Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISME getting in bed with the far right

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ireland's fairly right wing. I don't know why anyone could be surprised about it.

There are zero "far-right" TDs, as far as I know.

There are several "far-left" TDs, I'd say 10-12??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

God help us if we ever do have a far right party in this country. There will have been so much crying wolf that nobody will pay any attention.

If everyone is right or far right then nobody is. Just like the word racism is gone out the window as everything is now racist so now everything is far right or alt right. Or is alt right gone now i can't keep track.

Everyone is a Nazi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ireland's fairly right wing. I don't know why anyone could be surprised about it.

Yes free healthcare, housing, high relative pensions, high taxes and a European social democratic welfare state that we all keep voting for. That really indicates a strong right in Ireland.

3.2 million people are recipients/beneficiaries of welfare payments in Ireland, out of 4.8m approx population.

Does that sound like a low redistribution right-wing State?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I like Gript a lot.

Sure they have a slant but what media doesn't .

What i particularly like about Gript they tackle stories ignored by the other media. In particular of interest to me is where tax money is spent.
    But they do other investigative stuff for example an article in 2020 was showing the political connections in ireland to the chinese CCCP machine.

https://gript.ie/the-ireland-china-institute-and-the-irish-elites-admiration-for-totalitarian-china/

i didn't see that type of thing in the indo probably cos their bosses are along for the ride.

It's funny how people slag off media with a slant (ignoring that they all have some bias - like read the IT ffs - read any irish media coverage of Trump :rolleyes: and say it's not biased) it's that it's only for the political slant they dislike - the lack of perspective is shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Funny, I never been on Gript website before. Looks interesting. Thanks OP for bringing it to our attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Never hurts to get another angle/perspective on news stories no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

biko wrote: »
    Funny, I never been on Gript website before. Looks interesting. Thanks OP for bringing it to our attention.

Check out " the right side " podcast with Gary Kavanagh and Michael Dwyer, two very sardonic characters but well informed, Kavanagh is Mcguirks second in command at Gript

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

Wouldn't be too bothered about them. They're just a few angry lads with Ganley's money and a good dose of butthurt after the last couple of referendums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

biko wrote: »

Likewise. Never heard of it before. Looks a first glance a bit too conservative for me but I might give it a go none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Acosta wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too bothered about them. They're just a few angry lads with Ganley's money and a good dose of butthurt after the last couple of referendums.

McGuirk is a fvcking hypocrite who claimed if Dublin Central got 75% yes for repealing the 8th he would never take a political job again and when it got 76.5% proceeded to start a politically directed news blog.

Gript also have links to Cambridge Analytica and are funded by Youth Defense, Ganley et al yeah not extreme at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

paw patrol wrote: »
    I like Gript a lot.

Sure they have a slant but what media doesn't .

What i particularly like about Gript they tackle stories ignored by the other media. In particular of interest to me is where tax money is spent.
    But they do other investigative stuff for example an article in 2020 was showing the political connections in ireland to the chinese CCCP machine.

https://gript.ie/the-ireland-china-institute-and-the-irish-elites-admiration-for-totalitarian-china/

i didn't see that type of thing in the indo probably cos their bosses are along for the ride.

It's funny how people slag off media with a slant (ignoring that they all have some bias - like read the IT ffs - read any irish media coverage of Trump :rolleyes: and say it's not biased) it's that it's only for the political slant they dislike - the lack of perspective is shocking

:D:D:D

This is brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its excellent , kavanagh and Dwyer are very drol but quite insightful

Aye, they work well together.

McGuirk never sounds angry to me , smug and self satisfied for sure but never angry

i follow him on Twitter , hes annoyingly cheerful even when sparring with his idealogical opposites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

McGuirk never sounds angry to me , smug and self satisfied for sure but never angry

i follow him on Twitter , hes annoyingly cheerful even when sparring with his idealogical opposites

Attributing emotion that isn't there is a very common tactic of these sorts. It's totally inline with their "everyone who opposes us is an angry white male" narrative.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

He was fairly pissy at times during the repeal campaign, but I don't follow him, so I'll take your word for it. Given the choice I'd still have a pint with him over that Ben Scallan character.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I found out about Gript because it was the only news source that revealed the 18 year old deeply trouble girl about to be released from prison who wanted to kill women was actually a bloke, even though the court documents were public.

The layout of their website is chronic though

Bambi wrote: »
    I found out about Gript because it was the only news source that revealed the 18 year old deeply trouble girl about to be released from prison who wanted to kill women was actually a bloke, even though the court documents were public.

