Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Farthings, Legality and responsibility.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dec 2020
    ...the latest figures show that the number of motorists caught speeding on Irish roads increased by 26 pc compared to last year...

Serious concern has been expressed by the chief garda officer in Tipperary over an 80 per cent increase in excessive speeding detections recorded in the county in the first 10 months of the current year.

Chief Superintendent Derek Smart said the number of cases had jumped to 3,326 compared to 1,872 for the same period in 2019.... and did not even include detections by the speeding vans operated on behalf of the State by the private company Go-Safe.

Speeding interceptions doubled in the first three months of 2019.
    Commissioner Harris said speed limits were “mandatory, not advisory”.

He said some drivers were breaching the speed limit “to an excessive extent”.

The commissioner said garda detections for speeding and other motoring offences, including drink driving, were “climbing”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have to say, having never wanted to cycle a PF before as it looks uncomfortable and a tad stupid. Now, I would love too, if all it did was cause as much irritation to the population at large by simply existing.

Have to agree. I've literally never seen a PF on the road but I'm dying to get one now. 33 page thread on PFs, what magnificent times we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

jive wrote: »
    Have to agree. I've literally never seen a PF on the road but I'm dying to get one now. 33 page thread on PFs, what magnificent times we live in

Will soon need a P-far Images of Beauty thread

beauf wrote: »
    Good demo of how to mount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm seriously liking this reproduction PF in Hull (which I guess would now be subject to import duty and/or VAT)
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Penny-Farthing-Beautiful-Singer-British-Challenge/124012285119?hash=item1cdfb54cbf:g:0pYAAOSwmENd9o2t

The seller also has this Rotary Tricycle up for sale (as well as a few other PFs): https://www.ebay.de/itm/Coventry-Rotary-Tricycle-Reproduction-by-RoE-Not-Penny-Farthing/123934435403?hash=item1cdb11684b:g:ws0AAOSwADVdnkzu

Manufacturer: Richards of England

Since there's no triangle. Locking it might be a bit of the challenge.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Good demo of how to mount.
    Once you watch it, then plan your next holiday (maybe in 2022 or 2023?)...
    https://www.airbnb.ie/experiences/1044825

I like the way this thread has bifurcated into two parallel, almost independent threads: scold-y one, and "Hmm, looks interesting ..."

You come back and find your front wheel gone and it's much worse that that usually is

• Advertisement

... not sure what they'll do with a 1.3m wheel. Fit it to the p-far on the neighbouring stand where the owner locked only the front wheel and make their getaway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least the list of potential bike thieves would be short. though how you would trick a suspected thief into revealing he knows how to cycle a PF is one to ponder on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

at least the list of potential bike thieves would be short. though how you would trick a suspected thief into revealing he knows how to cycle a PF is one to ponder on.

I imagine a bike thief trying to cycle away and realising that flat out it's not much better than running. Not to mention the comedy as I jam something in the front wheel spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't want to own one, but I definitely want a go one one. Kinda like the way I want a go on a unicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I want a Van!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I want a Van!

To transport bikes??

*Edit* Sorry. I forgot that this thread started with a van hitting a PF...

cletus wrote: »
    I don't want to own one, but I definitely want a go one one. Kinda like the way I want a go on a unicycle

Having tried a unicycle once, I'd prefer a PF but I suspect I feel safer on the unicycle.

To transport bikes??

Yep. I have this idea of converting it into a kinda camper van so I can go to France and follow the tour. I can bring a bike and cycle around etc.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yep. I have this idea of converting it into a kinda camper van so I can go to France and follow the tour. I can bring a bike and cycle around etc.

Please see my edit above...

Please see my edit above...

Well I was going to say “I want a van so I can run into lads on penny farthings!” (But thought the better of it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I really want a go on a penny farthing. And whatever a rotary bike is. That's the maddest looking bike I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I like the way this thread has bifurcated into two parallel, almost independent threads: scold-y one, and "Hmm, looks interesting ..."

I would say the main division in this thread is between people on each side of mid life crisis and those currently having mid life crisis. Safe to say no one is younger than 30 or cool.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I would say the main division in this thread is between people on each side of mid life crisis and those currently having mid life crisis. Safe to say no one is younger than 30 or cool.

Yes, IIRC, you're in the scold-y one alright

Interesting, where do I fall? (I know where my wife thinks I fall)

Interesting, where do I fall? (I know where my wife thinks I fall)

Well it depends how much you want to spend on glorified wall decoration that you'll never properly master or on a sports car. :D

I feel young!

I feel young!

I'm sure we all do. I still bet no one is under 30.

I'm sure we all do. I still bet no one is under 30.

I used to be under 30...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i do enjoy the irony that people think penny farthings should not be allowed on the road, while cars which can do multiples of the highest speed limit are also legal.

not that i'm drawing a link between say the bugatti veyron and increased risk of crashing, but neither am i doing so for a penny farthing.

• Advertisement

I feel young!

I used to feel young.

Advertisement