Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISME getting in bed with the far right

Options

Comments

Gript are about as right wing as Adam Boulton or Kay Burley, imo. Fairly right wing/conservative, heavy with editorial opinion, but I'm not sure if they're far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Nokotan wrote: »
    Tweets like this are what you are talking about yeah? Stoking fires that are barely embers.

https://twitter.com/powerian/status/1346946812566003713

I watched that carry on in DC last night and I thought that Paul Murphy would have loved it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's incredible that people still think there is a massive Far-Right in this country to rail against. Gemma O'Doherty is getting less than 2% of any election she is part of. None of the National Party are getting that even. Nor are the Irish Freedom Party.

Years ago one of the tabloids was making a big deal of some Far-Right group called the "Celtic Wolves" doing military training up in the mountains somewhere. As if 8 lads LARPing while drinking cans and burning the EU flag was a new Fascist army.

Talk about tilting at Windmills

i never heard of Gemma o Doherty until about eighteen months ago , ive never heard her mentioned on radio or tv , if i didnt frequent this site and look at Twitter , i would still not have heard of her

she comes across to me as being more mentally deranged than " far right " , she is no doubt extremely crass and offensive , harassing private business about what kind of food they can sell etc

none of this is indicative of any " far right " potent movement in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i never heard of Gemma o Doherty until about eighteen months ago , ive never heard her mentioned on radio or tv , if i didnt frequent this site and look at Twitter , i would still not have heard of her

she comes across to me as being more mentally deranged than " far right " , she is no doubt extremely crass and offensive , harassing private business about what kind of food they can sell etc

none of this is indicative of any " far right " potent movement in this country

When ever I have seen Gript people mention Gemma o Doherty, it was to criticise her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

wextipp wrote: »
    GRIPT is a right wing web-site with extreme views and ISME is a representative body for small business. God only know what the Edmund Burke Institute. They say they are in to education but very little info on them.

I don't look at Gript much, but they don't look like far-right to me.

Centre right, yes.

I voted against SSM and abortion, and I consider myself centre-right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We don't have "far left" or "far right" in this country.

Tony EH wrote: »

Paul Murphy is a Marxist. He isn't the only one.

Paul Murphy is a Marxist. He isn't the only one.

Pffft...

We STILL don't have "far left" or "far right" in this country.

Pffft...

We STILL don't have "far left" or "far right" in this country.

We have far left parties with seats in the Dail, on councils, etc.

But sure you can fool yourself all you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Geuze wrote: »
    I don't look at Gript much, but they don't look like far-right to me.

Centre right, yes.

Gript would be centre right to me.
    I mean I don't agree with everything they publish article about....But they aren't exactly the neo-fascists some people on twitter seem to portray them as.

• Advertisement

We have far left parties with seats in the Dail, on councils, etc.

But sure you can fool yourself all you like.

No...we don't.

They're just "far left" to people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mike_cork wrote: »
    I mean I don't agree with everything they publish article about....But they aren't exactly the neo-fascists some people on twitter seem to portray them as.

Tells you more about the people Tweeting than about GRIPT

:p

mike_cork wrote: »

Gript and McGuirk would certainly qualify as quite right wing. More to the right than a lot of commentators. But labelling them as "far right" is going over the top.

Is it not reasonable to say the following:

PBP = far-left?
    Solidarity = far-left?

PBP = far-left?
    Solidarity = far-left?

No. Tony is the authority on political science in Ireland.

(In his mind)

(In his mind)

He has made a mistake over on the LPT thread, and I am glad to provide the correct information.

I am not as confident here, and if he is a political scientist, I would like to hear his opinion.

I feel PBP, Boyd-Barrett, Coppinger, etc,. are far-left.

I feel PBP, Boyd-Barrett, Coppinger, etc,. are far-left.

They would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I’ve no dog in the fight and only became aware of gript about 2 months ago

Two points I’d make -

They are certainly not “far right”. Yes they have an agenda which is more right wing but all media organizations have agendas. The Irish times for example is clearly very much left wing.

If you regard the Irish Times as being "very much left wing" I'd say you absolutely have a dog in the fight, however hard you try to deny it. Either that or you don't fully understand what 'left-wing' means and wrongly equate it with liberalism. The Irish Times' default editorial stance is soft liberal, not left-wing.

Far-right or not, Gript is a very right-wing website. According to its editor, John McGuirk, some of its writers and one of its directors are members of the far-right organisation Youth Defence. Which is fine. Nobody has to read it.

PBP = far-left?
    Solidarity = far-left?

No.

