little one is feeling it a bit. Tough going. I dont know how some folks manage especially those homeschooling and holding down jobs. Respect.

Had a gander through a couple fo the logs that OOnegative kindly setup a new thread on. Some serious quality logs in there and worth a look for anyone that hasnt. I really need to dedicate more time reading through those than scrolling through facebook at night. Cheers B for putting that thread together. Some mind boggling progress from some of the olf guard from the parts.

Dry January has been going well. No drink since Dec 31st! And i discovered the joys of Peroni 0%. Lovely. Havent had any sweets or chocolate all week. That's been tougher than the drink. Pretty much kicked both crutches out from under me this month. The mind is sharper and the body is happier for it though. The motivation was really to break the habit rather than any long term commitments.

Ooh Peroni 0%! Gotta try it. I rarely drink but a beer some night might be good.

Good consistency again. The 1080v10 feel super when newish. Some amount of cushion.

Looking forward to progressing to those longer tempos. Love them, but you need a base under you.

Ooh Peroni 0%! Gotta try it. I rarely drink but a beer some night might be good.

Good consistency again. The 1080v10 feel super when newish. Some amount of cushion.

Looking forward to progressing to those longer tempos. Love them, but you need a base under you.

Cheers M. Those tempos are great. 25mins is very manageable. Even on tired legs today it didn't cause me too much trouble.

Another great consistent week P!

I hear you on this lockdown being the toughest...Everything seems so much harder this time round, i'll admit to struggling from day to day never mind week to week. I think no set of people have it worse off as such, I think it has hit most people at this stage in terms of every day life. We just have to remember why & for who we are doing this for...the one's we love the most!

• Advertisement

Thanks E. Yeah I think it's a combo of a lot of things - weariness at this stage, the constant opening, closing cycle. Tough seeing our little one having to stare and me and my wife's faces all the time. She needs to be around other kids. Feel for her. My wife is super with her though doing all these new games all the time keeping her entertained. She saw her cousins on a cycle last week and was crying coz they couldn't play with her.
    Drained from it all. Working from home probably doesn't help either. Weekdays are rolling into weekends. I'm optimistic about the year ahead but every news cycle seems to chip away at that optimism.

Yeah it's all the little things that are missed the most. My neighbour of 20 years moved the other day. I dropped a pressie & card in wearing my mask...knocked & stood well back. Said our goodbyes at the door, we both cried & all I wanted to do was hug her...took everything in me just to walk away. We have to stay positive, take it day by day & hopefully soon enough we'll be back doing all the little things & more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah it's all the little things that are missed the most. My neighbour of 20 years moved the other day. I dropped a pressie & card in wearing my mask...knocked & stood well back. Said our goodbyes at the door, we both cried & all I wanted to do was hug her...took everything in me just to walk away. We have to stay positive, take it day by day & hopefully soon enough we'll be back doing all the little things & more!

Try not seeing your kids since Stephens Day....

I go to work and its so desolate I can't wait for days off. On days off its so groundhog day I can't wait to get back to work...,hamster on a wheel...

skyblue46 wrote: »

I go to work and its so desolate I can't wait for days off. On days off its so groundhog day I can't wait to get back to work...,hamster on a wheel...

Haven't seen my parents since Stephens day and they haven't seen my kids since September!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Try not seeing your Father, Mother and two sisters since July 2019!

OOnegative wrote: »

OK you win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Haven't seen my parents since Stephens day and they haven't seen my kids since September!
    OOnegative wrote: »

Its just a fookin b0llix

I have it both ways. WFH with my 4 and 6 year old on my own 3 days a week (Mrs Shotgun front line). Haven't seen my eldest, almost 16 since Stephen's Day. The younger 2 miss him as much as I do.

I have it both ways. WFH with my 4 and 6 year old on my own 3 days a week (Mrs Shotgun front line). Haven't seen my eldest, almost 16 since Stephen's Day. The younger 2 miss him as much as I do.

Thank god for running is all I'll say lads. It's the one thing that clears my head every day.

• Advertisement

I agree & said it in my original reply, it's affecting everybody in different ways, all we can do is hope that it's going to get better & we can all go back to seeing/hugging the people we love. By giving my own example I was in no way taking away from anyone else's circumstances...We can have a group hug when it's all safe to do so:p

Advertisement