Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing credit cards with the same bank - introductory offer

• 04-01-2021 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I currently have an AIB click credit card that I have been using for a number of years now, with a limit of about €15k.

I am considering switching to the AIB platinum card as it offers about 3% interest for the first year and I am expecting to use it a lot more over the next couple of months due to moving house.

My question is, that since my current credit card is also with AIB can I still get the introductory offer on the new credit card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I currently have an AIB click credit card that I have been using for a number of years now, with a limit of about €15k.

I am considering switching to the AIB platinum card as it offers about 3% interest for the first year and I am expecting to use it a lot more over the next couple of months due to moving house.

My question is, that since my current credit card is also with AIB can I still get the introductory offer on the new credit card?

Switching to Platinum card would be considered as card upgrade without any introductory offers.
    Applying for brand new card is another option but with 15K limit on one card, it may not be easy to get a second card with AiB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

DubLad69 wrote: »

Why not switch or apply for a card from another bank .
    You can keep both cards and then stop using one if/when it suits you.
    BOI - 6 months interest free on purchases
    Ulster (Black) also 6 months interest free on purchases.

From https://www.moneyguideireland.com/credit-card-offers

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DubLad69

Ogham wrote: »
    BOI - 6 months interest free on purchases
    Ulster (Black) also 6 months interest free on purchases.

From https://www.moneyguideireland.com/credit-card-offers

Yeah thats what I will most likely do. I just wanted to stay with AIB for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ogham wrote: »

That would probably involve the OP paying the €30 Govt. duty twice. If you close one CC account and move to a different bank, the old bank will charge the duty in your closing statement but they will give you a 'letter of closure' which you give to the new bank. It shows that you have paid the duty for this year (April 2nd 2020 to April 1st 2021). The new bank will then not charge you the €30 duty for the same period.

But if OP keeps the old CC, he won't get a letter of closure so the new bank will charge him the duty. It's charged on April 1st in arrears so if you open a new CC account now and you're keeping your old CC, both banks will hit you with the charge on April 1st.

Advertisement