Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids playing outside together (in covid times)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Captcha wrote: »
    We are in a new reality now, how is going out risking infections and coming back to kill your vulnerable family and friends worth whatever lessons you are on about? The pandemic is the overarching lesson here.

I almost lost a dear friend in December who got infected from his children, he is still not back to normal. I did lose a good work colleague and friend at the weekend.

Where would you people be without dramatics? You're talking like it's a forgone conclusion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Where would you people be without dramatics? You're talking like it's a forgone conclusion.

The new reality is that as of Monday there will be many, many more out and about instead of back at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hate to see your childhood.

Kids got to learn about life, playing in a green area and socializing is an important part of life.

Yes of course just not now

TomTomTim wrote: »

Death is dramatic, I'd 2 grand kids got it in Derry, one a juvenile and the other a young lady, got covid her v first week of working as a nursing assistant in Altnagelvin hospital, she was vv sick, not back yet, other girl fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

There are a few kids out where we are. Mine is one of them. They are kicking a ball to eachother and taking shots on goal on the green across from the house. Same 4 kids. They are IMO safe enough to do so. Is it risk free? no. We are taking it day by day. Numbers in our county are relatively ok now. If that changes he will be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

Op here - Interesting range of answers.. I am surprised that so many kids are still playing on our green. Even with the shocking numbers of the last few days. And they aren't kicking balls to each other - just hanging out, chatting and messing as kids do all day. We currently have at least 2 neighbouring families with covid here. They are the ones we know of. And at least one or two of the kids playing outside have teenage siblings... Apparently there has been an outbreak anongst teenagers in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people don't care. Some might be parents.

How are people surprised at this.

If you you large groups contact your local community Garda to have a word with them.

Polly701 wrote: »
    Op here - Interesting range of answers.. I am surprised that so many kids are still playing on our green. Even with the shocking numbers of the last few days. And they aren't kicking balls to each other - just hanging out, chatting and messing as kids do all day. We currently have at least 2 neighbouring families with covid here. They are the ones we know of. And at least one or two of the kids playing outside have teenage siblings... Apparently there has been an outbreak anongst teenagers in the area.

Ballygarvan Village shop one hour ago, gang of 14/16 years old, boys n girls hanging off each other, 8 in total, obviously not all related, if this is what's happening all over the country we're ****ed, BTW none of these kids live in council houses, none there, so chances are yummy mummy just let them loose, parental control is nil in Carrigaline and villages near it, including Crosshaven

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

They are going to let 60k young adults and another 18k special needs kids interact 3 days a week from monday. Just think about that as you hide your kids away and not let them play outside.

They are going to let 60k young adults and another 18k special needs kids interact 3 days a week from monday. Just think about that as you hide your kids away and not let them play outside.

The whole herd immune system didn't work, tried it in the 6, counties and now they're paying the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

With masks, social distancing and attendance lists

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

It's not about 'hiding away'.. My kids do go out every day for walks, cycles, playing on beach.,etc.
    In schools there will be masks, pods, contacts, etc. in an effort to prevent spread. When kids are left to play outdoors unsupervised there are no measures to prevent spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

timeToLive wrote: »
    With masks, social distancing and attendance lists

Masks not mandatory at 2nd level, exemptions allowed for medical and emotional reasoning, SD is 1 m max .

Polly701 wrote: »
    It's not about 'hiding away'.. My kids do go out every day for walks, cycles, playing on beach.,etc.
    In schools there will be masks, pods, contacts, etc. in an effort to prevent spread. When kids are left to play outdoors unsupervised there are no measures to prevent spread.

Amazes me how some people don't understand these valid points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

JDxtra wrote: »
    Now hold on a second, that comment is unfair. I did not visit any restaurant, bar or any social venue in December. I never saw many members of my family over Christmas because the lockdown pulled the shutters down. I made the sacrifices, I was sensible and I have not contributed to the current problem.

Me allowing my kids to kick a ball around outside with a couple of friends is extremely low risk. There is only so much screen time they can have, they need to be outside and be kids.

For all we know (at the moment) they'll be back in school on Monday. They'll be then mixing with a much wider circle of other kids (in school and going to/from school).

Not trying to hurt your feelings. Just stating the facts. Too many people are bending the rules to suit their personal circumstances. Some are engaging in far riskier behaviours but that's due to their age/stage of life.

It's easier for people with spouses/kids to not go to restaurants or bars. Different story for single/younger people.

We are all being very compliant except when we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

KaneToad wrote: »
    Not trying to hurt your feelings. Just stating the facts. Too many people are bending the rules to suit their personal circumstances. Some are engaging in far riskier behaviours but that's due to their age/stage of life.

It's easier for people with spouses/kids to not go to restaurants or bars. Different story for single/younger people.

We are all being very compliant except when we're not.

There's a level of common sense that needs to be applied, sadly lacking by so many - including our government, we can all do our own risk assessment of each situation, that said, it's also worth pointing out that most of what I've read here are about guidelines - not rules, there are very few rules apparently but lots of advice, there is a difference especially when it comes to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have stopped even our limited supervised play outside with the neighbours. The numbers are just too high. I'm very high risk so its back garden only for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Oh Fcuk off with this s**t.

Kids are not the super spreaders they were thought to be.
    Playing out in the open air is about as low risk as it comes.

All summer kids played GAA and other sports together and there was no major spread.[/quote

Figure for past two weeks would suggest otherwise. 150% number of cases in 0-18 year olds than there is in 65 years plus.

If you are happy to put yourself and the rest of your family at potential risk given how widespread it is in the community go ahead.

Advertisement