Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung S21 range launch january 14th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Well I remortgaged the wife and bought a s21 ultra , has anyone used a tempered glass screen protector and did it survive a case being put on afterwards , it's arriving tomorrow along with a leather Samsung case .

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

jos28 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking your thread but I'm looking for a new android too (currently sim only contract). I stupidly bought the Samsung A21s and that was a waste of money. Terrible display, 32GB storage, can't move apps to SD card..............It's turned me off Samsung to be honest.
    I'm interested to see what recommendations you get

One of the cheapest Samsung turned you off buying Samsung. What did you expect?

It all depends on your budget. Xiaomi, Asus, Oneplus are all good value.
    If you want best android phone - S21 Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

I am using the glass screen protector from Mous. no issues all cases fit without issues that includes 3 samsung cases the leather,clear and pen case. I also use the mous case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭Cotts72

kave2 wrote: »
    One of the cheapest Samsung turned you off buying Samsung. What did you expect?

It all depends on your budget. Xiaomi, Asus, Oneplus are all good value.
    If you want best android phone - S21 Ultra.

Some reviews would argue that the mi 11 ultra has taken that crown or is an update away from doing so!

I own neither but have been looking at reviews of both to decide on my next buy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yevon wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading from my S8 and wondering what the best deal is. I'm a student so can get the discount but the cheapest I can see is 880 fo the S21. Can get it from the German Amazon S21 128GB for just over 700. If anyone knows any good deals out there i'd greatly appreciate it.

http://www.adverts.ie/23975294

I'd recommend him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

rizzee wrote: »

I would too. Bough multiple phones from him already. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Can vouch for em aswell. Bought phones off him over the years. Never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yevon wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading from my S8 and wondering what the best deal is. I'm a student so can get the discount but the cheapest I can see is 880 fo the S21. Can get it from the German Amazon S21 128GB for just over 700. If anyone knows any good deals out there i'd greatly appreciate it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058190771/1/#post117332212

Got the S21 plus delivered today if your happy to trade in the s8 you wouldn't be far off price wise what i got

https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/samsung-20-voucher-code-3738326

You might be able to stack the above too. Some cracking deals to be had playing around with Samsung Website this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Any recommendations for easy to apply with no bubbles screen protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

pmce4 wrote: »
    I am using the glass screen protector from Mous. no issues all cases fit without issues that includes 3 samsung cases the leather,clear and pen case. I also use the mous case.

How do you find the fingerprint unlock since you installed the screen protector? I had a Poco F2 Pro and the fp unlock was unusable with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gadge wrote: »
    How do you find the fingerprint unlock since you installed the screen protector? I had a Poco F2 Pro and the fp unlock was unusable with one.

Im using the TAURI protector and same issue, three printes registered post screen and no luck at all

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.gomibo.ie/

Anyone ever use these guys?

The galaxy watch 3 is a very good price off them but feels there's a catch somewhere. €264 delivered from them while it's €429 off the Samsung Store

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

PTH2009 wrote: »

The galaxy watch 3 is a very good price off them but feels there's a catch somewhere. €264 delivered from them while it's €429 off the Samsung Store

Bought a few phones from them this year,all came within 2 days

chrisire wrote: »
    Bought a few phones from them this year,all came within 2 days

Good to hear

Might go ahead an order a new watch, unbelievable value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

PTH2009 wrote: »

Keep in mind that Watch 4 is coming soon and will be much better after Samsung and Google announced the collaboration of Tizen and Wear OS.

Watch 3 may drop after it comes out

dan786 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Watch 4 is coming soon and will be much better after Samsung and Google announced the collaboration of Tizen and Wear OS.

Watch 3 may drop after it comes out

Interesting, ill keep any eye on that

My Active Watch is still working fine atm so no real rush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

HI folks,

Have a oneplus 8 pro the past couple of months, and battery life is just shocking. Looking at moving to Galaxy s21 or the 21 Ultra
    How does the S21 stack up as a stand alone phone, or is it better off stumping up the cash for the Ultra?

thehamo wrote: »
    HI folks,

Have a oneplus 8 pro the past couple of months, and battery life is just shocking. Looking at moving to Galaxy s21 or the 21 Ultra
    How does the S21 stack up as a stand alone phone, or is it better off stumping up the cash for the Ultra?

