Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Farthings, Legality and responsibility.

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

As a teenager, I worked in “Charlie’s” bike shop in Ballybough. I remember the Raleigh rep telling us that a new bike was being launched....Anyone remember the Raleigh Vektar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

vektar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

07Lapierre wrote: »
    As a teenager, I worked in “Charlie’s” bike shop in Ballybough. I remember the Raleigh rep telling us that a new bike was being launched....Anyone remember the Raleigh Vektar?

I do.
    I remember bringing my son for a haircut and seeing one of them on the street where the Barber's was. He was 6 or 7 at the time. He wanted one, so badly. I knew eff all about bikes at the time, but I thought they looked far too complicated and easily broken for my liking.
    Thankfully, I was able to change the subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

our local raleigh shop was the one at the back of roselawn shopping centre in blanchardstown. right at the height of BMX mania, they got some chap over from the UK who was a BMX champion of some description for a demonstration. at one point (i think the finale) they asked for volunteers for him to bunny hop over, and managed to get - IIRC - 30 people lying side by side; me and my brother wanted to volunteer, but my dad was having none of it.
    he had a good run up anyway, but nearly piled himself into the railings between the car park and the EHB place next door after landing. i'd say he missed the last guy by a couple of inches. in hindsight, i'm even surprised my dad allowed us watch; if yer man had fluffed it, james connolly would have been like a war zone.

Might have been Andy Ruffel, he was a big deal around that time for BMX hijinks.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I do.
    I remember bringing my son for a haircut and seeing one of them on the street where the Barber's was. He was 6 or 7 at the time. He wanted one, so badly. I knew eff all about bikes at the time, but I thought they looked far too complicated and easily broken for my liking.
    Thankfully, I was able to change the subject.

I remember the Vektar. A whole lot of molded plastic on a cheap bike with a lot of buttons that made the same sound if you pressed the space bar down on a Commodore 64. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

our local raleigh shop was the one at the back of roselawn shopping centre in blanchardstown. right at the height of BMX mania, they got some chap over from the UK who was a BMX champion of some description for a demonstration. at one point (i think the finale) they asked for volunteers for him to bunny hop over, and managed to get - IIRC - 30 people lying side by side; me and my brother wanted to volunteer, but my dad was having none of it.
    he had a good run up anyway, but nearly piled himself into the railings between the car park and the EHB place next door after landing. i'd say he missed the last guy by a couple of inches. in hindsight, i'm even surprised my dad allowed us watch; if yer man had fluffed it, james connolly would have been like a war zone.

Should have gotten all the kids to wear magic hi-vis while lying down, that would definitely have kept them safe.

Advertisement