Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Effects in our Shops

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ozmo wrote: »
    I think the Aldi stores we have here are controlled from the UK - part of their operation.

Lidl though are an Irish run division separate from uk - might be why stocks are different.

Ask this lad what he's up to.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/aldi-s-british-irish-boss-is-in-the-market-for-more-growth-1.4113222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Can anyone who's been in Tesco/Aldi/M&S give an update on how things are now? I'm in my final few days of self isolation (not Covid but several symptoms in common) so I haven't been in a supermarket for a few weeks. Have been getting Tesco online deliveries and noticed fresh ginger and chillies have been out of stock for the past month at least and loads of own brand stuff isn't available online.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Fresh ginger was missing from my local Lidl for 2-3 weeks there but they had it back at the weekend. In the meantime, I had bought a load of it in Supervalu.

I haven't been to M&S for over a week but at the time there were gaps on the shelves and a LOT of yellow stickered goods. Things may have improved since then, maybe someone else will have more up to date info.

I only go to Aldi when the queue for Dunnes is too busy and/or I only need a few things but it seems fairly well stocked for what I have needed anyway (new one at the shopping centre).

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just completed our order for Tesco click and collect. No garlic in Tesco for the last couple of weeks. No ginger or chillis this week. Reduced choice for random things like toilet rolls or mozzarella. Hard to predict what will be available and what won't each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Lidl/Aldi definitely have a reduction in a lot of items on the shelfs. I've been several times over the last few weeks and couldn't get something I normally would there. Its visibly more sparse too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have certainly noticed a smaller selection of some fruit and salad items in Tesco .Dunnes seem to be holding their own with those items that I look to buy. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭raheny red

Some M&S deliveries are so late that upon delivery the goods are going straight into the bin. I've found Dunnes/Aldi/Lidl in the centre fine for fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

Mark’s and Spencer’s still very low on stock. It hasn’t improved at all over the last 4 weeks. Very few ready meals. The ones they have the fill out the shelves with. Lots of the same product. I am really missing their food. It’s my only guilty pleasure 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd say you may miss it permanently soon.

Be a shame to see them going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not really, outside of those employed in their stores, they bring little to the country in comparison to other stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not really, outside of those employed in their stores, they bring little to the country in comparison to other stores.

I disagree. I have size 35.5 feet (a proper 3). Marks and Next are the only places I can buy affordable shoes straight off the shelf. Every other shop in the Centre labels a 36 as a 3 and they're too bloody big.

The staff there are the friendliest in the Centre too.

Their food products are all imported into the country using a distribution service based out of the UK, they don't support local producers so outside of employment and rent, they invest little in each country outside of the UK they operate in. That's the angle I was coming from.

I’m not talking about employment. I’m talking about their product range that I like and will be sorry to see going.
    Their food products are all imported into the country using a distribution service based out of the UK, they don't support local producers so outside of employment and rent, they invest little in each country outside of the UK they operate in. That's the angle I was coming from.

Most Irish producers don’t put the money back into Ireland anyway so I’ve no qualms about not buying what they’re selling. What’s good for the goose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I shop regularly in M&S or at least I used to until brexit. Stock levels decimated for the past few weeks. I particularly like their breaded chicken fillets, which haven’t been there for the past month. I disagree that they bring little to the table. They certainly do stock Irish products, I know a factory in Meath that supplies confectionary to them. Their food safety standards are known to be rigorous for suppliers, many don’t pass their standards. As a consumer I consider this to be a good thing. Also, their staff ant very well paid and treated compared to other supermarkets. I will very much miss them if they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

I dropped in again to M & S after work last night. Again very little on the line of meals, I also like their breaded chicken and many other of their products. I love their food and have happily shopped here for years. A little pricey but well worth it and results in zero waste. They have great standards, friendly staff and quality products. I really hope they stay.

Most Irish producers don’t put the money back into Ireland anyway so I’ve no qualms about not buying what they’re selling. What’s good for the goose...

Of course they do.
    Their food safety standards are known to be rigorous for suppliers, many don’t pass their standards.

Likely to be EU standards.

They don’t. In my experience many will spend their money on consumables, equipment, and services outside the state. It’s the main reason I don’t fall into the ‘buy local’ trap. I’ll suit myself as much as they do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mod - let's get back to the topic of Brexit effects on our D15 shops. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Be shame if they left. More choice is always a good thing.

Cant say I've noticed too much difference at the moment with shopping to be perfectly honest, but I'm just doing basics like food and maintenance stuff. Online is a different story!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Iv never really shopped in M&S as I couldn't really afford to, minus the odd bits, but the food levels seem to have been low in comparison to the Tesco etc The usual items I'd buy in Tesco haven't been in stock since January. Since the start of January, I often popped in and got a few bits on their final marked reduction for really really cheap. I didn't follow the person doing the marking down around the shop like Iv seen being done towards closing.

For the sake of a family member of mine who works there, I hope M&S doesn't close in the center. They liking working there and her managers looks after her. They're a good employer. Since the start of covid they've given staff hamper bags of food etc

M&S would do well to take over one of the floors of the Debenhams, if not both. A larger Homeware, men's, kids, womenswear and food dept. I know a Alot of the Blanch staff go to LiffyVally for homeware and clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Of course they do.j

Likely to be EU standards.

They have to comply with EU Food Safety Stanards so as to retail their products in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed. A relocation to one or both Debenhams floors would be good. The M&S in Blanch seems so cramped compared to the ones in Liffey Valley or city centre. Admittedly, I'd never buy clothes there( they always seem so boring and conservative and on the pricey side) or rarely food shop there but would be a loss if it was to go as many people do shop there.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    They have to comply with EU Food Safety Stanards so as to retail their products in Ireland.

That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

Havn't been able to find ginger cake for the last few months in Dublin 15 shops at all, used to be a favourite family treat at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,374 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Havn't been able to find ginger cake for the last few months in Dublin 15 shops at all, used to be a favourite family treat at the weekend.

That the jamaican ginger cake made by McVities (I think)? If so Tesco have it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Speaking of which, do they do the golden syrup version of the same cake too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,374 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Speaking of which, do they do the golden syrup version of the same cake too?

Sorry, no idea. I only knew re: the ginger one because my wife picked one up for her dad when we were doing some supplemental shopping for them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So.... You're making us all a cake, right?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
Advertisement