Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Farthings, Legality and responsibility.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we're talking about penny farthings and someone is commenting that we sound old. i don't know how to react.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

we're talking about penny farthings and someone is commenting that we sound old. i don't know how to react.

Woah, over 30 is not old. I mean, I'd calrify what old is but I don't want to offend some of the people who think they are young around here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »
    Woah, over 30 is not old.

Rather depends how much over 30....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

smacl wrote: »
    Rather depends how much over 30....

60 seems young if you are 90.

The F15 Fighter jets are 40+ years old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am of a certain age that 'blue lines' and 'nevermind' formed part of the soundtrack of my youth.
    to a 16 year old today, they are so far back in time (more than 29 years), that it would have been like the 16 year old me having to go back earlier than *the beatles'* first album to reach a similarly old piece of music.
    and i'm not even that old!

• Advertisement

Penny-farthing sales surge in lockdown as suppliers struggle to keep up with demand
    https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/penny-farthings-lockdown-sales-surge-demand-doubles-827047?ito=twitter_share_article-top

So funny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Since the pandemic, people have had time to think about their lives

Kind of true isn't it.

i finally had some time for some self reflection, and realised that i needed to retrain as a life coach, and oh, buy a penny farthing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

£1295 for one. They really are the new dryrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don’t see the attraction of PF’s. The “safety bicycle” caught on for a reason. I also don’t like the idea that once your on one, your invisible to the naked eye! ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I don’t see the attraction of PF’s. The “safety bicycle” caught on for a reason. I also don’t like the idea that once your on one, your invisible to the naked eye! ;)

Also the name penny farthing smacks of British colonialism. It should be a €2 5c bike

the gas thing about bikes is that despite all the attempts over the years to 'improve' on the double triangle design, since its invention, they fall by the wayside and we're back to it again.
    GT just got greedy in the 90s (or was it 80s?) with the triple triangle design, but i have seen hints of it on some bikes again in the last few years.

Well, the recumbent design has hung around, though it's niche (not as niche as a penny farthing), and various folding/disassembly designs aren't strictly diamond frame: say, a Moulton or a Brompton (though you definitely could argue they're just very heavily distorted double-diamond frames).

But the diamond frame/chain/differential gear combo is just a stone-cold classic, and was as total a game changer as ever existed, I guess.

folding bikes and double triangle frames are just too awkward to bring together, i guess?
    muddy fox do market something approaching one, and it should come with a NSFW warning, it's that ugly (and unsafe) looking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muddyfox-Compact-Mens-Folding-Mountain/dp/B07F8GZYGL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

Does Mike Ashley still own Muddy Fox? And if so, is he still just sticking the logo on any old crap, or is it being run like a proper company, with r&d etc.

i think he does. i think it's just a brand lashing their logo onto anything a supplier can get for them (but many bike brands are like that anyway)

folding bikes and double triangle frames are just too awkward to bring together, i guess?
    muddy fox do market something approaching one, and it should come with a NSFW warning, it's that ugly (and unsafe) looking.

Yeah, the Brompton has a rear triangle and then a tiny frame triangle with what is really a low top tube extending far ahead of the frame triangle. The fancier Moulton frame seems to use a framework of triangles, bit like a crane.

That Muddyfox is inelegant alright.

the gas thing about bikes is that despite all the attempts over the years to 'improve' on the double triangle design, since its invention, they fall by the wayside and we're back to it again.
    GT just got greedy in the 90s (or was it 80s?) with the triple triangle design, but i have seen hints of it on some bikes again in the last few years.

Manufacturers did improve on the double triangle for TT bikes in the 90s and it only reverted because UCI decided things were getting silly and brought out strict rules for what constitutes a bike

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm old enough to remember, when Muddy Fox made proper bikes.
    Does this make me old?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Does this make me old?

Depends. Were you 50 at the time?

cletus wrote: »

not quite

I remember one of the Athertons, think it was Gee, riding a Muddy Fox rebadged Intense M1. That's about 20 years ago.

I remember one of the Athertons, think it was Gee, riding a Muddy Fox rebadged Intense M1. That's about 20 years ago.

So around 2000. Muddy Fox weren't Muddy Fox by then. They went to the wall around '92-'93. They were sold a number of times, until Mike Ashley bought them, which was around '00, I think, and started slapping that logo on anything he could.

Does this make me old?
    my first 'decent' bike was a courier comp.

beauf wrote: »

Do you have to buy the tracks separately?

• Advertisement

So around 2000. Muddy Fox weren't Muddy Fox by then. They went to the wall around '92-'93. They were sold a number of times, until Mike Ashley bought them, which was around '00, I think, and started slapping that logo on anything he could.

I started mountainbiking around '91 or '92.
    I seem to remember a few lads around the Dublin area and N.I. having Muddy Foxes. They were well regarded at that time.
    And I think, around that time, there were a few M.F. BMXs floating around

Advertisement