Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISME getting in bed with the far right

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This is center right, not right or far right!

Fine Gael is centre right.

This isn't Fine Gael.

:confused:
    I never indicated ignoring of the broader picture regarding violence against women whatsoever. I was talking about one topic within it - does a person have to bring the broader picture into everything to show they're not ignoring it? Who am I imposing my view on by simply expressing an opinion? It is you who's doing that.

These men lecturing women on their take regarding women's rights... have lost the plot.

Why the very narrow focus on the very narrow issue though? Wouldn't women be much better off with a broader focus on the broader problem of violence against women, or does that not quite get you going to the same extent?
    Hhhhh wrote: »
    Who said the vast majority of violence against women does have to do with trans people? Not sure anyone has.

The point raised is that their is a bizarre and insidious ideology that has popped up surrounding trans-people, many of whom reject said ideology, and were many, if not the majority, of the cheerleaders behind this ideology are not themselves trans. That has lead to situations were male sex offenders are now placed in prisons with women. Karen White is an example of why that should not occur. The fact that you are attempting to downplay what 'she' did to those women, by suggesting that it's not actual violence, is frankly quite disgusting.

Isn't it amazing how you name Karen White, but you don't name any of the victims, or any of the victims of much more frequent and violent attacks here in Ireland of women by their partners or spouses. Do their names not come up in discussions so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's a bit difficult to believe that they only reported the Nchenko incident because of the knives involved, when the don't go reporting every incident with knives involved around the country - just the ones that suit their hate-filled riling up agenda.

I'd say the reason Grift reported on that incident is because others had first attempted to make out that the incident is "racist".

I suspect Grift responded to that, and I suspect they are against this overuse of "racism".

For example, you'd nearly be afraid to say some things these days, for fear of being accused as racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Why the very narrow focus on the very narrow issue though?
    Because it was brought up here so I responded.
    Wouldn't women be much better off with a broader focus on the broader problem of violence against women
    Who suggested that we wouldn't? When did we stop discussing it?
    or does that not quite get you going to the same extent?
    Good lord, phenomenally nasty. And you and similar folk see yourselves as the compassionate ones. You're not. You're bullies.

I'm a woman who speaks out against all violence and threats against women because of our sex, and normalisation of sex work. I don't pick and choose whatever is convenient - that would be you.

Who mentioned lies? I didn't mention lies so you seem to be arguing against something that I never said.

So you agree that their news articles are factually correct? Well **** me. That's case closed. You just don't like when people report factually on subjects you hold dear/white knight about.

It's a bit difficult to believe that they only reported the Nchenko incident because of the knives involved, when the don't go reporting every incident with knives involved around the country - just the ones that suit their hate-filled riling up agenda.

It's not every day someone violently assaults a shopkeeper, brandishes a knife at police and gets shot dead. It would make the news regardless of what colour the person was.

YOU make it a race issue.

George nchencko was a violent scumbag. Agree?

You've admitted that you can't point out a news article that was lying, therefore admitting that their articles are accurate, just not slanted the way you want.

You've made a bollocks of this Andrew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Anyway, Gript isn't for me - too biased, and I'm not a fan of its stance on Covid. Although that doesn't mean I disagree with everything there, and it is not "far" right ffs.

Anyway, Gript isn't for me - too biased, and I'm not a fan of its stance on Covid. Although that doesn't mean I disagree with everything there, and it is not "far" right ffs.

I'm not a huge fan myself. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    well i dont want my children being told about that kind of garbage in schools

LOL, while 96% of primary schools in Ireland teach religious myths as fact every single day.

Garbage indeed...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Geuze wrote: »
    For example, you'd nearly be afraid to say some things these days, for fear of being accused as racist.

Such as... racist things perhaps?

George nchencko was a violent scumbag. Agree?

Disgraceful thing to say about a dead man who cannot speak in his defence. He appears to have been severely mentally ill. Let's wait for the investigation but there are serious questions whether the level of force used by the Gardai was necessary.

You've admitted that you can't point out a news article that was lying, therefore admitting that their articles are accurate, just not slanted the way you want.

The last few words there are the whole point. Everything on Gript has a far-right slant. Selective use of facts to push an agenda is still pushing an agenda.

• Advertisement

Such as... racist things perhaps?

No, something like: "the vast majority of asylum-seeker are bogus".

Race is not even mentioned in the statement, yet you'd be worried that you'd be accused of racism.

The last few words there are the whole point. Everything on Gript has a far-right slant. Selective use of facts to push an agenda is still pushing an agenda.

I wouldn't say far-right, but yes, the opinion pieces are conservative, yes.

No harm to have a counter-balance to RTE and the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Really surprised that people don't think Gript is far right given its associations with Youth Defence/Life institute.

Disgraceful thing to say about a dead man who cannot speak in his defence. He appears to have been severely mentally ill. Let's wait for the investigation but there are serious questions whether the level of force used by the Gardai was necessary.

He was a violent scumbag. The police acted correctly.

No they don't.

They have a conservative, right wing slant. Nothing about them are far right unless you can point me to some specific examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

COVID is apparently a race of people to some of these people. Anyhow not a leftist or a FFG corporatist (Ireland's homes are increasingly in the hands of foreign megacorp landlords who pay not a cent of tax) is a 'far right racist.' They never heard the tale of the boy who cried wolf, or don't want to heed its lesson.

Geuze wrote: »
    No, something like: "the vast majority of asylum-seeker are bogus"

The vast majority of asylum seekers are bogus, that doesn't justify the way we treat them though. We need much more rapid decisions and deportations, it's not humane to keep people here for years in bad conditions hoping they'll get in. Oops guess I'm not a trot after all :rolleyes:

He was a violent scumbag. The police acted correctly.

