Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISME getting in bed with the far right

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Geuze wrote: »
    These issues do affect me, as I live here.

If there was a referendum to repeal the Thirty-fourth Amendment in the morning, would you vote to repeal it, or do you accept that marriage equality ultimately hasn't affected you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Tony EH wrote: »
    We don't have "far left" or "far right" in this country.

Agreed.

I suspect their is an element online who secretly want a more creditable fascist movement to rally against to give their lives more meaning but thankfully we don't no matter how much people try to hype up a threat of them.

The national party got SWA in the election and while we see those on the streets causing trouble thankfully it is a very small and wretched minority who the police are able to keep on top off quite easily. :)

We don't have far left presence in politics, yep we have some online who make noise but they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Seems like anything right of stalin is ‘far right’ these days

We don't have "far left" or "far right" in this country.

I think we definitely have a far left , they have seats in the dail in the guise of PbP , thankfully coppinger didnt get back in.

We’ve had antifa show up at protests etc...

However for far right we have a handful of lunatics who are more just idiot reactionaries than ‘far right’ who thankfully have never had political power and likely wont

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

John McGuirk is a horrible, sneaky little creep, with no morals whatsoever and a seriously dubious past, but he's Gript's biggest asset. Sufficiently media-literate to ensure that the site doesn't become too... obvious. I suspect when he inevitably falls out with Gript's owners (like he always does), it'll become less media savvy and will lurch even further to the right before fading into obscurity.

McGuirk will be gone like a hot snot as soon as the money runs out. It's no coincidence that Gript is just one letter away from grift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I suspect their is an element online who secretly want a more creditable fascist movement to rally against to give their lives more meaning but thankfully we don't no matter how much people try to hype up a threat of them.

The national party got SWA in the election and while we see those on the streets causing trouble thankfully it is a very small and wretched minority who the police are able to keep on top off quite easily. :)

We don't have far left presence in politics, yep we have some online who make noise but they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Oh there are definitely those who'd love a fascist party here.

But apart from the odd fringe group, like Gemma and her band of gobshites, there isn't anyone who leans too deep that can have any part on our political stage. There just isn't any appetite for it.

The fact of the matter is that here in Ireland we have always had a large middle ground that makes up our political organisations, in major and minor, and the "fars" don't really get a look in because in general nobody's interested. That goes for both left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lads, are we claiming that rich boy barrett, paul murphy and the rest of the loolahs are not on the extreme left?

Bit of cop on required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Bambi wrote: »
    Lads, are we claiming that rich boy barrett, paul murphy and the rest of the loolahs are not on the extreme left?

Bit of cop on required

You don't even need to get down to economics to find "extremes" on the left. Anyone who is rabidly politically correct, and supports censoring their rivals, is an extremist to me. Just because this type of behaviour has been normalized, doesn't make it any less extreme in my view. Sadly many of these types see themselves as moderates.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Youth Defence are far-right, they have form in beating up people they don't agree with.

So do ANTIFA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

McGuirk will be gone like a hot snot as soon as the money runs out. It's no coincidence that Gript is just one letter away from grift.

First point, writers and journalists are entitled to get paid. There is nothing sinister about that. I detest this attitude that if you don't do something for free it's somehow 'unpure'. Second point, Why should they run out of money? They have steady base. People like me support them and I am not going anywhere.
    . It's no coincidence that Gript is just one letter away from grift.
    Supporters like me know exactly what we support. To be honest I doubt you regularly read it and qualified to comment on its quality. Gript has outstanding journalism, namely their exclusives on Barbarie Kardashian, the Journal.ie non official fact checks marketed as fact checks and their excellent coverage on Irish-China relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

their excellent coverage on Irish-China relations.

THIS!
    Not one Irish mainstream media ever looked at that.
    why? It's cos they are corrupt and want a free dinner.

Gript looks at things the other media doesn't , specifically where tax money is spent and I laud them over that.

