Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales from the Glue Factory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote: »
    Obviously walked that fcukin TT in tights I’d say!!! Run well P!!

Haha. A different time I was only a little baba back then..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Cheers folks! No idea what shape I'm in but planning on taking the high risk approach and see where I end up. Probably in the ditch but we'll see.

Sure is S... I'm running for Jesus....

What's the target pace?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What's the target pace?

There's none to be honest. I have a sense of how I want to feel so I'm hoping to pretty much ignore the watch completely and run it entirely on feel.
    Some of the sessions lately have given me the confidence to maybe stretch beyond what I would have thought my pace should be for 5k. So I'll hopefully go hard and see from there... All great in theory when I'm sitting on the couch. Different story after 2km.

There's none to be honest. I have a sense of how I want to feel so I'm hoping to pretty much ignore the watch completely and run it entirely on feel.
    Some of the sessions lately have given me the confidence to maybe stretch beyond what I would have thought my pace should be for 5k. So I'll hopefully go hard and see from there... All great in theory when I'm sitting on the couch. Different story after 2km.

For what its worth I think you're in a great place. Hopefully there are good running conditions.

Cheers S. Conditions look ideal.

I'm reluctant to put a goal out there so I'm being a bit elusive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck on Friday P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Cheers S. Conditions look ideal.

I'm reluctant to put a goal out there so I'm being a bit elusive :D

a man of mystery...

adds to the anticipation;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

a man of mystery...

adds to the anticipation;)

Sandbagging more like...

healy1835 wrote: »
    Sandbagging more like...

I was being diplomatic:P

healy1835 wrote: »
    Sandbagging more like...

Surely a soft time needs to be put out there to be considered sandbagging :D

I have an idea of what pace I've been getting for the effort level I want to start out with but what that effort turns into after 2 or 3k is the unknown. So I could blow up completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great idea to run independently of the watch - hope you have the discipline not to look! Piece of gaffer tape will keep you honest. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great idea to run independently of the watch - hope you have the discipline not to look! Piece of gaffer tape will keep you honest. ;)

Afraid to go that far. I think my brain will be such a mess in the latter part I'm not confident I'll know what km I'm in!

As AMK (i think) once said - my legs were like jelly and my brain was like custard.

Will follow up on Sunday with the full weeks training but wanted to get the "Race Report" out of the way while it's all still fresh in my mind.

5k TT

The mantra in my head going into this one was "Get uncomfortable and stay uncomfortable". I wanted to push hard early on and not let myself settle into a rhythm. Just push hard all the way through and always feel on the edge. In that sense it was mission accomplished. What I wasnt prepared for was just how uncomfortable it would be and how early it started to feel that way. More on that later.

Anyone following the log knows my mentality over the past year. Nothing race specific and building the base with consistent training. Today was Day 98 of the streak. 60+ miles a week consistently. since January. This week was a bit of a down week in terms of volume with a tune up session on Tuesday. I had a couple of tester sessions the past few weeks. In particular the 3x(800/600/400) session was the point that I felt like I could attack the 5k and do some damage. I wont lie, i felt like I could manage sub 17 based on how I was feeling off that session. Even by the last set (at roughly sub 17 pace) I still felt reasonably controlled. The unknown was how that pace would feel strung together over 5k with no breaks. But I had decided it was worth the attempt today. Conditions were absolutely perfect.

Felt like garbage yesterday on the Shakeout. The past couple of days had me feeling like the dose from last week was still lingering. Didnt make any decisions until this morning. Woke early and certainly felt good enough to hit the road. Made a conscious decision to wear the same shoes (Nike 4%) and run the same route as the Boards 5k TT from this month last year (18.04). Would be a good reference point of progression over the year. Felt reasonably ok on the warmup. Nervous about the pain to come (nothing more than usual). Warmup and strides done. Had a brief chat with myself and the body. Reassured the legs, arms, lungs, heart and mind that we were all buddies and we're in this together (no joke by the way - seems to work for me - gets everyone on the same page so they don't fight when it gets tough).

Took off and within two or three hundred metres the legs felt like jelly and the breathing was all over the place. Not unusual for the legs to feel that way with me. It's just fear and it usually passes. The breathing was unusual. I didnt feel like my breathing was that out of control at any stage in the 3x(800/600/400) session. Might have been too much of a jolt for the system (I really didnt hang around as I feared I'd talk myself out of it). Probably more to do with the pace though. Looking back on my Garmin data it was a hot start. But that was always the plan. Go off hot and try stay hot....