So you say, but the facts are not yet available. That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Really surprised that people don't think Gript is far right given its associations with Youth Defence/Life institute.

I'm happy enough not to call it far-right, despite its editorial stance and its association with far-right organisations. Nobody likes to think of their own views as extreme, so those who think its content is eminently reasonable (and there are a good few of those types on here) are hardly likely to agree that it's far-right.
    They have a conservative, right wing slant.

Bit of a slant, that's all...

Why the very narrow focus on the very narrow issue though? Wouldn't women be much better off with a broader focus on the broader problem of violence against women, or does that not quite get you going to the same extent?

Isn't it amazing how you name Karen White, but you don't name any of the victims, or any of the victims of much more frequent and violent attacks here in Ireland of women by their partners or spouses. Do their names not come up in discussions so much?

The only amazing thing is that you view rape and sexual assault as non-violent crimes, unsurprising given your far right views. Bear in mind it was you who brought trans-issues into the discussion, when posting your 'evidence' that gript is far-right. So, why is it that the crimes committed by KW are non-violent? Here again is what you posted in response to an article describing a convicted rapists crimes:

'it would seem to me that you don't understand about actual violence to women.'

'actual violence to women'.

And by the by, 'her' victims, some of whom were children, have not been named.

It's quite telling that you keep trying and failing to back me into a corner where I have to deny your fictional claims. It's getting just a tad tedious now.

You meet your own set standard for what constitutes far right, so are you far right or not?

You have an account on boards.ie, the home of the far right in Ireland (your own claim), a website were (again your own claim) over 50% of users are far right. You seem very knowledgeable about Gript which (again your claim) is a far right publication. You don't seem to view rape and sexual assault as violent crimes (an even more extreme view than those on the far right would hold). You tick all your own boxes for being far right, so being asked to confirm or deny if you are is a reasonable question.

• Advertisement

I'm happy enough not to call it far-right, despite its editorial stance and its association with far-right organisations. Nobody likes to think of their own views as extreme, so those who think its content is eminently reasonable (and there are a good few of those types on here) are hardly likely to agree that it's far-right.

One of its two directors was a prominent youth defence member, some of its writers were in youth defence, its office space is housed by the Life Institute. I can't see how moderate conservatism is the end game here.

Bit of a slant indeed

555289.jpg

One of its two directors was a prominent youth defence member, some of its writers were in youth defence, its office space is housed by the Life Institute. I can't see how moderate conservatism is the end game here.

Can you please point out some content which is far right in your opinion?

It really shouldn't be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

As usual. Leftist posters make big claim, people ask for hard evidence, none is given. Then the process repeats itself when a new leftist comes along and makes the big claim again. And we're meant to be the mad ones? :pac:

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LOL, while 96% of primary schools in Ireland teach religious myths as fact every single day.

Garbage indeed...

You perhaps assume I'm a believer, I am not , religious stories however often have valuable moral lessons which can provide good instruction for school kids

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

the dunne and Hhhhh banned from this thread for personal attacks

https://gript.ie/desire-to-punish-experts-with-a-different-view-on-covid-smacks-of-spite/

This one comes to mind. There's Youth Defence's Niamh Ui Bhriain defending the discredited Dolores Cahill, then and until recently the chair of the Freedom Party.
    TomTomTim wrote: »
    As usual. Leftist posters make big claim, people ask for hard evidence, none is given. Then the process repeats itself when a new leftist comes along and makes the big claim again. And we're meant to be the mad ones? :pac:

I pointed out facts - there is an undeniable direct link between Youth Defence, the Life Institute, and Gript media. Why do you think these organisations are backing Gript? Or do you not consider Youth Defence to be far right?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://gript.ie/desire-to-punish-experts-with-a-different-view-on-covid-smacks-of-spite/

This one comes to mind. There's Youth Defence's Niamh Ui Bhriain defending the discredited Dolores Cahill, then and until recently the chair of the Freedom Party.

I pointed out facts - there is an undeniable direct link between Youth Defence, the Life Institute, and Gript media. Why do you think these organisations are backing Gript? Or do you not consider Youth Defence to be far right?

I would consider an anti abortion stance to be an a-political moderate view. Please explain to me how those two bodies turn that into a far right one ?

I would consider an anti abortion stance to be an a-political moderate view. Please explain to me how those two bodies turn that into a far right one ?

You're absolutely right - being anti-abortion doesn't make you far right.

There's a separate Pro Life Campaign group in Ireland, they have distanced themselves from YD in the past and have criticised their members' links with the far right.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/campaigners-on-both-sides-of-treaty-lash-out-at-barrett-26030728.html

"It is nonsense to contend that speaking at a neo-fascist rally somehow serves the interest of building a more caring pro-life culture or the broader human rights agenda, which he claims to espouse."

"The groups with which Mr Barrett and Youth Defence are reported to be associated have an agenda of social exclusion and political extremism, far removed from the ethos of respect and moderation that should animate the pro-life movement," - that's what the Pro Life Campaign said about YD's Justin Barrett and his far right ties.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zAh7QI_5sfAJ:https://www.irishtimes.com/news/neo-nazis-affirm-links-with-youth-defence-1.1098966+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

I have noticed a good few of the more nasty iona/youth defence campaigners during the repeal and marriage equality referendums migrated towards the national party. No surprise really.

I wouldn't be too worried about Gript at all. They positioned themselves for a culture war that hasn't happened. Maybe I'm wrong but what I've seen of it doesn't look any worse than the baiting you see from the daily mail. And like the latter they give their readers what they want. And most of the people involved with it previous endeavors range from youth defence to the Irish freedom party. In terms of politics at the very least, they're basically losers.

They certainly appeal to the far right. The one thing all those racist dirt bags on twitter have in common is plenty of sharing of gript content.

Advertisement