Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate Sporting Venue Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ultimately only one vote decides this tie. Century Link Field advances

��The long and winding road
    That leads straight out the door��

Celtic Park

Home of Celtic FC

ligtht_show_6560.jpg

VS

Henningsvær Stadium

Home of Henningsvær FC

ido9fr1vxxd41.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ah, here we go.

Henningsvaer for me. Because look at it.

Celtic Park isn't anything particularly unique or special enough for this I think. It's a dime-a-dozen ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Henningsvær Stadium, I love celtic but this stadium is class, beautiful looking place

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Henningsvær Stadium

Celtic Park is just a bog standard stadium in comparison.

Henningsvær Stadium

You're all welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

Maybe a minnow compared to Celtic, but I reckon Henningsvaer will go a long way here.
    The Norwegians get my vote here

Henningsvær Stadium

You're all welcome.
    My nomination too.

We'll call it a draw :)

cdeb wrote: »
    My nomination too.

We'll call it a draw :)

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Henningsvær Stadium, that's incredible. Imagine getting to play your matches there every week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah here.....

There hasn't been anything to stir me to vote so far (although I missed the first three rounds!), but Henningsvaer stadium - wtf???

Gets my vote anyway!

Zaph wrote: »
    Henningsvær Stadium, that's incredible. Imagine getting to play your matches there every week?
    I think the club is in hiatus at the moment actually. It's only a small place (800 or so) so they don't always have the numbers for a team.

Was there in 2019; spectacular setting for a town in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Hanningsvaer is interesting but I'll go with Celtic Park because I'd rather sit on a plastic chair than sit on a rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was looking for Henningsvær "Stadium" when nominating as well, but I thought it was the Faroe Islands :o

Obviously gets my vote too

I ran out of football nominations, but I hope someone's nominated Eiđi from the Faroes actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was looking for Henningsvær "Stadium" when nominating as well, but I thought it was the Faroe Islands :o

Obviously gets my vote too
    I ran out of football nominations, but I hope someone's nominated Eiđi from the Faroes actually

giphy.gif

Henningsvær Stadium

It's pretty scenic!

• Advertisement

Fairly comprehensive stuff here! Henningsvær Stadium advances

It's nice but it's not the same

Sure, Donegal has pitches almost as nice...

Ee-R7KtX0AEetbI.jpg

TD Garden

Home of Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins

GettyImages-683498270.jpg?resize=850%2C478

VS

Augusta National Golf Club

Home of The Masters

AUGUSTA%20NATIONAL%202020%205.956x538.jpg

Omackeral wrote:

Was wondering what golf courses would be nominated, there's some amazing ones surely.

Gets my vote over the other venue anyways

Neither move me much but I'll go for

Cos you could have a nice walk there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Augusta National Golf Club the masters is one of my favourite sporting events and Augusta is probably the best golf course

• Advertisement

Again, I'm going to eulogise one then vote for the other!

I love TD Garden, cracking atmosphere in there and the design is genius...

td-garden-sq.jpg

But Augusta is an icon... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll abstain on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Augusta hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Augusta
    Have i been there........No
    But know 2 people who have been all over the world playing golf (they don't know each other) and they both say Augusta is king.
    Sooooo

Augusta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ah jaysus I wouldn't be able to see a thing in the TD Garden.
    & I've always said I don't know how anyone can see the golf ball once they hit it. I just wait a minute for the end camera shot & I'm like 'ahh so there's where the ball is'.

I'll vote for the bloody golf course because I actually think I'd be good at golf myself, if only someone else were to tell me where my ball went lol

I don't know how anyone can see the golf ball once they hit it. I just wait a minute for the end camera shot & I'm like 'ahh so there's where the ball is'.

I can usually see where the golf balls is when I hit it. Cos it's about ten yards away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Augusta. I'd love to just walk around it in the spring

I should add I'm fairly meh on these two. I'll vote Augusta, even if it is a nice walk ruined, and then vote against it next round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Augusta

Augusta National. Another of my nominations, probably the most iconic golf course in the world. A trip to the Masters is definitely on my post-lotto win bucket list.

Augusta National. Another of my nominations, probably the most iconic golf course in the world. A trip to the Masters is definitely on my post-lotto win bucket list.
    It's actually surprisingly cheap, it's just that it's a lotto for tickets. I know a lad who got a practice day ticket last year, loved it

Yeah it's pretty much a landslide here folks, Augusta National Golf Club advances

It's actually surprisingly cheap, it's just that it's a lotto for tickets.

Yeah, I think it would have to be a hospitality package to make sure I got some tickets. I could be dead before I won them in the lottery.

Yeah, I think it would have to be a hospitality package to make sure I got some tickets. I could be dead before I won then in the lottery.
    Good point :D

I've entered every year for 20 years now. My dad's a big golf fan and the masters is just after his birthday. I keep thinking maybe one year I'll be able to take him

• Advertisement

Gonna park it there for the night, was nice to get the first ultimate tournament of the year underway. Stick with us over the next few days if you can, some more weird and wonderful venues to come!

Cheers Mackers, night night!

Good point :D

I've entered every year for 20 years now. My dad's a big golf fan and the masters is just after his birthday. I keep thinking maybe one year I'll be able to take him

It would be amazing if you managed to get drawn some year. That would turn out to be the best birthday present ever.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Gonna park it there for the night, was nice to get the first ultimate tournament of the year underway. Stick with us over the next few days if you can, some more weird and wonderful venues to come!

Enjoyable start to the tournament, looking forward to seeing what other venues have been nominated.

Omackeral wrote: »

Great tournament to start the year and great start to the tournament. Thank you Omackeral.

It's nice but it's not the same

Sure, Donegal has pitches almost as nice...

More Donegal pitches so! :) What club plays there?

It'll be interesting to see which way this goes - will the scenic but small ones dominate, or will they be knocked out by the first really iconic major venue they come across? I've a few more scenic-but-smalls nominated (none quite as good as Henningsvaer), but so far they're heavily out-numbered, which is probably fair. I reckon it'll end up that 3-5 of the last 8 will be major venues and the other 3-5 will be scenic-but-smalls. But looks like an interesting mix in the pot all told; will be a good week or two!

This is the pitch in Eidi for the record (and unlike Henningsvaer or a local Donegal team, this lot have qualified for Europe and played Man City in the UEFA Cup, albeit that they had to move the home game to Tórshavn, the capital)

37379712_651467981884075_2617579217390403584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=2gpJardFDuIAX_iPmsk&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0b36c5e6fe49cac17e6a22bf00c9ca06&oe=601E7622

Ah, that's a great angle!
    I did search for it quickly but the first few pictures didn't do it justice

That Donegal pitch is on Arranmore :)

Ah, that's a great angle!
    I did search for it quickly but the first few pictures didn't do it justice

That Donegal pitch is on Arranmore :)

There's a lovely GAA pitch in Killybegs too and an impressive onr on Inishturk but i didn't think of nominating them of course! :(
    Maybe someone else did.

There's a lovely GAA pitch in Killybegs too and an impressive onr on Inishturk but i didn't think of nominating them of course! :(
    Maybe someone else did.
    There's a great book called "Gaelic Fields" with loads of photos in, worth a look if you like that sort of thing

I was thinking of spectator venues, so didn't consider any of these random bit great pitches around the place :o

• Advertisement

There's a great book called "Gaelic Fields" with loads of photos in, worth a look if you like that sort of thing

I was thinking of spectator venues, so didn't consider any of these random bit great pitches around the place :o

I love that kind of thing. Thanks for the recommendation.

Advertisement