Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL 2020 Season Playoffs - Wildcard Weekend

Options
  • 04-01-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Saturday

Colts @ Bills (6.05pm)
    Rams @ Seahawks (9.40pm)
    Buccaneers @ Washington (1.15am)

Sunday

Ravens @ Titans (6.05pm)
    Bears @ Saints (9.40pm)
    Browns @ Steelers (1.15am)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Browns Steelers at that hour is an absolute ballache.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So who is the upset win(s) going to be? I'd probably take Browns and perhaps even Washington. I'd go Rams too but the uncertainty at QB makes me think Seattle will win.

It's great that the two best games on paper IMO are in the early slots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd say Tennessee most likely to win as an underdog. Rams have a good shot too depending on their QB sitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Think the Colts have a chance at the Bills.

The Bills are not very experienced when it comes to playoff wins and the Colts defense could put Allen under pressure, get a few picks and then who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

if the washington d-line get to brady there could be an upset but will there offence score enough is the question. If goff is healthy i think the rams will win, there defence will shackle wilson and metcalf. rivers is still rivers and if the heat is on he will throw a few a picks. titans and ravens is a tight one, whoever can contain lamaar or henry will win, i fancy the ravens, better defence. siants and steelers in the other 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

cosatron wrote: »
    if the washington d-line get to brady there could be an upset but will there offence score enough is the question. If goff is healthy i think the rams will win, there defence will shackle wilson and metcalf. rivers is still rivers and if the heat is on he will throw a few a picks. titans and ravens is a tight one, whoever can contain lamaar or henry will win, i fancy the ravens, better defence. siants and steelers in the other 2

Bucs will absolutely steamroll Washington. Arians and Leftwich seem to have finally pulled their heads out of their arses and incorporated a scheme that plays to Brady's strengths. I think the game will be similar to the Pats vs the Chargers in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Think the Colts have a chance at the Bills.

The Bills are not very experienced when it comes to playoff wins and the Colts defense could put Allen under pressure, get a few picks and then who knows.

Is there really that big of an experience difference? In the last 5 years they've played the same amount of playoff games and Colts have won one more game. Colts do have a few vets with more experience from other teams but I don't see them making that much difference at this stage of the playoffs, especially with mostly empty stadiums.

Overall I'm concerned about making any predictions on how teams will go until closer to the weekend due to the number of players out with COVID. The whole outlook of games can change so quickly.

So who is the upset win(s) going to be? I'd probably take Browns and perhaps even Washington. I'd go Rams too but the uncertainty at QB makes me think Seattle will win.

It's great that the two best games on paper IMO are in the early slots.

I'd have to agree with all of that tbh.

With the browns, the pressure is now off them. So they should relax a bit more.

Ravens-Titans is gonna be some game, especially after last year's shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Is there really that big of an experience difference? In the last 5 years they've played the same amount of playoff games and Colts have won one more game. Colts do have a few vets with more experience from other teams but I don't see them making that much difference at this stage of the playoffs, especially with mostly empty stadiums.

Overall I'm concerned about making any predictions on how teams will go until closer to the weekend due to the number of players out with COVID. The whole outlook of games can change so quickly.

Get what you're saying but there'll be over 6,000 fans there and winning is a huge deal for the Bills.

Not saying it's definitely going to happen, but we could see a more erratic performance from Allen in such a crunch game. A big performance from him would certainly cement him as the real deal.

Bucs will absolutely steamroll Washington. Arians and Leftwich seem to have finally pulled their heads out of their arses and incorporated a scheme that plays to Brady's strengths. I think the game will be similar to the Pats vs the Chargers in 2018.

the bucs have only beaten 1 team with a winning record, which was week 6 against the packers who were 14 points up and rodgers threw a pick 6 and had his worse game of the year after that. I wouldn't rate there offence that highly considering the defences they have came up against the last few games. When faced with a team with a good d-line they have being beaten, ie the bears, rams, new orleans twice and kansas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

the bucs have only beaten 1 team with a winning record, which was week 6 against the packers who were 14 points up and rodgers threw a pick 6 and had his worse game of the year after that. I wouldn't rate there offence that highly considering the defences they have came up against the last few games. When faced with a team with a good d-line they have being beaten, ie the bears, rams, new orleans twice and kansas

Lucky for the Bucs they won't be facing a team with a winning record this coming weekend... :pac:

I don't see the Bucs having too much difficulty due to how poor the WFT offense is. I can however seeing them struggling as the playoffs move ahead and they face better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In terms of upsets the bears are obviously widely regarded as least likely to do it but worth keeping in mind they brought the saints to overtime earlier this year and had chances to put them away. I think the saints should win and were probably as happy as could be with the draw but they're a good matchup for the bears as well.

Don't be shocked if it's closer than expected (10 points favourites at the bookies), is all I'm saying.

