Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISME getting in bed with the far right

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Acosta wrote: »
    I have noticed a good few of the more nasty iona/youth defence campaigners during the repeal and marriage equality referendums migrated towards the national party. No surprise really.

I wouldn't be too worried about Gript at all. They positioned themselves for a culture war that hasn't happened. Maybe I'm wrong but what I've seen of it doesn't look any worse than the baiting you see from the daily mail. And like the latter they give their readers what they want. And most of the people involved with it previous endeavors range from youth defence to the Irish freedom party. In terms of politics at the very least, they're basically losers.

They certainly appeal to the far right. The one thing all those racist dirt bags on twitter have in common is plenty of sharing of gript content.

The Irish Times and other mainstream media outlets frequently do pieces on the alleged "far right threat " in Ireland, it is the left who yearn for a culture war

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The vast majority of asylum seekers are bogus, that doesn't justify the way we treat them though. We need much more rapid decisions and deportations, it's not humane to keep people here for years in bad conditions hoping they'll get in.

I agree with you 100%.

What I feel, and what I think maybe Gript feel, is that there isn't the political will to do what you outline.

Indeed, I will go further and suggest that some politicians want to allow illegal immigrants to stay, even though their AS claims are bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Geuze wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%.

What I feel, and what I think maybe Gript feel, is that there isn't the political will to do what you outline.

Indeed, I will go further and suggest that some politicians want to allow illegal immigrants to stay, even though their AS claims are bogus.

I would say the majority of politicians who personally feel there is a problem with immigration and bogus asylum are to afraid to mention it for fear of the twitter and irish times op ed mob slating them off the ballot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm sure most normal people would agree with Gript on this sounds like we could get a massive saving by cutting funding to all of these NGO's .

https://twitter.com/griptmedia/status/1402554835531075587?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm sure most normal people would agree with Gript on this sounds like we could get a massive saving by cutting funding to all of these NGO's .

We either live in a democracy or we don't....
    And I have no intention of voting for racists

For all the talk of echo chambers and the dangers of them, its seems the last year in lockdown has led to an online /ngo echo chamber around politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You perhaps assume I'm a believer, I am not ,

It doesn't matter whether you are or not.
    religious stories however often have valuable moral lessons which can provide good instruction for school kids

Yeah, like when a single family populated the entire globe via incest

Or when a wrathful god got in a huff and massacred nearly every living thing on the planet, leaving a single family to again populate the entire globe via incest...

Or the two young wans who decided to get their dad drunk and then ride him

Destroying two whole cities because some gays lived there.

Great moral tales I'm sure you'll agree...

But what is most ridiculous is your implication that religious people are somehow more moral than others. We only have to look at the actions of religious institutions in Ireland and elsewhere to see that they decidedly are not.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's lots of things that we could get massive savings on by cutting funding - supports to business, doctors salaries, roads development, undersea research.

The question is whether it is a good idea to get massive savings by cutting funding. I won't read that Grift article, but if it is playing the same tired oul tune as some media outlets have played, it is conveniently ignoring the fact that much of what it describes as 'NGO funding' is actually payment for essential services in areas like homelessness, disability services and related areas.

I would say the majority of politicians who personally feel there is a problem with immigration and bogus asylum are to afraid to mention it for fear of the twitter and irish times op ed mob slating them off the ballot

They must be pretty crap politicians if they're not prepared to put their views out there for public scrutiny.

The Irish Times and other mainstream media outlets frequently do pieces on the alleged "far right threat " in Ireland, it is the left who yearn for a culture war

The Irish Times has eight articles over the past twenty years including the phrase "far right threat". One of them is an opinion piece.

Do you think you might be overegging this yearning for a culture war just a touch?

Acosta wrote: »
    I have noticed a good few of the more nasty iona/youth defence campaigners during the repeal and marriage equality referendums migrated towards the national party. No surprise really.

I wouldn't be too worried about Gript at all. They positioned themselves for a culture war that hasn't happened. Maybe I'm wrong but what I've seen of it doesn't look any worse than the baiting you see from the daily mail. And like the latter they give their readers what they want. And most of the people involved with it previous endeavors range from youth defence to the Irish freedom party. In terms of politics at the very least, they're basically losers.

They certainly appeal to the far right. The one thing all those racist dirt bags on twitter have in common is plenty of sharing of gript content.

Don't underestimate the Daily Mail approach. It brought you Brexit with decades of lies and distractions, along with a few other right wing media outlets. While Grift has nowhere near the same level of traction at present, there is a risk that it could get there - if enough wealthy people are prepared to continue to sink funds in that direction.

• Advertisement

They must be pretty crap politicians if they're not prepared to put their views out there for public scrutiny.

its not public scrutiny politicians fear , its the backlash from the media and NGO sector which deters them from speaking out about progressive sacred cows

its not public scrutiny politicians fear , its the backlash from the media and NGO sector which deters them from speaking out about progressive sacred cows

Like I said above, they must be pretty crap politicians if they're not prepared to put their views out there for public scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Like I said above, they must be pretty crap politicians if they're not prepared to put their views out there for public scrutiny.

Same reason that Clare Daly and the rest of the dolly mixture left will never run on the trotskyist platforms that they actually believe in:

Politicians are not noted for bravery.

Bambi wrote: »
    Same reason that Clare Daly and the rest of the dolly mixture left will never run on the trotskyist platforms that they actually believe in:

Politicians are not noted for bravery.

Clare isn't exactly renowned for keeping her mouth shut. What aspects of her platform has she kept quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

The question is whether it is a good idea to get massive savings by cutting funding. I won't read that Grift article, but if it is playing the same tired oul tune as some media outlets have played, it is conveniently ignoring the fact that much of what it describes as 'NGO funding' is actually payment for essential services in areas like homelessness, disability services and related areas.

The article isn't about funding it is about NGOs wanting to have a say in who people can and can't vote for in an election.

A quarter of the electorate voted for Peter Casey in the 2018 presidential election, 100% of the media and NGO
    sector hammered him mercilessly

Politicians fear the media backlash for speaking truth about sacred cows of liberal progressives, not the public reaction

The article isn't about funding it is about NGOs wanting to have a say in who people can and can't vote for in an election.

It's a gratuitously anti democratic proposal

The post I responded to was about funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

The post I responded to was about funding.

The article that was linked and you decided not to read was not about funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have spoken to an RTE employee and a TD's spouse.

Both have stated to me, in discussions about society:

"...but sure you can't say that.........."

They are referring to truths, that can no longer be said, due to the socio-political climate.

• Advertisement

The article that was linked and you decided not to read was not about funding.

Correct, though the post linking to the article, the post that I was replying to, was about funding.

They are referring to truths, that can no longer be said, due to the socio-political climate.

Tell them to join Boards, where you can say that immigrant boats should be shot out of the water.

Tell them to join Boards, where you can say that immigrant boats should be shot out of the water.

That was an outrageous comment if it was indeed said ?

Just to correct you however, immigrants don't arrive by boat bar UK immigrants on the ferry, those who travel to Greece etc from Libya are refugees , immigrants follow the visa application process

It's noteworthy of late how many progressives have changed the language related to this topic, refugees have been reclassified as immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Clare isn't exactly renowned for keeping her mouth shut. What aspects of her platform has she kept quiet?

She kept her love of eastern European dictators pretty quiet until after she was elected as an MEP to be fair

It doesn't become a "truth" just because somebody believes them. Also if we're to say your hypothetical td exists. The reason they're not expressing it is more likely because they'll be asked to explain their justification for their beliefs and potentially turn the electorate off of them.

That's more a case of a politician not aligning with the public. It's not that they're representing some silent majority or something.

That was an outrageous comment if it was indeed said ?

Just to correct you however, immigrants don't arrive by boat bar UK immigrants on the ferry, those who travel to Greece etc from Libya are refugees , immigrants follow the visa application process

It's noteworthy of late how many progressives have changed the language related to this topic, refugees have been reclassified as immigrants

Yes, you could be right, the terminology is the important thing here when we're talking about inciting gun violence against people in boats.

Yes, you could be right, the terminology is the important thing here when we're talking about inciting gun violence against people in boats.

i condemned that comment but its better to be factual when it comes to describing people

you are referring to asylum seekers , not immigrants

i condemned that comment but its better to be factual when it comes to describing people

you are referring to asylum seekers , not immigrants

It's even better if you don't make any suggestions at all about shooting people in boats.

It's even better if you don't make any suggestions at all about shooting people in boats.

Take that up with whoever made that vile comment

• Advertisement
Advertisement