Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returned Emigrant Coming Back Home After 27 Yrs in the States -any advise?

Options
  • 05-01-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Strongly considering moving back home after 27 years abroad and wanted to see if anyone has recently made the transition back and if so what surprises did you encounter?
    I'm under no illusion that it's the same country that I left - I've been home every Christmas for the last 20 odd years and know it's going to be a massive adjustment - those brief visits always around the holidays are always fantastic but we realize the day to day is very different.

My folks are in their late 70's and given the current rolling lockdowns it would be nice to be around them and help out a bit and take a bit of pressure off my brothers and sisters and if nothing else spend some quality time with them.
    So all that said I'd love to hear from anyone who's made the move back after many years abroad and see how it went.

I guess I'm prepared for some of the notorious bureaucratic frustrations, less so for the weather and trying to take everything into consideration before we commit so any advise from anyone who's made the transition (and maybe re-emigrated back to the US if it didn't work out) would be great..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Strongly considering moving back home after 27 years abroad and wanted to see if anyone has recently made the transition back and if so what surprises did you encounter?
    I'm under no illusion that it's the same country that I left - I've been home every Christmas for the last 20 odd years and know it's going to be a massive adjustment - those brief visits always around the holidays are always fantastic but we realize the day to day is very different.

My folks are in their late 70's and given the current rolling lockdowns it would be nice to be around them and help out a bit and take a bit of pressure off my brothers and sisters and if nothing else spend some quality time with them.
    So all that said I'd love to hear from anyone who's made the move back after many years abroad and see how it went.

I guess I'm prepared for some of the notorious bureaucratic frustrations, less so for the weather and trying to take everything into consideration before we commit so any advise from anyone who's made the transition (and maybe re-emigrated back to the US if it didn't work out) would be great..

Where are you in the States now ? And what part of Ireland are you going back too.
    Do you have a family to take into consideration about the move back. ( Kids in school etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Isgregalive

We're in Oregon right now and don't have family to worry about for school - just the 2 of us. We're flexible in terms of where we settle but home base is the Slane area - like everywhere else it's competitive there right now for houses and one off planning permission is coming to an end so we're ideally looking for a project to renovate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I moved back here in 2013. Was in Atlanta for nearly 20 years.

Can you be a bit more specific as to what concerns you have? Or what particular aspects of life in Ireland now, that you have questions about - as my life experience in Ireland these past 8 years, could be utterly irrelevant to what you have going on, or the things that really matter to you.

Can't really say I encountered all that many bureaucratic frustrations overall and I moved back when a lot of companies, banks, government agencies etc etc didn't have everything set up online, the way they do now. Getting an Irish drivers license was probably the biggest hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Isgregalive

Don't have any specific concerns but just asking in general if anything surprised people once they moved back. I've heard that the drivers license is complicated and I hear the odd comment from friends who moved back that it's more complicated in general, maybe more hoops to jump through but that's to be somewhat expected.
    Culturally, I think we're prepared for the transition, if we don't do it now we'll never do it and can always go back if it's a total shock to the system - it's not like I haven't been back for decades.

Advertisement