In terms of upsets the bears are obviously widely regarded as least likely to do it but worth keeping in mind they brought the saints to overtime earlier this year and had chances to put them away. I think the saints should win and were probably as happy as could be with the draw but they're a good matchup for the bears as well.

Don't be shocked if it's closer than expected (10 points favourites at the bookies), is all I'm saying.

Plus it's the saints in the playoffs. So god knows how they'll manage to grab a loss from the jaws of victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,997 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Plus it's the saints in the playoffs. So god knows how they'll manage to grab a loss from the jaws of victory.

Or be ridden worse than a grand national horse like what happened in the game versus the rams two years ago(?) but I know the saints will probably win but I’ve a soft spot for the bears organisation because it’s an old school one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Panrich

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/1/5/22215132/welp-browns-head-coach-kevin-stefanski-and-others-just-tested-positive-for-covid-19

Well that's more of the Browns out. I'd say that game won't go ahead at this rate. Current list of outs in coaches and players:

BJ Goodson, Malcolm Smith, Andrew Sendejo, Harrison Bryant, Denzel Ward, Kevin Johnson, Joel Bitonio, KhaDarel Hodge, Javon Patterson, Bill Callahan, Chad O'Shea, Jeff Howard, Drew Petzing, Kevin Stefanski.

Panrich wrote: »
    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/1/5/22215132/welp-browns-head-coach-kevin-stefanski-and-others-just-tested-positive-for-covid-19

Well that's more of the Browns out. I'd say that game won't go ahead at this rate. Current list of outs in coaches and players:

BJ Goodson, Malcolm Smith, Andrew Sendejo, Harrison Bryant, Denzel Ward, Kevin Johnson, Joel Bitonio, KhaDarel Hodge, Javon Patterson, Bill Callahan, Chad O'Shea, Jeff Howard, Drew Petzing, Kevin Stefanski.

What happens if it doesn't go ahead? Yinzers get a bye?

What were they doing in Cleveland, licking each other after the game on Sunday? Madness to have this level of outbreak!

Most teams have only beaten ~2 teams with winning records this season. Outside of the stomping by the Saints, they've been 1 score games. Added to that, they've started to gel consistently, after no preseason etc. They're going to be extremely dangerous in the playoffs. Likely rematch against the Packers in the Divisional should be tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Rams @Seahawks and particularly Ravens @Titans are very hard to call. Can’t wait for those games.

I’d expect the Bills, Bucs and Saints to progress relatively convincingly, but there is always a surprise in there too.

Browns @Steelers is totally up in the air now. They probably have to play it with no HC or the league will have to postpone the whole weeks slate. The winner will have to play the following Saturday so I don’t think you could even push it in to Monday. Nightmare for the league.

173-83

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

Ravens Titans is a tough call, I have no real conviction in going for one or the other. Would have backed the Browns but this Covid situation, if the game goes ahead at all, will be a disaster for them. Very unfortunate for them in what should really be a feel-good year.

173-83

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

Ravens Titans is a tough call, I have no real conviction in going for one or the other. Would have backed the Browns but this Covid situation, if the game goes ahead at all, will be a disaster for them. Very unfortunate for them in what should really be a feel-good year.

Brave throwing out the picks so early. I'm waiting until Saturday.

I hate that this awful Pittsburgh team could be in the divisional almost by default.

• Advertisement

I hate that this awful Pittsburgh team could be in the divisional almost by default.

Can always edit if there's a reason to, but I'm previous years I always forgot to post when leaving it to the weekend. Doing it when I'm supposed to be working though...

I still expect the Browns to be competitive. Losing your HC for the game the week of your first playoff game in over a decade is kind of unimaginable and I’m not trying to downplay it but he will still be able to contribute in the lead up, as far as that is possible under the circumstances. They haven’t really lost any starters to the outbreak bar Bittonio, and Ward will be back by all accounts.

Pittsburgh are fairly depleted themselves, down six / seven starters, four of them first rounders, and also their kicker probably won’t play which could matter if it’s close. Maybe it’s not the gimme people are expecting.

i wonder can stefanski call plays from a shelf isolated booth in the stadium.

i wonder can stefanski call plays from a shelf isolated booth in the stadium.

He can’t travel to another State while he has Covid and it’s against the rules to be in touch with staff remotely to call plays etc apparently. I think it’s a case of drawing up your game plan and trusting the staff and players to execute. Unbelievable that it happens to them this week of all weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

168 - 88 regular season record

Colts @ Bills
    Rams @ Seahawks
    Buccaneers @ Washington
    Ravens @ Titans
    Bears @ Saints
    Browns @ Steelers

Calling a few upsets here but I've convinced myself of some of them
    Ravens have been touted as being back to 2019 form, but their big December wins have been against Bengals, Giants, Jags and Cowboys. Only real quality one was vs Browns and none of them against an offense like the Titans who have beaten them the last two times they met.
    Steelers also being touted as now back to form, but they played well for a half against a Colts team that I don't really rate that highly. Lost to Washington, Bills, Bengals, good 20 mins vs poor Colts team and their backups played browns well. If it wasn't for the covid/coaching issues coming into the playoffs I wouldn't hesitate to pick the Browns, even given the performance last week, but I still think they could shade it. Who knows :)

Colts @ Bills - Really looking forward to this one. Colts run offence vs. Bills run defence. Bills receivers vs. Colts hopeless secondary. I think Bills will do too much through the air.

