Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands Bog Railways

Options
  • 04-01-2021 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

With the closure of the Lanesboro and Shannonbridge Power Stations, the bog railways are probably going to be closed or left idle. I saw on Facebook that a few local guys did a big cycle around one of these routes over the weekend.
    It could make for some good canal and bog railway routes for Gravel or MTB. For example, start in Ballymahon and follow the Royal canal to Cloondara, then follow the bog railway back in a loop to Ballymahon. Would make a good 50-60km off-road route. Anyone done any of these routes?
    Please share any routes if you have them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

Have the guys on Facebook posted to Strava also? Would they be willing to link you to a route if you asked?

I'd be interested in such a route as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I’m going to look for the map. I think I know one of the lads. They left Athlone and headed south towards Shannonbridge. Looked like a nice spin.
    Actually I’m just after finding these maps that waterways Ireland use. They show all the bog railways and canals very well.
    https://wwi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=8c1448419f1b4ccd93071b1dd3e28a18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Since it was posted publicly I'm presuming there's no issue with me linking the <snip>or anyone interested, some great photos there, shows some of the potential of the bog railways.

Op that's a nice map, you might also find this useful, centre the map on the midlands, go to layers and turn off everything but industry, all the bog railways will show in green.

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

BNM are busy developing large windfarms up our area (West Kildare, East Offaly) the gravel roads in them are nice to cycle on but the real benefit of them will come if they are joined up off road, and the infrastructure is there in the railway tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

That’s a very handy map nilhg
    Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Another reminder to not be posting about cycles, whether they are your own or others that are blatant violations of the 5 km rule.

Otherwise, post new normal, looks great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement