Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISME getting in bed with the far right

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Dunno, but the comments under the video are fairly extreme.

EDIT: Seems Gript are a right leaning Youtube channel. 3 videos from John Waters. Looks like they promote themselves as a "news" channel, but it looks more like they just find some random right wingers, set up a mock studio and shoot a video.

As has been pointed out, they're more than a YouTube channel. They're not Far-right, more centre-right I'd say.
    They have Podcasts on a couple of topics but I give credit to their The Right Side podcast - 2 recent excellent podcasts, one on the trans-kids case in the UK, and the Travistock Centres part in it. And one on the forthcoming Hate Crime bill. Both presenting the facts and a far better analysis than anything I heard on other shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Do you even know what the far-right is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Diceicle wrote: »
    As has been pointed out, they're more than a YouTube channel. They're not Far-right, more centre-right I'd say.
    They have Podcasts on a couple of topics but I give credit to their The Right Side podcast - 2 recent excellent podcasts, one on the trans-kids case in the UK, and the Travistock Centres part in it. And one on the forthcoming Hate Crime bill. Both presenting the facts and a far better analysis than anything I heard on other shows.

And what "facts" did they present?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I see the readers of this far right threat to society and indeed civilisation have voted Peadar Tobin (60%) as their favourite party leader... Aontu being a party of the left.
    Yes, Feader Peadar bases his social policies on the Catholic church teaching. There is a surprise he got 60% on there

keano_afc wrote: »
    Why dont you get in touch and ask them?
    I did and I'm not a member so didn't entertain me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I've always thought Ganley had a whiff of pickles and vodka about him. Seemed to only pop up whenever there was an opportunity to throw spanners at the EU and now I hear that he's funding a Breitbart type publication? I presume it has a heavy focus on immigrant and tinker crime and Sweden?

I'll have to look that lot up but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there were rubles behind it or if Ganley had business dealings over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

It's funny that everyone on here acts in unison, absolutely incredulous that Gript has been called extreme right.

It's literally just an irish version of Breitbart. There's a reason there's no paywall or advertisements, it's funded by pro-life groups and grifters like John McGuirk. It's not a business nor a proper journalistic enterprise but an easy to digest and share source of right wing propaganda.

Breitbart? Cop on ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Dante7 wrote: »
    Do you even know what the far-right is?

Regular right wing folk are usually concerned with fiscal and social conservatism.

Far right folk tend to be less concerned with fiscal policy, instead focusing their intellectual energy on the usual populist tropes of immigration and liberals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Did I just read correctly - there are people who think Dr King’s speech was racist ???

Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I find a that far this or that usually have a problem with Jews so that's often an easy way to find extremists.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i regularly read articles on Gript ( its not a youtube channel btw ) , nothing " far right " whatsoever about it , its funded by Declan Ganley and offers opinion with a conservative slant certainly
    The Burkean Journal is funded by Ganley which has cross-over to The Edmund Burke institute. So Ganley well in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

wextipp wrote: »
    GRIPT is a right wing web-site with extreme views .

As I understand it, the following is now regarded as basically Nazism.

- using senior infants level mathematics to deduce that a primary driver in our rental crisis is allowing migrants, including EU ones, into our already congested private rental market without some sort of quota system in place

- thinking non nationals do not deserve neither a preferential nor an equal access to social and affordable housing

- thinking the Gardai were justified in shooting a man who attempted to stab them from close range.

- not believing the man was carrying a butter knife for the last 7 days, or thinking it was in anyway relevant (as such a knife could blind a guard if aimed right)

- thinking if you don't like or respect the natives of this country, and/ or think they owe you something, you could always **** off to live somewhere else

- looking at rates of rape in Sweden and Germany and thinking there are pro active steps that can be taken to avoid same here

- looking at rates of ISIS lone wolf attacks Europe wide and coming to same conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Do you remember the good old days when the left were the ones who stood for common sense?

I would have regarded myself as on the left until very recently but apparently any view which is outside the Wokist cult dogma puts you in the "Far Right" these days. These people are not on the left at all but simply extremists who are actually against classic liberal values

Id say these Wokists brains would explode if they were in an actual "Far Right" society like Saudi Arabia"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

biko wrote: »
    I find a that far this or that usually have a problem with Jews so that's often an easy way to find extremists.

Always amazing how often those who talk about fighting the far right and monitoring them can be seen in other threads talking in barely concealed anti semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Dunno, but the comments under the video are fairly extreme.

