Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo for privacy

Options
  • 04-01-2021 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I have a 6 foot wall that I'm thinking of planting something behind that will grow above it to help with privacy in my back garden.

I'm considering making a planter out of concrete blocks - roughly 2 metres wide by 600mm high (3 blocks) and 600mm deep. In that I'd like to plant a few bamboo to grow up above the wall.

It would be on concrete, so I'm not sure if it will work - will I need to put in some sort of drainage and will there be enough soil to sustain 3 or 4 bamboos up to 8 feet tall - wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What kind of wall behind it? If it is a modern concrete block on you may be ok, but if it is an old stone wall the roots could penetrate it.

That's a reasonable size for a planter, if you are referring to inside measurements, but it will absolutely need drainage. Bamboo need plenty of water but they will drown if standing in water. You would probably have to leave gaps so drainage would be out of the planter onto the concrete. I have no idea whether you would get them to grow to 8ft from that situation, my personal experience is that you will not, but others may have found differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

It's a modern concrete block wall - so it should be able to stand up to it.

I've been looking into it some more - I'll have to include some drainage. As far as the bamboo goes I'll buy it at 6 or 8 foot and plant it. The sooner I can make it private the better.

Advertisement