The layout of their website is chronic though

I don't look at it often, but I did see that case, yes.

I want to see, read and hear the truth.

I find the IT no longer reports the truth.

That unfortunate person is a man, and the media should report the truth.

A lot of other stuff on the website I ignore.

He was fairly pissy at times during the repeal campaign, but I don't follow him, so I'll take your word for it. Given the choice I'd still have a pint with him over that Ben Scallan character.

ive never knowingly read anything by scallan or heard him on radio or tv, the name does ring a bell but thats all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To believe that a "far-right" party would have Edmund Burke as any part of their nomencluture really drives home the lack of historical context and hypersensitivity of the left.One can only assume that now Conor Cruise O'Brien has now morphed into a Gobbel's figure given his biography of Burke.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    To believe that a "far-right" party would have Edmund Burke as any part of their nomencluture really drives home the lack of historical context and hypersensitivity of the left.One can only assume that now Conor Cruise O'Brien has now morphed into a Gobbel's figure given his biography of Burke.

:rolleyes: another boards poster who labels anybody they disagree with far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It's incredible that people still think there is a massive Far-Right in this country to rail against. Gemma O'Doherty is getting less than 2% of any election she is part of. None of the National Party are getting that even. Nor are the Irish Freedom Party.

Years ago one of the tabloids was making a big deal of some Far-Right group called the "Celtic Wolves" doing military training up in the mountains somewhere. As if 8 lads LARPing while drinking cans and burning the EU flag was a new Fascist army.

Talk about tilting at Windmills

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It's incredible that people still think there is a massive Far-Right in this country to rail against. Gemma O'Doherty is getting less than 2% of any election she is part of. None of the National Party are getting that even. Nor are the Irish Freedom Party.

Years ago one of the tabloids was making a big deal of some Far-Right group called the "Celtic Wolves" doing military training up in the mountains somewhere. As if 8 lads LARPing while drinking cans and burning the EU flag was a new Fascist army.

People dont think there is massive far-right presence in this country. The media do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

But the left and progressives (Irish mainstream media etc.) need this boogeyman in order to justify their existence, to push bills such as the "hate speech" legislation through the Dail, and to circumvent referendums that they do not agree with. The likes of Varadkar have also used this boogeyman in order to frighten voters into continuing to vote for Fine Gael; a political party who have time and again let down the contributing/working people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Kivaro wrote: »
    But the left and progressives (Irish mainstream media etc.) need this boogeyman in order to justify their existence, to push bills such as the "hate speech" legislation through the Dail, and to circumvent referendums that they do not agree with. The likes of Varadkar have also used this boogeyman in order to frighten voters into continuing to vote for Fine Gael; a political party who have time and again let down the contributing/working people in Ireland.

Tweets like this are what you are talking about yeah? Stoking fires that are barely embers.

https://twitter.com/powerian/status/1346946812566003713

Nokotan wrote: »
    Tweets like this are what you are talking about yeah? Stoking fires that are barely embers.

https://twitter.com/powerian/status/1346946812566003713

I'm not on twitter but I am fascinated when links like this are shown
    the number of ideology driven gimps that inhabit twitter is mad,
    it's easy to laugh at them and their sh1te but they seem to have huge access to politics and media

like never heard of this guy but here he is blue tick wanker
    with his state paid for NGO kingdom probably dictating policy more than my emails to my TD will ever.

This is a wind-up, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

paw patrol wrote: »
    I'm not on twitter but I am fascinated when links like this are shown
    the number of ideology driven gimps that inhabit twitter where it's easy to laugh at them and their sh1te but they seem to have huge access to politics and media

like never heard of this guy but here he is blue tick wanker

with his state paid for NGO kingdom probably dictating policy more than my emails to my TD will ever.

His tagline might as well read "takes money from the Government for doing very little, loves American politics, desperately wants a left/right divide in Ireland"

His tagline might as well read "takes money from the Government for doing very little, loves American politics, desperately wants a left/right divide in Ireland"

And the thing is, his two organisations are just two small pieces in a giant NGO Industry puzzle in this country.

A puzzle that we, the taxpayer, are funding. At least partially anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve no dog in the fight and only became aware of gript about 2 months ago

Two points I’d make -

They are certainly not “far right”. Yes they have an agenda which is more right wing but all media organizations have agendas. The Irish times for example is clearly very much left wing.

Their articles are well written and informative and often present a viewpoint that is completely ignored by the likes of RTÉ the journal the Irish times etc

Advertisement