Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello identifying tree

Options
  • 05-01-2021 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I am trying to identify this tree. It's not a great photo but I'd appreciate any help you can give me in putting a name to this tree.
    https://ibb.co/pXp7zm5
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a cherry, at a guess, but you'd be better off posting a close up of the leaves and the bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

a cherry, at a guess, but you'd be better off posting a close up of the leaves and the bark.

Thanks for the reply, I actually cut it down a few years ago and I have been drying the wood so I am wondering if it would be suitable for carving or wood work. The stump is still there so I could get a photo of the bark.
    I'll post it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even posting a photo of the wood in the woodworking forum would help. has it split much as it dried? in what way did you chop it up after cutting it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

even posting a photo of the wood in the woodworking forum would help. has it split much as it dried? in what way did you chop it up after cutting it down?

It hasnt split much, it's in pretty big blocks, see pic...
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try the woodworking group too.
    https://ibb.co/64DwpRC

the bark is definitely from a cherry anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, cherry is one of the easiest to identify, that looks like cherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Toddy1959

The bark looks very like prunus serrula. Small white flowers but normally grown for the bark. Old bark peels off to reveal beautiful mahogany-coloured new bark underneath it.

Advertisement