People don't like McGuirk, I do. So what though.
    Once the articles are correct we should all support investigative journalism like Gript.
    Unless, of course, you either have a different agenda or if you are stunted intellectually where you rather read what Stefanie Preissner learned off a 6 year old or that some feminist loon from the IT is considering therapy cos a dog looked at her sideways.

Bit of cop on required

The likes of Claire Daily and Mick Wallace would be considerably more left than boyd barrett, at least boyd barrett will criticise China over Hong Kong. Claire Daily and Mick Wallace are on another plane.

The likes of Claire Daily and Mick Wallace would be considerably more left than boyd barrett, at least boyd barrett will criticise China over Hong Kong. Claire Daily and Mick Wallace are on another plane.

RBB, Clare Daly, the rest of the dolly mixture in the Dáil, all trots, all the extreme left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

RBB, Clare Daly, the rest of the dolly mixture in the Dáil, all trots, all the extreme left.

Yes all extreme left like Stalin, Lenin, North Korea, Mao etc.. gtfo

We have at best leaning left in this country. Not one publicly elected official in the Dáil or Europe is as left wing as James Connolly was.
    Seems like anything right of stalin is ‘far right’ these days

When you have people on here calling Boyd Barrett extreme left and FG, Merkel, May, Clintons 'left wing' the opposite is true.

Justin Barrett has spoke at far right rallies so yes Ireland like every western nation has a growing far right problem.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yes all extreme left like Stalin, Lenin, North Korea, Mao etc.. gtfo out of here.

We have at best leaning left in this country. Not one publicly elected official in the Dáil or Europe is as left wing as James Connolly was.

When you have people on here calling Boyd Barrett extreme left and FG, Merkel, May, Clintons 'left wing' the opposite is true.

Only a moron would call the Clinton's, et al. left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Justin Barrett has spoke at far right rallies so yes Ireland like every western nation has a growing far right problem.

Has he ever been elected to anything? A dislikeable hoor to most regular voters I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Bit of cop on required

I don't know. I don't agree with their views on public spending being far too low.

But their views on taxation being too high and government charges too much are attractive to me. The US republican party may be well in agreement with them there.

Mixed.:D

Justin Barrett of the National Party left Youth Defence in 2004 because its methods were a bit extreme for his liking. Although I suppose you think he's moderate too? It's the very definition of a far-right organisation and has long-standing links with other European neo-Nazi groups.

Gript is not centre-right. It might not necessarily be helpful to label it as far-right because that lumps it in with people who are even more extreme, and who lack the ability to cloak their views in moderate language. It is very right-wing though. And that's grand.

Youth defence was never radical. A few members without approval did some mad things 20 years ago but that is the height of it.
    John McGuirk is a horrible, sneaky little creep, with no morals whatsoever and a seriously dubious past, but he's Gript's biggest asset. Sufficiently media-literate to ensure that the site doesn't become too... obvious. I suspect when he inevitably falls out with Gript's owners (like he always does), it'll become less media savvy and will lurch even further to the right before fading into obscurity.

I am pretty sure being a nasty sneaky creep is a requirement of a good journalist. You have to be find the truth. I dont care about journalists personal morals. I care about if they follow journalistic ethics and McGuirk does. A lot of other gript people are more centre than McGuirk like Dwyer so if McGuirk left they would still have balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think we definitely have a far left , they have seats in the dail in the guise of PbP , thankfully coppinger didnt get back in.

We’ve had antifa show up at protests etc...

However for far right we have a handful of lunatics who are more just idiot reactionaries than ‘far right’ who thankfully have never had political power and likely wont

The far left is a bit of a misnomer. We are the only country in Europe where the far left oppose property taxes and water charges. It shows up the limited intellectual capacity of those parties and their inherent populism first nature. It also doesn't help that many of the leading lights - Murphy, Boyd-Barrett, O'Broin - actually come from very privileged backgrounds and are more like student hacks than grown-up politicians.

First point, writers and journalists are entitled to get paid. There is nothing sinister about that. I detest this attitude that if you don't do something for free it's somehow 'unpure'. Second point, Why should they run out of money? They have steady base. People like me support them and I am not going anywhere.