Rams @ Seahawks - Fancy it to be an attritional game. Floyd was a nightmare for Seattle in the two regular season games. Seattle have been mean when it comes to giving up yards and points in the second half of the season. I fancy Wilson to drag Seattle through.

Buccaneers @ Washington - Classic attack vs. defense. I think Washington's front four will decide the game. That was the primary reason for Giants beating the Patriots in the two Superbowls, Brady had a nightmare being swarmed.

Ravens @ Titans - Titans have no defence and their one trick pony offence won't be enough for a third time. Ravens are elite on the ground but now have a better receiving options.

Bears @ Saints - Bears have no business being here. Saints in a blowout.

Browns @ Steelers - I couldn't in good conscience back the Browns. Johnny Manziel MK.II just doesn't cut the mustard and Browns only hope of getting the win is to run, run, run!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I wouldn't be that confident in the Saints to be honest. They have a good team but they have a history of falling flat in the playoffs. I'd fancy the Bears to keep it close. Probably the Saints will win but I'd take the bears to keep it to a one score game.

The bears defese is good and I wouldn't have much confidence in Brees and co to put up a huge score.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

I think the big upset could be Washington. They have a serious D and if you look at the Bucs losses they have lost against good D's where they get to the QB.

The Bucs win when they can score lots of points. They won a low scoring game, they had 25 points, against the Giants but were lucky to do it.

They had 26 against the Vikings and won, 28 against the Broncos and won both those games.

They lost to the Bears who held them to 19 points, the Saints twice with 23 and 3 points, the Rams with 24 and the Chiefs with 24.

Washington have given up 20.6 ppg over the season, 22.0 on the road and 18 in the their last 3 games.

Alex Smith is back with a game under his belt. For the life of me I don't know why the Bucs played their full team last week with a playoff spot guaranteed. I'd have sat my starters and go in fresh.
    I just look at Washington as a nightmare team for the Bucs due to their defense and running game.
    I can see reasons why every team can be beaten, very hard to call any game.
    Obviously with the covid situation the Steelers are the safest bet, Browns look in serious bother.
    I think the next safest bet is the Bills with what they've been doing the last couple of weeks but there are question marks for them against the run. Again I don't understand why they played their full team last week.

My picks Steelers by 10, Bills by 6, Saints by 7, Seahawks by 3, Ravens by 4, Washington by 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

adrian522 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be that confident in the Saints to be honest. They have a good team but they have a history of falling flat in the playoffs. I'd fancy the Bears to keep it close. Probably the Saints will win but I'd take the bears to keep it to a one score game.

The bears defese is good and I wouldn't have much confidence in Brees and co to put up a huge score.

If the Bears had a decent QB they could win it all but they don't. That is what will beat them.

• Advertisement

I think the big upset could be Washington. They have a serious D and if you look at the Bucs losses they have lost against good D's where they get to the QB.

The Bucs win when they can score lots of points. They won a low scoring game, they had 25 points, against the Giants but were lucky to do it.

They had 26 against the Vikings and won, 28 against the Broncos and won both those games.

They lost to the Bears who held them to 19 points, the Saints twice with 23 and 3 points, the Rams with 24 and the Chiefs with 24.

Washington have given up 20.6 ppg over the season, 22.0 on the road and 18 in the their last 3 games.

Alex Smith is back with a game under his belt. For the life of me I don't know why the Bucs played their full team last week with a playoff spot guaranteed. I'd have sat my starters and go in fresh.
    I just look at Washington as a nightmare team for the Bucs due to their defense and running game.
    I can see reasons why every team can be beaten, very hard to call any game.
    Obviously with the covid situation the Steelers are the safest bet, Browns look in serious bother.
    I think the next safest bet is the Bills with what they've been doing the last couple of weeks but there are question marks for them against the run. Again I don't understand why they played their full team last week.

My picks Steelers by 10, Bills by 6, Saints by 7, Seahawks by 3, Ravens by 4, Washington by 3.

Bucs are ranked no. 2 by DVOA and have one of the best run defenses this season, even with Vea out. Their offensive struggles earlier in the season have a large part due to the lack of pre-snap motion and short routes being used. They've seemingly finally changed that. They also have one of the top OLs, Donovan Smith notwithstanding. I think this game will look very similar to the Pats Vs Chargers in 2018, where the vaunted Chargers rush was a complete non-factor

Advertisement