I'll show the splits later but the story of the run is a simple one really. Pain from 300m in. Never settled into much of a rhythm. Felt like I was on the edge very early. Because of that it didnt feel like any sort of an accomplished run from a guy who was well in control. It was balls to the wall, rough, awful. Wanted to stop after 2km. Didnt. It always surprises me when Boards pops into my head during these efforts. There's always a desire of wanting to do well and come back and tell your buddies online.

Murph will be proud to hear i didnt look at the watch until 4km beeped. I had an idea of where I needed to be to get sub 17. I was there or thereabouts although the brain was mushed and I was pretty confused at that stage anyway. I managed to muster up a little push for the last km and maintain it. I was begging for the last beep and when it did arrive i gave it a second before hitting stop and then flopped to the ground. Buckled. More of an effort than my 5M TT and 5k TT from last year. Felt on a par with the 1M TT in terms of not having much more to give.

Overall time was 17.02. Km splits were 3.21/3.26/3.27/3.27/3.19 (happy to see I mustered a recovery in the last km). Sub 17 target pace would have been 3.23. Also happy to see those kind of splits were run on effort with no feedback from the watch.

In relation to my fastest 5k prior to that I think it was 17.37 in 2018 although im not 100% sure. A full minute faster than my 5k TT last year which is what really matters to me. Feels like is the best shape i've been in although there was nothing smooth or beautiful about my form by the end. I was hanging on for dear life and the hip is a bit annoyed at me now. The legs had it today. The lungs didnt have the capacity to deliver the oxygen the body was asking for. All in all I'm massively happy with the effort. It's always a bit of a balls when you're that close to the arbitrary sub 17 target. I'm confident with some 5k specific stuff i'd manage it (maybe with someone to push me).

The rest of the day was a lovely day solo parenting in the sunshine. Now, beer o clock...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

For a man who has a tights & shoe fetish, that’s pretty tasty running!! Not that it’s any great surprise to any of us who know you & follow your training. Well done P, completely deserved return!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Well done, great run!

Well done, enjoyed reading that...sums up a 5k perfectly :D
    Great time, enjoy the well deserved beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great racing

Well done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

A really superb run and I'm nearly sure you're not supposed to feel good at any point of a 5k anyway! I imagine you'd find the extra few seconds (at least) in a proper race setting. Well done!

Fantastic stuff young man! So what's the plan for the anniversary TT? Same course, same watchless approach and different shoes?

Fantastic stuff young man! So what's the plan for the anniversary TT? Same course, same watchless approach and different shoes?

You're actually bang on the money. Haha.

• Advertisement

You're actually bang on the money. Haha.

Interesting to compare....weather permitting of course. Have you decided which from your vast collection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great running on a solo effort, well done P!

Interesting to compare....weather permitting of course. Have you decided which from your vast collection?

Leaning towards Adios Pro. Thoughts of another 5k tho :eek:

Leaning towards Adios Pro. Thoughts of another 5k tho :eek:

Sooner you than me :pac::pac: I thought you might go for the Endorphin Pro.. sure you'll have to do a few 5k to test them all out ;)

Sooner you than me :pac::pac: I thought you might go for the Endorphin Pro.. sure you'll have to do a few 5k to test them all out ;)

I did some tester runs a few weeks back and the endorphin just felt like a half or full shoe. The Adidas felt like a faster shoe at my 5k pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fab. Your splits are simply eye-watering to the likes of me! And I wish I had that pain tolerance. Love the pep talk to the various life systems. Must remember that one. Congrats on a great PB, you got what was coming and of course you’d get more out under race conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Super time. Fair play for going out so fast, shows how confident you are in your running. You would've broken 17 mins in the other shoes. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

If takes a few 5kms together to get the body used to the pain. Another 5k in a few weeks and you should knock at least 10 seconds of that time. Even hard 3k in a few weeks to work on the turnover then another 5km a few weeks after that will seem easy.

MY BAD wrote: »
    If takes a few 5kms together to get the body used to the pain. Another 5k in a few weeks and you should knock at least 10 seconds of that time. Even hard 3k in a few weeks to work on the turnover then another 5km a few weeks after that will seem easy.

Yeah I'll probably have a crack at it for the Boards TT at the end of the month with a turnover session two weeks before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That was a great read, congrats on a great result, expecially given the discomfort so early on.

Advertisement