Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Senior Dog Food - Yet another dog food thread

• 04-01-2021 4:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

So is there anything in this senior dog food phenomenon? Is it worth investigating and researching different senior foods or is it better to just add joint supplements to the food I'm already feeding.

I'd rather not feed anything containing battery chicken so might be better sticking to non chicken based foods and adding supplements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So is there anything in this senior dog food phenomenon? Is it worth investigating and researching different senior foods or is it better to just add joint supplements to the food I'm already feeding.

I'd rather not feed anything containing battery chicken so might be better sticking to non chicken based foods and adding supplements.

Have you considered orijen five fish?
    As its grain free add some foods rich in taurine to avoid heart issues ... ie shellfish, red meat a few times per week. U can also get a taurine supplement via ur vet (again covered by Allianz)

What age is your dog? Are the joints acting up now? Or is this a preventative measure?

Try adding yumove advance 360 (via ur vet and covered by Allianz)

Tumeric paste is a good anti inflammatory:
    I bought Cody’s one here - https://www.holistichound.ie/product-page/golden-paste

I also added fish oils to his daily diet.. he had hip dysplasia and arthritis .. I’m not sure if senior food with joint supplements included are worth the money personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Sashas blend is a good marine supplement for joint arthritis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

He will be 9 next month. He is not showing any signs of bone or joint problems, it would be purely preventative as you say. He's not showing any signs of his age at all really. He is happy to walk 5k still which we rarely do any more, equally happy to not walk at all if its raining. Maybe he doesn't need any of this at all. He gets the odd tin of sardines with his food, he will eat anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

He will be 9 next month. He is not showing any signs of bone or joint problems, it would be purely preventative as you say. He's not showing any signs of his age at all really. He is happy to walk 5k still which we rarely do any more, equally happy to not walk at all if its raining. Maybe he doesn't need any of this at all. He gets the odd tin of sardines with his food, he will eat anything.

Honestly if it were me .. If its not broken as they say and he’s doing well .. I’d leave him be .. any change then look at supplements! I’d add a whisked egg and tinned red salmon to him meals once per week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey is 11 and I haven’t really changed anything? He’s been on raw since he was 2ish. I do feed the senior naturediet sometimes but more so because it’s the lowest in fat. Other wet foods I use are Rocco/Rinti/Integra gastro cans from zooplus. Supplement wise he gets OmegaWild fish oil and another senior combo that I got a sample of with something I was buying - Canicox-GR - he thinks the tablets are lovely treats and will do anything for them lol. I err on the side of caution with supplements - it can be easy to fall down the rabbit hole of throwing things at them and assuming they’re fine because they’re natural. Golden paste for example I stopped using long ago because it did more harm than good for him.

I think a regular 6 month checkup with bloods can be better than any supplements or changes tbh because you know where you are and subtle changes can be spotted and tracked over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I see most senior dog foods are just larger lower in calories (older dogs are typically less active) and maybe more digestible ingredients/easier to chew kibble. That's it, as far as I know. I don't have any plan to switch my dogs over to a senior diet, they get YuMove for their joints.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

If it’s purely a preventative that you are looking at then maybe something like this would be good and it’s not just for joints but also digestion, heart and immune system.

https://www.petstop.ie/beaphar-salmon-oil?gclid=Cj0KCQiAlsv_BRDtARIsAHMGVSZv5mpAsQVsUbiMohMMuMvDMa3ag9upxSyzkQDiRA7bcHch8TZDNtIaAm4oEALw_wcB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes I already give him salmon oil. It helps the plaque off stick to the food so it doesn’t get left sitting in the bowl when he’s finished. :pac:

"Senior" and "small breed" foods tend to come with a loaded price compared to regular dog food. As far as I can tell, it's simply a slightly different combination of protein %'s with maybe some added fish oil etc- nothing that you couldn't organise yourself for much cheaper.
    reducing portion sizes of existing feed, especially if working well but taking into account reduced activity might be all you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Grainnef93

We use the natural dog company hip & joint supplements with all our dogs and don't use senior food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement