Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Contend AR 2 new bike - recommend?

Options
  • 04-01-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi all
    my old bike is coming to the end of its life, my budget is around 1200, Im buying a bike through the Bike to Work scheme, so it needs to be a new one. The shop I was in today were recommending the Giant Contend AR 2 bike, @ around 1200. Just wandering if anybody has bought one so far, and if so, if you were happy with it?
    As to what Im using it for, around 1 - 6 cycles per month, typically 20 - 40K, around 23kph speed, for my own fitness and enjoyment and also for the odd triathlon (these days, more likely the Sprint distance rather then the Olympic distance), for road cycling.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Giants are solid enough, have good resale value and offer good value for money.
    Plus technically with the ctw scheme you are getting it half price so it's a win win. Another option would be the cube attain.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I have a Giant Contend as a winter bike and I'm very happy with it - it's just the base rim-braked Sora model and it has a nice relaxed geometry. The AR 2 is Tiagra based with mechanical disc brakes, I think the accepted wisdom in these parts is that hydraulic disc brakes are a lot better. If you can stretch to the next model up you get that (Giant Contend SL 2). Either way best of luck with your purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If youre doing triathlon the contend mightnt be race orientated enough. What i mean is that as an endurance bike it puts you in a relaxed position a tad more comfartable and nicer for longer rides and bad roads but a slightly more race orientated bike would be slightly more optimal for triathlon.
    Solid bike all the same and i doubt youd regret purchasing it.
    Would you buy a bike online? Its a good option to get a better specced bike for cheaper, but then again a good local bike shop will look after you.
    This video might help you with your purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭pairofpears

My father bought the Giant Contend SL2 in the middle of last year after not cycling for years. He was using my CX bike for a while and then we picked up the Contend for €1265 on the bike to work scheme. It was the old scheme but he still offset a lot of the cost for it. Since buying it he has done up to 90km spins on his own and has no issue with it. The only change we made was to a Fizik Aliante saddle he like from my cx bike but apart from that it is going well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks for the great feedback everybody. I have just ordered the Giant Contend AR 2 from a local shop, it should be ready to pick up in March/April. The gave me a good tradein on my existing bike, which I was hay to be surprised with.
    Looking forward to my first cycle on the new bike now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cycle Superstore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

no, Ray Cycles in Ballysimon.

Advertisement