Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Farthings, Legality and responsibility.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's when they clim a rock wall. Most mountains you climb are not just one climbing wall. However knock yourself out on semantics if you want to. And no you don't use steel toe cap boots and as far as I know I didn't mention them anywhere.

You should always wear a helmet when doing semantics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You should always wear a helmet when doing semantics

Well you're between a rock and hard place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXHUq2S8qq8&ab_channel=CatersClips

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

beauf wrote: »
    Do you go on many hikes where you avoid rocks so often you need helmets and steel toe boots. Maybe mountains should be off limits to hikers with all the rock falls. Maybe they should be restricted to hard paths in parks. Bit like the way urban environments are too dangerous for cycling.

I didn't think urban environments or mountains are particularly dangerous unless you are a moron. Then everything is dangerous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of non-standard bikes, i'd love a go on a fully faired recumbent (on a closed track); apparently they're insanely fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and on that note, i think i'd be more nervous in a recumbent than on a penny farthing, in an urban context.

• Advertisement

I didn't think urban environments or mountains are particularly dangerous unless you are a moron. Then everything is dangerous.

I hadn't thought a PF was either. Apparently its akin to base jumping though.

Who knew...

I hadn't thought a PF was either. Apparently its akin to base jumping though.

Who knew...

Well they are only obsolete 150 years or so. I'm sure they are still perfectly adaptable to today's use. Like horse and carriage on a motorway.

a horse and carriage are still legal on roads. the mention of motorways is a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Well they are only obsolete 150 years or so. I'm sure they are still perfectly adaptable to today's use. Like horse and carriage on a motorway.

Bicycle are not allowed on a motorway either.

A few other things too.
    Learner drivers
    Slow vehicles (i.e. not capable of reaching 50 km/h (30 mph) on a level road)
    Invalid carriages (lightweight three-wheeled vehicles)
    Pedestrians
    Pedal-cycles (bicycles, etc.)
    Vehicles under 50cc (e.g. mopeds)
    Vehicles without pneumatic tyres
    Animals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorways_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Does that mean they are all obsolete too. Or maybe this is yet another thing that has got nothing to do with the other.

• Advertisement

and on that note, i think i'd be more nervous in a recumbent than on a penny farthing, in an urban context.

Well, I imagine we'll have a collision of a recumbent colliding with something on video to pore over here sooner or later.

a horse and carriage are still legal on roads. the mention of motorways is a red herring.

I didn't say he was breaking a law or was at fault. I said he is a moron (and attention seeker), probably one without teeth too.

gctest50 wrote: »
    The PF rider cycled into the van, if missed the tail end of the van he would have cycled into the wall

The van is passed the line of the footpath when the PF rider crashes into the van

Look at how far left he is

https://imgur.com/Fqu57L5

He swerved left to avoid the van though. You can't really dart in front of an oncoming vehicle, make the person take evasive action and then absolve yourself on the grounds of (barely) clearing the person's original trajectory.

I didn't say he was breaking a law or was at fault. I said he is a moron (and attention seeker), probably one without teeth too.

Does this also apply to vintage car drivers also.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He swerved left to avoid the van though. You can't really dart in front of an oncoming vehicle, make the person take evasive action and then absolve yourself on the grounds of (barely) clearing the person's original trajectory.

He probably thinks he should be fined for cycling on the pavement, and loitering for just reclining on the pavement.

Bicycle are not allowed on a motorway either.

A few other things too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorways_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Does that mean they are all obsolete too. Or maybe this is yet another thing that has got nothing to do with the other.
    You are very good at imagining what I wrote. Last time it was steel toe caps (which still baffles me btw, you would have to be crazy to wear steel toe caps anywhere near rolling rocks), this time it is obsolete=drives on motorway.

Just for you:

1a : no longer in use or no longer useful an obsolete word. b : of a kind or style no longer current : old-fashioned an obsolete technology farming methods that are now obsolete. 2 of a plant or animal part : indistinct or imperfect as compared with a corresponding part in related organisms : vestigial. obsolete.

You are very good at imagining what I wrote. Last time it was steel toe caps (which still baffles me btw, you would have to be crazy to wear steel toe caps anywhere near rolling rocks), this time it is obsolete=drives on motorway.

