Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Brake pad question

Options
  • 05-01-2021 1:12pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are fins necessary for someone like me who isn't doing a huge amount of high speed riding and typically not breaking a huge amount anyway.

The price difference seems huge, 4 non finned sets for 1 finned set. So do I really need them in the winter in particular where I just can't see that much heat being generated as I'm not going on huge spins or descents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nah, you don't need the fins at all, certainly won't be any functional benefit in this country right now anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CramCycle wrote:
    Are fins necessary for someone like me who isn't doing a huge amount of high speed riding and typically not breaking a huge amount anyway.

Where you buying, need to change mine?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Looking at Bike Discount. They are 5euro per pair and a tenner shipping, very tempted to get this set of 25 pairs:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/B01S-Brake-Pads-25-Pairs-p63859/

Save having to get any for awhile, as far as I can tell they should fit, my current pads are L03A Shimano, but I use up the front ones fairly regularly.

I'd email the Customer service of Bike Components to make sure they're still shipping to Ireland, I know their website says they are but it may not be updated like Bike-discount.de and bike24 who don't ship here...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd email the Customer service of Bike Components to make sure they're still shipping to Ireland, I know their website says they are but it may not be updated like Bike-discount.de and bike24 who don't ship here...

Good call, I did get stuff right before XMAS so hopefully OK. I have a 10euro voucher for ROSE as well, so might just do up a New Year list of essentials and see who works out better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jscallan53

Tenzor07 wrote: »

bike discount now seem to be shipping to ireland again as i was looking at ordering stuff yesterday

jscallan53 wrote: »
    bike discount now seem to be shipping to ireland again as i was looking at ordering stuff yesterday

Oh great, they must have updated their site recently...

Going to order the 25 pairs, if you want a few and are in the Dublin/Wicklow area, happy to drop them off for a fiver a pair on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Going to order the 25 pairs, if you want a few and are in the Dublin/Wicklow area, happy to drop them off for a fiver a pair on my commute.

I'll take 4 pairs off you. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CramCycle wrote:

Thanks very much for offer, but I'm no where near you

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for offer, but I'm no where near you

No bother, I'd offer to post but you may as well order yourself at that point. Rose sell the individually for just under a fiver as well so if you have a few things to get you can save a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »

The price difference seems huge, 4 non finned sets for 1 finned set. So do I really need them in the winter in particular where I just can't see that much heat being generated as I'm not going on huge spins or descents.

Went for a bunch of cheap organic disk pads a few years ago for the gravel bike but ended up moving back to sintered metal pads as I found the stopping power poor (though to be fair I was about 90kg at the time). Don't think the fins make any difference in our climate, though SFAIK the metal pads last a lot longer.

Wrong size pads, if anyone else wants some, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'll take 2 pairs, no rush with delivery/collection :)

Advertisement