Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time tiling - should I tile up to kitchen cabinets or underneath them?

• 04-01-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. First time installing an IKEA kitchen and tiling too! Not sure if I should tile the whole floor first and then put in the cabinets or should I put in the kitchen first and then tile up to the cabinets?

Has anyone here tiled their kitchen and which one did you do? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi. First time installing an IKEA kitchen and tiling too! Not sure if I should tile the whole floor first and then put in the cabinets or should I put in the kitchen first and then tile up to the cabinets?

Has anyone here tiled their kitchen and which one did you do? Thanks!

Do the whole floor and then fit the kitchen. Much neater job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Corkey123

All depends on a number of things; cost of tiles, area of space under the units, etc.

I have tiled the floor and then installed the kitchen over the tiles. in doing so I wasted approx. 4 sqr meters of expensive tiles

If doing it again I would tile to just under the kick board of the kitchen units - just as neat.

Admittedly it is handy having the entire floor space tiled when moving units around. But also if you are later to remove the tiles not having the units on the tiles helps in their removal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If you go with not fully tiling, tile where the dishwasher, washing machine, fridge etc go as it is a ball ache trying to pull them out over the tile

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DIY beginner

Thanks all, thats really helpful - I think we will go with tiling the whole area first as it will be a bit easier for beginners to just do an empty space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I've done both, and without a doubt, tiling the whole area is infinitely more satisfying at the time and later on. Yes, it's somewhat frustrating to know that you've "wasted" €€€/m² tiling areas that will/might never see the light of day ... but nowhere near as frustrating as deciding ten, five, even as little as two years later to make a change that exposes the bit you thought would never be seen and not having spare tiles or the right shade of grout to do a good job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement