Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Reading - 2 here in Clondalkin.... Light breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

-3.5°c in KE

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tmcdlk

Light rain in Ramelton , Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

-3.8°C here in tipp at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

-2 and clear here
    Rathmore east kerry north cork border. 150 asl

Rain/sleet on roads around here in early morning would be a nightmare.

• Advertisement

-3.8°C here in tipp at the moment

Are you high up there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Temperatures appear to be rising in Donegal and Derry. So not very hopeful.

Not sure how it’s so cold down south. They are under the same cloud as us.

I think this one might end up being restricted to Omagh southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temperatures nose-diving. Currently -4.1c in south Laois under clear sky.

http://www.laoisweather.com/images/temp.png

temp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    There is a layer of ice here despite the 1c temp

Ground frost before air frost.

Are you high up there?

More likely a frost hollow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not sure how it’s so cold down south.

Clear sky, the high cloud hasn't reached here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Are you high up there?

About 120m

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Rain/sleet on roads around here in early morning would be a nightmare.

Ha I think it will be snow but it might break up that's the biggest problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very severe frost here right now. Not expecting much from this event here in Meath, maybe some snizzle if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    very severe frost here right now. Not expecting much from this event here in Meath, maybe some snizzle if even that.

Is it too cold for snow? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There's no energy in this. Any light wintry precip is evaporating aloft. All I expect to see happen is the front lightly cloud over as it goes, which will take the edge off the frost and result in very unremarkable morning conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »

It will be a dusting like the other morning i'd imagine. Not expecting much here either.

I just drove up to the freezing level. It is 600 feet. The lapse rates are very poor. So with the SW winds I am calling it a bust.

I make the following predictions for here, initially. And expect the levels to rise gradually.

Snow falling line: 400-500 feet
    Snow lying line: 800 feet

I was looking over at Derry where the precipitation is supposed to be and it is dry looking over there so the virga thing is happening again..

I’m not sure where the Met office is getting the confidence on this one.

(I will get my snow fix when we get a proper cold spell sometime in January and February. And will most likely do better than the people who will get a dusting out of this.)

I just drove up to the freezing level. It is 600 feet. The lapse rates are very poor. So with the SW winds I am calling it a bust.

I was looking over at Derry where the precipitation is supposed to be and it is dry looking over there so the virga thing is happening again..

I will get my snow fix when we get a proper cold spell sometime in January and February. And will most likely do better than the people who will get a dusting out of this.

Met Eireann gave rain and sleet up north/ north west. What did Met office give? The lads did warn you this morning about your location not being ideal but you took it as a slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Not sure how it’s so cold down south. They are under the same cloud as us.

Further south is not being influenced by the marine air compared to areas near the coast in the North and West plus further south stayed clear for longer so got a head start on getting a good drop on temperature.

The temperatures and precipitation that you are getting at the moment are almost exactly what the models have been showing, ECM in my case. That's why I was saying earlier that snow was far from a certainty for you at your location but you insisted that I was incorrect. Things may change for you but as it stands, falling non sticking snow for you is most likely to be as wintry as it'll get and even if you do get falling snow, it's quite likely to be a wintry mix of precipitation during the passage of the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I make the following predictions for here, initially. And expect the levels to rise gradually.

(I will get my snow fix when we get a proper cold spell sometime in January and February. And will most likely do better than the people who will get a dusting out of this.)

Did you not see what I posted earlier, especially for you? Snow not expected in the Derry area until midnight.

Derry Eglinton

Snow

Issued at: Wed 06 Jan 2021 - 17:36 UTC
    Valid from: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 00:00 UTC
    Valid to: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 03:00 UTC
    SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) MAY OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD.SLIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 0-1CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Met Eireann gave rain and sleet up north/ north west. What did Met office give? The lads did warn you this morning about your location not being ideal but you took it as a slight.

I was going on the charts which did show snow for me.

The Met Office have a warning out for fairly widespread snow but I am not seeing it. The precipitation isn’t heavy and appears to be evaporating.

Did you not see what I posted earlier, especially for you? Snow not expected in the Derry area until midnight.

I don’t see it. The temps are rising in donegal.. if there was evaporative cooling maybe.

Anyway I will wait

I don’t see it. The temps are rising in donegal.. if there was evaporative cooling maybe.

Anyway I will wait

That’s all you can do. It’s weather and it will do what it does.

Heavy blowing snow at Derry Eglinton now
    METAR EGAE 062150Z AUTO 07004KT 0200 +BLSN M01/M02 Q1022=

Heavy blowing snow at Derry Eglington now

You said midnight? What’s going on GL?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cloudy with the temperature hovering at 0. I expect it will rise soon

You said midnight? What’s going on GL?!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541