Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing wire eyes to concrete fencepost

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Get some concrete grade nails whack 'em then in bend the exposed nail to create a U shape and wrap the wire round! Or buy some U shaped ones. How tight does the wire need to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

Get some concrete grade nails whack 'em then in bend the exposed nail to create a U shape and wrap the wire round! Or buy some U shaped ones. How tight does the wire need to be?

If the nail is hard enough to go into concrete, you won't be able to bend it.

If you are still tempted to try this be sure to wear eye protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've drilled into them post before. If you can get your hands on a hilti drill its easy ( which i borrowed from a friend). If you can't get one then get the best drill bit you can find for a regular drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I put the smallest size of rawlplug eye bolts at the start and finish - where the most strain is. The rest of it just needs to support the wire so I used simple vine eyes screwed into plastic rawlplugs. You can get any gizmos for tightening the wire and the little u shaped fasteners easily at any hardware shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

looksee wrote: »
    I put the smallest size of rawlplug eye bolts at the start and finish - where the most strain is. The rest of it just needs to support the wire so I used simple vine eyes screwed into plastic rawlplugs. You can get any gizmos for tightening the wire and the little u shaped fasteners easily at any hardware shop.

Is there much risk of shattering the post (or weakening it by allowing water get to the rebar) by drilling? It’s a new fence so I’m reluctant to drill if there’s an alternative

• Advertisement

What are your thinking of growing up it.. ?

What are your thinking of growing up it.. ?

Star Jasmine

I'd drill the posts you'll only need to go in 2 cm that's shouldn't cause any structural damage. Seal around and screw with some silicone if you want keep any moisture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

okedoke wrote: »
    Is there much risk of shattering the post (or weakening it by allowing water get to the rebar) by drilling? It’s a new fence so I’m reluctant to drill if there’s an alternative

You might get some cosmetic surface damage / flaking around where you drill, but it's very minor. Proper masonry bits, and ideally an SDS drill, makes it straightforward.

I did a similar job recently with vine eyes, Rawlplugs and turnbuckles from Screwfix. If possible, position the anchoring vine eyes at the end of each wire so that the wire tension is trying to pull the plugs straight out of the wall. Putting them at different angles means that the vine eye tends to bend as the wire is tightened up.

Thanks - that sounds grand. Also - do you know where the rebar would be in these (H profile concrete posts) down the middle or in the 4 corners of the H? I’d like to avoid this obviously

• Advertisement
Advertisement