Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky - moving house

Options
  • 04-01-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I moved house on the 27th just down the road.
    I called sky on the first week of December to arrange the move. It all seemed fairly straightforward, they’d deactivate my current address on the 26th and activate on the 27th with Tv to be installed a week or two later. That seemed fine so I went with that.

On the 27th there was no sign of internet, tried calling but i after being on hold for 30’mins I gave up it being the 27th. I called again on the 28th a little more anxious as I work remotely but I was on call the 29th-31st

I was told it would take another 24 hours but the lady was assertive so I took her word. Again on the 29th due no broadband. I was on call and thankfully it was quiet but should it have been busy I’d wouldn't be able to do my job. They told me it would be the 31st or else the 4th of jan at the latest.

It’s now the 4th of January and there is no broadband they have promised me the 6th
    I go back to work fully tomorrow and I won’t be able to work in the house.

I am absolutely vexed, I asked to speak to a manager and they told me that I’d have to wait 3 days for a manager to call me back.

I’m in contract til may but I am just wondering what my options are for redress, has anyone gone down this road with sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Best bet with Sky is to write in and hope you get the call from the TLC (exec) team. Otherwise it's a case of keep ringing them, but all they are just agents for BT Ireland and all that happens is a email gets fired off asking someone else just as disinterested in customers what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No way BB can be deactivate/activated in 24 hours at 2 different addresses. Contact jd.buckley@sky.ie for escalations though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

No way BB can be deactivate/activated in 24 hours at 2 different addresses. Contact jd.buckley@sky.ie for escalations though

I understand that, and in fairness i probed on exactly what’s involved to see if the agent would escalate it as the 6th is too late

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Being on call during a house move is a very bad idea (let alone during holiday season), there could be an issue with the line in the new premises that they need an engineer to deal with, I would highly recommend resetting your expectations as to when the issue will be resolved, and inform your work accordingly.

astrofool wrote: »
    Being on call during a house move is a very bad idea (let alone during holiday season), there could be an issue with the line in the new premises that they need an engineer to deal with, I would highly recommend resetting your expectations as to when the issue will be resolved, and inform your work accordingly.

Lol the state of this comment

My expectations was set by the advisor who ensured me everything would be fine.
    I spoke to this advisor at the beginning of December.
    As for being on call I had the block of the holidays booked up until Monday but had to go on call last minute resulting in me going back to work Today instead of Monday

Anyways the email to jd resulted in it being activated this morning and I was good to go at 10.30

I also received a credit to my account for the inconvenience.

Thanks for everyone else’s responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As a backup use your phone as a Hotspot, but they should have advised that it would take a couple of additional days considering how Christmas fell.

Sky piggy back on eir infrastructure, so it's eir (open eir Rather than eir consumer division) that do the actual work.

I would have expected 3-4 working days especially as it's Christmas.

Person on the phone was probably following a pre written script.

Darc19 wrote: »
    As a backup use your phone as a Hotspot, but they should have advised that it would take a couple of additional days considering how Christmas fell.

Sky piggy back on eir infrastructure, so it's eir (open eir Rather than eir consumer division) that do the actual work.

I would have expected 3-4 working days especially as it's Christmas.

Person on the phone was probably following a pre written script.

Agree, but we went with what was advised.

I would have happily deactivated a week earlier just to ensure everything would be plain sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

skinny90 wrote: »
    Agree, but we went with what was advised.

I would have happily deactivated a week earlier just to ensure everything would be plain sailing

Exactly. Sometimes these call centre people over promise and that just leads to annoyed customers.

If they had told you 7-10 days due to covid and Christmas (may as well add brexit too :D ) you could at least have planned for it.

Hopefully you will sorted this week

Darc19 wrote: »
    Exactly. Sometimes these call centre people over promise and that just leads to annoyed customers.

If they had told you 7-10 days due to covid and Christmas (may as well add brexit too :D ) you could at least have planned for it.

Hopefully you will sorted this week

I got sorted early today.

I got a call at around 9 from the email I sent to jd last night.

She said she can’t escalate it as they tend to take 24 hours to process but I explained it could be as simple as a call to the engineers company (knconnect)to see if it can done earlier than scheduled

I got a call at 10.20 to see if I had broadband and boom 3 green lights on the router.

She put in a credit for this month and next month too so I was happy with that

Advertisement