Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL 2020 Season Playoffs - Wildcard Weekend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Tomlin has made a total balls of this. Horrible clock management at the end of the half giving the Browns time to score a TD, went for 2 when they didn't need it, didn't go for 2 when it made sense to do it and down 12 with the Browns on the ropes they punt on 4th and 1 at midfield. Mental stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Morrison J wrote: »
    If they can't even back themselves to move the ball a yard I don't think this theory holds up to be fair.

Yep, I can't believe they didn't go for it on 4th and 1. And they got punished straight away. Tomlin's justification will be interesting afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep, I can't believe they didn't go for it on 4th and 1. And they got punished straight away. Tomlin's justification will be interesting afterwards.

Crazy decision, I would not expect any meaningful justification beyond the usual Tomlin speak

Oof, quality throw and catch there. That was nice.

Aaaaaand that's the game.

Really enjoyable weekend of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

thank god the browns didn't f it up.

jesus i'm wrecked after 6 games. did pretty much nothing else all weekend

Hard to begrudge Cleveland that win. Best wishes to them for the rest of the postseason. I don’t give them much hope in Arrowhead next weekend but that’s a serious win tonight.

Some serious introspection required in Pittsburgh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

thank god the browns didn't f it up.

jesus i'm wrecked after 6 games. did pretty much nothing else all weekend

That's me every weekend from September on!

Unreal game. Delighted I stayed up for it.

Hard to begrudge Cleveland that win. Best wishes to them for the rest of the postseason. I don’t give them much hope in Arrowhead next weekend but that’s a serious win tonight.

Some serious introspection required in Pittsburgh

KC should definitely have too much for them, but they're playing with house money now.

Night lads!

• Advertisement

Of course I missed the humdinger.

I nodded off and when I woke back up Cleveland were up by a cricket score so I turned back over.

Of course I missed the humdinger.

I nodded off and when I woke back up Cleveland were up by a cricket score so I turned back over.

That's always the way.

I had to stay up for it. I just felt it in my waters that it would be an epic.

That being said, I struggled to nod off anyway at 5am, so I'd I would have been the same if I went to bed at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's always the way.

I had to stay up for it. I just felt it in my waters that it would be an epic.

That being said, I struggled to nod off anyway at 5am, so I'd I would have been the same if I went to bed at midnight.

How are people watching the late games, I'd be a wreck today if I were up till 5am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd be worried that Cleveland have blown their load here and already played their Super Bowl - first playoff game in donkeys years on the road against Pittsburgh given everything that's happened between the two teams recently.

Likely in for the rudest of awakenings in Kansas next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

I'd be worried that Cleveland have blown their load here and already played their Super Bowl - first playoff game in donkeys years on the road against Pittsburgh given everything that's happened between the two teams recently.

agreed and everything that could go wrong for the steelers went wrong, it was kinda like the jaguars game a couple of years ago. I thought big ben made some really nice throws, especially the one to claypool but his int at the end was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

cosatron wrote: »
    agreed and everything that could go wrong for the steelers went wrong, it was kinda like the jaguars game a couple of years ago. I thought big ben made some really nice throws, especially the one to claypool but his int at the end was terrible.

I think thats it for Roethlisberger. He's making too many mistakes and he's too static in the pocket for the modern game. The steelers need a dynamic new QB who can unleash the talent they have in their receivers. Ben is only throwing 10 and 15yard passes 95% of the time and never runs so its not asking enough questions of the opposition defence. The quality of their receivers has kept them trundling along.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How are people watching the late games, I'd be a wreck today if I were up till 5am

Don't ask. I'm a shell today.

You're likely right. But the pressure is now off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

JeffKenna wrote: »
    record and watch during breakfast....working from home has it's perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

You're likely right. But the pressure is now off though.

The Browns and Bills are freerolling now.

• Advertisement

PIORUN wrote: »
    record and watch during breakfast....working from home has it's perks.

I struggle to watch non-live sports.
    The Browns and Bills are freerolling now.

House money!

Big Ben threatens retirement pretty much every off-season, but I wonder is this actually it? Was strange to see him crying on the bench after the game last night.

Though I had to laugh at the top comment on Reddit of the video of him crying.

"When she gives consent"

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

https://twitter.com/dariusjbutler/status/1348621729959186434?s=21

Steelers get caught out in situations similar to the above waaaaay too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

threeball wrote: »
    I think thats it for Roethlisberger. He's making too many mistakes and he's too static in the pocket for the modern game. The steelers need a dynamic new QB who can unleash the talent they have in their receivers. Ben is only throwing 10 and 15yard passes 95% of the time and never runs so its not asking enough questions of the opposition defence. The quality of their receivers has kept them trundling along.

Is there a direction for them to go though unless they blow everything up?

If they move him on his dead cap is $22m. QBs in FA don't look too talented and even if they go that route or trade for a QB it will likely end up costing at least his $19m salary Ben is due (even ignoring them currently sitting $21m over the expected cap before trying to resign a raft of starters).

Draft doesn't look promising either given where they're picking, probably looking at a tier 3 guy if they don't move up (which they are unlikely to afford due to all the holes they'll have).

Will be interesting times to see what direction they go.

Foxtrol wrote: »

If they move him on his dead cap is $22m. QBs in FA don't look too talented and even if they go that route or trade for a QB it will likely end up costing at least his $19m salary Ben is due (even ignoring them currently sitting $21m over the expected cap before trying to resign a raft of starters).

Draft doesn't look promising either given where they're picking, probably looking at a tier 3 guy if they don't move up (which they are unlikely to afford due to all the holes they'll have).

I think he will probably play one more year, they’ll do an extension / restructure with a void year to get the cap charge down.

If he retires I think their best play is a cheap Dalton / Tyrod Taylor type to compete with Rudolph in 2021 before trying to get their QB in the 2022 draft. They’ll have a much better draft position then presumably. Too many holes to go after a QB this year as you have pointed out. I think they have eight starters hitting free agency and might be looking at some retirements too.

Mike Tomlin is lucky the Rooney family have such patience. Given the tools he's had to work with, he has done criminally for the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Mike Tomlin is lucky the Rooney family have such patience. Given the tools he's had to work with, he has done criminally for the last decade.

Absolute nonsense.

Tomlin hasn't had a losing season in his 14 year time there, with 9 of those years having double digit wins.

The success Belichick had has completely warped what some fans believe success looks like in the NFL (unfortunately for the Steelers they had to share a conference with them or they would have had even more).

Forget talking about 'patience', most owners would give a coach a job for life on the spot if during their interview they could promise that kind of consistent success over a 14 year span.

If anything, it's beginning to look like stellar work from him to get the production he got from Bell and Brown without the locker room blowing up.

Starting the season 11-0 is way above what that team should have been capable of also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Foxtrol wrote: »

I'm not saying they'll ditch him. He should have enough sense to walk away. He doesn't need the money, he's not getting any better and there's a good chance they lose some tools next year. Hes had a good innings with the franchise and should walk so they can get the rebuild going.

Advertisement