EDIT: Seems Gript are a right leaning Youtube channel. 3 videos from John Waters. Looks like they promote themselves as a "news" channel, but it looks more like they just find some random right wingers, set up a mock studio and shoot a video.

Theres 10 comments under the video, none extreme imo, you must be afraid of your fcukin shadow on a sunny day, thankfully people as delicate as yourself dont leave the house much

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are "extreme views" just views you dont agree with?

Far worse, they're views that Twitter and Youtube don't agree with. :eek:

But why is ISME getting them to make videos ?
    Why do the CEO and chairman of ISME have articles on GRIPT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They are certainly a right wing, non mainstream publication anyway, and you can argue the toss around just how right wing they are - but either way it's strange that ISME would align themselves with them. Don't know much about them but surely they should be staying non political?

biko wrote: »

Like Corbyn et al. on the left? I suppose so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are "extreme views" just views you dont agree with?

Are 'Woke views' just ones you don't agree with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Do you remember the good old days when the left were the ones who stood for common sense?
    "

I'm feeling so old.

I remember when the type of person who has swarmed the modern left used largely join the YFG or the Young PDs.

They are certainly a right wing, non mainstream publication anyway, and you can argue the toss around just how right wing they are - but either way it's strange that ISME would align themselves with them. Don't know much about them but surely they should be staying non political?
    The current CEO of ISME was the head of policy in Lucinda Creighton political party and she got a loan for the party from Ganley. Probably doesn't have a bearing but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm feeling so old.

I remember when the type of person who has swarmed the modern left used largely join the YFG or the Young PDs.

I'm not that old but when I left Trinity in 2012, i think I witnessed the beginning of the importation of this Wokist doctrine when the Philisophical society started banning speakers they disagreed with. Freedom of speech is a cornerstone of Liberalism, so this whole cancel culture has a lot more in common with Fascism than Liberalism.

Also, I think the George Nkencho thing was the absolute Nadir of this cults effect in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I would have regarded myself as on the left until very recently but apparently any view which is outside the Wokist cult dogma puts you in the "Far Right" these days. These people are not on the left at all but simply extremists who are actually against classic liberal values

Id say these Wokists brains would explode if they were in an actual "Far Right" society like Saudi Arabia"

We owe a great deal of gratitude to the people who stood up and were outspoken about the suffocating influence of the church in our society whose followers on this island in particular were so thick skulled and pious it had to be seen to be believed....our media were just as guilty of upholding this authority for far too long!!!

These would have been liberal types who were confident enough in themselves to spot how far gone the indoctrination became and disengaged or fought it or a combination of both.

So it is sad to see that here we are in 2021 and group think/indoctrination has gotten the better of us again...and this time it is the madness of this woke religion that is pumped at us from every angle including the vast majority of our media just like it was back in the 70s.

You know which authority has dominated society by who you are allowed to criticise and who you aren't...and who is influencing your children!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'm not that old but when I left Trinity in 2012, i think I witnessed the beginning of the importation of this Wokist doctrine when the Philisophical society started banning speakers they disagreed with. Freedom of speech is a cornerstone of Liberalism, so this whole cancel culture has a lot more in common with Fascism than Liberalism.

Also, I think the George Nkencho thing was the absolute Nadir of this cults effect in the country.

It's like that old saying in Italy, there are two kinds of fascists, fascists and anti fascists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Danzy wrote: »
    Always amazing how often those who talk about fighting the far right and monitoring them can be seen in other threads talking in barely concealed anti semitism.

Anti Zionism if you will, its the low fat, healthy, left wing alternative to anti Semtism. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

“When fascism comes, it will not be in brown and black shirts. It will not be with jack-boots. It will be Nike sneakers and Smiley shirts...”
    ― George Carlin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Gript is a conservative Catholic website but I don't see how 'far-right' is a justified description.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

statesaver wrote: »
    I enjoy the TRSI podcast on Gript.

Yeah really good podcast, touches on some of the issues others won't deal with in a fairly balanced fashion.

I enjoy Gript from time to time, grifter or far right doesnt seem right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

wextipp wrote: »
    GRIPT is a right wing web-site with extreme views and ISME is a representative body for small business.

I have occasionally looked at GRIPT.

It does not have "extreme views".

I have not read it in detail, but it does seem to have "conservative" views, although I don't think that term is particularly helpful.

It seems to be anti-abortion, and anti-SSM? (I am assuming that)

These are not extreme views.

I have read some of John McGuirk on Twitter, again, not extreme at all, fairly normal.

Advertisement