Just for you:

1a : no longer in use or no longer useful an obsolete word. b : of a kind or style no longer current : old-fashioned an obsolete technology farming methods that are now obsolete. 2 of a plant or animal part : indistinct or imperfect as compared with a corresponding part in related organisms : vestigial. obsolete.

You're very good at not answering a question about anything you post, but instead posting another unrelated thing.

People use vintage stuff all the time. It got nothing to do with obsolescence.

I don't really think the hating on attention seekers is necessarily justified. They can be pretty entertaining, and add to the gaiety of the nation.

Penny farthings are technically obsolete alright though. The main reason for the big wheel disappeared with differential gearing, chain drives and pneumatic tyres. There's no practical reason to favour one.

I do like them though.

Well, I imagine we'll have a collision of a recumbent colliding with something on video to pore over here sooner or later.

Probably a horse and cart. Both with no teeth. (not sure if that applies to the horse).

Does this also apply to vintage car drivers also.

It can for what I care. If they drive in an unsafe car they might be more likely dead and less likely toothless but yeah. It also depends how road worthy the car is but it's clear some of them have no place on roads outside exhibition drives where road is closed for all other traffic.

I wouldn't have any issues someone cycling 70 years (or whatever other age) old bike if it's in roadworthy condition.

• Advertisement

He probably thinks he should be fined for cycling on the pavement, and loitering for just reclining on the pavement.

I once hit an icy patch on a corner in town, and had to leave the road; it was either go up the dished kerb or hit the raised kerb basically. Nauturally, with this choice, I ended up on the footpath, but stopped promptly. I handled it fairly well, but two pedestrians gave me some very dirty looks, as if it was a standard pavement-cycling scenario (they weren't all that near me at the time).

Probably a horse and cart. Both with no teeth. (not sure if that applies to the horse).

If you wait long enough, every scenario and combination will probably end up on YouTube.

I don't really think the hating on attention seekers is necessarily justified. They can be pretty entertaining, and add to the gaiety of the nation.

Penny farthings are technically obsolete alright though. The main reason for the big wheel disappeared with differential gearing, chain drives and pneumatic tyres. There's no practical reason to favour one.

I do like them though.

There are other big wheels....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZCZsHJIR8&ab_channel=devinsupertramp

:D

It can for what I care. If they drive in an unsafe car they might be more likely dead and less likely toothless but yeah. It also depends how road worthy the car is but it's clear some of them have no place on roads outside exhibition drives where road is closed for all other traffic.

I wouldn't have any issues someone cycling 70 years (or whatever other age) old bike if it's in roadworthy condition.

No place on public roads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAMS9g_5bI&ab_channel=JayLeno%27sGarage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCPy0d2KRSc&ab_channel=JayLeno%27sGarage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo&ab_channel=JayLeno%27sGarage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

See the guy in his bare feet, f**kin' hell!

I'd say he and Jerry Seinfeld probably can regale each other all day long with their collections of unusual cars

Oh grow up. No I don't think you should drive car without seat belt in normal traffic. I'm sure other safety objections would be there too. I'm not even going to bother with the other two videos.

No place on public roads...
    he also has a turbine powered car, which has an unfortunate side effect of melting the bumper of anyone who pulls up too close to him in traffic.

he also has a turbine powered car, which has an unfortunate side effect of melting the bumper of anyone who pulls up too close to him in traffic.
    I think Jerry Seinfeld has a car that he can't drive on the road, because it's such a limited edition it was never certified for use on the road.

Ah, it's this one, I think:
    You can’t just take a car off the race track and drive it to work. But performance and modifications aren’t the reasons the 1983 Porsche 959 in the Jerry Seinfeld car collection can’t go on the road – it’s emissions. More specifically, emissions and safety testing.

Porsche needed to build 200 models to tackle legal obligations in Germany and all of them were purchased before they left the line. The US needed four models for emissions and safety testing, but they just weren’t available. We couldn’t put our stamp of approval on it and Jerry can’t drive his $700,000 Porsche.
    Porsche_959_Concept_Car_Gruppe_B_1983-650x487.jpg?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1
    https://shoptoolreviews.com/news/jerry-seinfeld-car-collection-were-still-drooling/34977/

• Advertisement

Advertisement