I have the ultra and my battery life is shocking , about two and a half hours screen on time , just did a full factory reset and did not install any apps but the basic ones ,hopefully it was an app but time will tell .
    a friend of mine has the s21 and he is getting ok ish battery .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭jones

Tony H wrote: »
    I have the ultra and my battery life is shocking , about two and a half hours screen on time , just did a full factory reset and did not install any apps but the basic ones ,hopefully it was an app but time will tell .

There's definitely something up there you should be getting almost double that. Are you using 4k resolution with adaptive screen refresh? I did notice after the may update my s21 Ultra seemed to die a little quicker but i'm still getting 4+ hours easily with FHD+ resolution and adaptive refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

Got S21 a week ago. Can't believe you have to pay play store in order to get notification light. That's desperate!

• Advertisement

well I did a factory reset and disabled google chrome , left everything else as is apart from turning off 5g for most of the time and got 6 hours on screen time with 20% battery left ,

Im using samsung browser which is fine but seem like chrome or 5g enabled is the culprit , will turn on 5g for the day today and see what happens , really happy now as I really like the phone and was getting really pissed off with the battery performance .
    ps I also did not use battery saver .

well I did a factory reset and disabled google chrome , left everything else as is apart from turning off 5g for most of the time and got 6 hours on screen time with 20% battery left ,

Im using samsung browser which is fine but seem like chrome or 5g enabled is the culprit , will turn on 5g for the day today and see what happens , really happy now as I really like the phone and was getting really pissed off with the battery performance .
    ps I also did not use battery saver .

Spotify seems to be a big culprit for me. I'm paying for 5G and I'm fecked if I'm turning it off

Overall happy with the phone

apache wrote: »
    Got S21 a week ago. Can't believe you have to pay play store in order to get notification light. That's desperate!

The galaxy S range hasn't had a notification led since the S9 over 3 years ago. I presume what you've got from the play store lights up the screen in a small ring around the front facing camera. I'd be wary of screen burn from an app like that

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That doesn't sound right. There's an issue there somewhere for sure.

The s20 ultra has a brilliant battery as a comparison. I charge it up most evenings, but don't actually need to. Prefer not to charge during the night. It get's a lot of screen time, and used as a hotspot most days for many hours.

The galaxy S range hasn't had a notification led since the S9 over 3 years ago. I presume what you've got from the play store lights up the screen in a small ring around the front facing camera. I'd be wary of screen burn from an app like that
    It's been 3 years since I had the S8. Overdue an upgrade.
    What's the reason why they don't have it? It was very handy.

Yeah that's correct. I didn't know about screen burn.

apache wrote: »
    It's been 3 years since I had the S8. Overdue an upgrade.
    What's the reason why they don't have it? It was very handy.

Yeah that's correct. I didn't know about screen burn.

Vast majority of phones in the last 3 years don't the notification LEDs. Samsung will say it's a 'cleaner design' but the notification LED like a lot of other things that have been removed from phones(sd card slots, headphone jacks, removable batteries) for cost savings and to sell other products like cloud storage, bluetooth headphones and even cases with leds in them!

Vast majority of phones in the last 3 years don't the notification LEDs. Samsung will say it's a 'cleaner design' but the notification LED like a lot of other things that have been removed from phones(sd card slots, headphone jacks, removable batteries) for cost savings and to sell other products like cloud storage, bluetooth headphones and even cases with leds in them!
    Yeah I noticed that. I had to buy wireless earphones. It's all changed. I'm out of the loop.

Also the LED app dosen't work now.

Ordered the below glass protectors. Any one used these before? OK with the FP Sensor? I'll delete my current FP and do x2 right thumb and x2 left.... that's meant to be a fix? :confused:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PYXKZS7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered the below glass protectors. Any one used these before? OK with the FP Sensor? I'll delete my current FP and do x2 right thumb and x2 left.... that's meant to be a fix? :confused:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PYXKZS7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just to confirm, the above works perfect with the FP reader. Camera glass protector doesn't fit with my case though.

3/4 days with the phone and I just about get a day battery if I am lucky. Have the settings optimised and screen down to 60hz.

My old pixel 4a with 3100mah was noticeably better!

• Advertisement

Just to confirm, the above works perfect with the FP reader. Camera glass protector doesn't fit with my case though.

3/4 days with the phone and I just about get a day battery if I am lucky. Have the settings optimised and screen down to 60hz.

My old pixel 4a with 3100mah was noticeably better!

thats good to know about the tempered glass , I went with the whitstone dome and the fingerprint reader is not quite as good as it was ,
    the battery on the ultra improved a lot when I kept it at 60hz .

Advertisement