Supporters like me know exactly what we support. To be honest I doubt you regularly read it and qualified to comment on its quality. Gript has outstanding journalism, namely their exclusives on Barbarie Kardashian, the Journal.ie non official fact checks marketed as fact checks and their excellent coverage on Irish-China relations.

I donated 150 quid to GRIPT last november , will do the same this november , better than paying RTE for left wing propoganda

amazing how a small little conservative outfit gets progressives ( who dominate public discourse ) so indignant ?

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    THIS!
    Not one Irish mainstream media ever looked at that.
    why? It's cos they are corrupt and want a free dinner.

Gript looks at things the other media doesn't , specifically where tax money is spent and I laud them over that.

People don't like McGuirk, I do. So what though.
    Once the articles are correct we should all support investigative journalism like Gript.
    Unless, of course, you either have a different agenda or if you are stunted intellectually where you rather read what Stefanie Preissner learned off a 6 year old or that some feminist loon from the IT is considering therapy cos a dog looked at her sideways.

McGuirk is a little smug admittedly but the ire he causes in some is bizarre , hes polite to the point of being almost annoyingly so and can take criticism on the chin , hes very affable on Twitter

SF have plenty of far left too , Eoin o Broin to name one

Justin Barrett of the National Party left Youth Defence in 2004 because its methods were a bit extreme for his liking. Although I suppose you think he's moderate too? It's the very definition of a far-right organisation and has long-standing links with other European neo-Nazi groups.

Let me clear I in no way support the National Park but this line about neo nazis links is something that is such a sneaky writing trick. What they did was give talks at a far right group meeting. Does that really qualify as 'links'? When Fine Gael TD Jennifer Carroll MacNeill gave a talk to an Iranian terrorist group Mujahedin-e Khalq, no one reported that Jennifer Carroll MacNeill has links to this group. The same when Clare Daly went to meet Hashed al-Shaabi in Iraq, another extremist group. Don't get me wrong these politicians were criticised but it wasn't constantly held against them like it was the National Party. I want to be clear, Justin Barrett was wrong to give talks at these radical groups but there is a double standard being applied here.

Yes all extreme left like Stalin, Lenin, North Korea, Mao etc.. gtfo

it only has a " far right problem " in the minds and hopes of NGO employed hustlers out for a well paying gig

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let me clear I in no way support the National Park but this line about neo nazis links is something that is such a sneaky writing trick. What they did was give talks at a far right group meeting. Does that really qualify as 'links'? When Fine Gael TD Jennifer Carroll MacNeill gave a talk to an Iranian terrorist group Mujahedin-e Khalq, no one reported that Jennifer Carroll MacNeill has links to this group. The same when Clare Daly went to meet Hashed al-Shaabi in Iraq, another extremist group. Don't get me wrong these politicians were criticised but it wasn't constantly held against them like it was the National Party. I want to be clear, Justin Barrett was wrong to give talks at these radical groups but there is a double standard being applied here.

Jennifer Carroll MacNeill apologised. She made a mistake.

Justin didn't.

been reading up on Youth Defence and bar opposing abortion , I cant get anything which suggest they are " far right "

far right in my mind is white supremacism , naked racism , anti semetism and espouses a large authoritarian state

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    been reading up on Youth Defence and bar opposing abortion , I cant get anything which suggest they are " far right "

far right in my mind is white supremacism , naked racism , anti semetism and espouses a large authoritarian state

The last two could be considered corbynism on a good day.

Why anyone lumped abortion into a ‘far right’ sphere is beyond me, being against abortion is an apolitical and a moderate view regardless of what side people are on. Now forced abortions might be far something depending on reasons but this business of labeling any anti abortion group as ‘far right’ is just asinine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The last two could be considered corbynism on a good day.

Corbyn was neither an anti semite, nor was he in favour of an authoritarian state in any way.

Corbyn was neither an anti semite, nor was he in favour of an authoritarian state in any way.

we'll have to agree to disagree as I don't want to drag the thread off topic.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »

remove the white supremacism and you have the modern far left :D

Advertisement