(In his mind)

You can be a dickhead if you wish, but I wouldn't consider either of those entities to be "far". In the same way as I wouldn't consider McGuirk as "far".

"Far" is an extremist position, and none of them actually qualify.

There's too much of a tendency to cry about far this and far that these days. When really all we have are quite moderate degrees in our general political circles.

• Advertisement

If you regard the Irish Times as being "very much left wing" I'd say you absolutely have a dog in the fight, however hard you try to deny it. Either that or you don't fully understand what 'left-wing' means and wrongly equate it with liberalism. The Irish Times' default editorial stance is soft liberal, not left-wing.

Far-right or not, Gript is a very right-wing website. According to its editor, John McGuirk, some of its writers and one of its directors are members of the far-right organisation Youth Defence. Which is fine. Nobody has to read it.

youth defence is not " far right "

Gript is centre right , it might appear quite conservative within the context of the overwhelmingly left liberal media in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No.

It's very reasonable to call pbp etc far left.

There may be others further on that spectrum but far left is reasonable.

You can be a dickhead if you wish, but I wouldn't consider either of those entities to be "far". In the same way as I wouldn't consider McGuirk as "far".

"Far" is an extremist position, and none of them actually qualify.

There's too much of a tendency to cry about far this and far that these days. When really all we have are quite moderate degrees in our general political circles.

PBP and Paul Murphy believe private property and enterprise should not exist and that borders shouldnt either

thats extreme in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They might be a crap publication who you don't like (although I think they have showed considerable journalistic courage in recent times, particularly around trans issues)

Hitting out at the most marginalised minority in society, how brave of them.

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I see the readers of this far right threat to society and indeed civilisation have voted Peadar Tobin (60%) as their favourite party leader... Aontu being a party of the left.

They're right wing but would vote for a party composed of Lenin, Stalin, Marx and Trotsky if it promised to outlaw abortion.

It's the only possible reason anyone would vote for that utter lackwit Toibin.
    It's incredible that people still think there is a massive Far-Right in this country to rail against.

They're very small, but also very well resourced, and not all from within this country either. Political funding from outside the country is illegal.

And the thing is, his two organisations are just two small pieces in a giant NGO Industry puzzle in this country.

A puzzle that we, the taxpayer, are funding. At least partially anyway.

90% of the vast NGO industry we are funding in this country are tentacles of the Catholic Church, using taxpayers' money to inflict their vile agenda on our most vulnerable citizens. State services should never be delivered by a church, never mind one with a sordid history of child abuse.

Well done on voting to take away rights from other people on issues that don't affect you, it's as magnanimous as f*ck. :rolleyes:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Youth Defence are far-right, they have form in beating up people they don't agree with.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Danzy wrote: »
    It's very reasonable to call pbp etc far left.

There may be others further on that spectrum but far left is reasonable.

It's only "reasonable" depending how far to the right one is. The further away to the right, the further left they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Gript is centre right , it might appear quite conservative within the context of the overwhelmingly left liberal media in this country

Justin Barrett of the National Party left Youth Defence in 2004 because its methods were a bit extreme for his liking. Although I suppose you think he's moderate too? It's the very definition of a far-right organisation and has long-standing links with other European neo-Nazi groups.

Gript is not centre-right. It might not necessarily be helpful to label it as far-right because that lumps it in with people who are even more extreme, and who lack the ability to cloak their views in moderate language. It is very right-wing though. And that's grand.

John McGuirk is a horrible, sneaky little creep, with no morals whatsoever and a seriously dubious past, but he's Gript's biggest asset. Sufficiently media-literate to ensure that the site doesn't become too... obvious. I suspect when he inevitably falls out with Gript's owners (like he always does), it'll become less media savvy and will lurch even further to the right before fading into obscurity.
    Tony EH wrote:
    It's only "reasonable" depending how far to the right one is. The further away to the right, the further left they look.

With the exception of one or two tiny fringe organisations, they're about as left-wing as you're going to get in Irish politics, so I think it's not unreasonable to call them far-left.

With the exception of one or two tiny fringe organisations, they're about as left-wing as you're going to get in Irish politics, so I think it's not unreasonable to call them far-left.

It doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Funnily enough the guy who does The Liberal is self proclaimed right wing!

• Advertisement

Well done on voting to take away rights from other people on issues that don't affect you, it's as magnanimous as f*ck. :rolleyes:

I did not do that.

I voted against acquiring the right to intentionally destruct unborn children.

I did not vote to remove an existing right from anybody.

I don't see abortion as the solution to any problem, there are better solutions.

These issues do affect me, as I live here.

Advertisement