Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement and Custume Barracks, Athlone, both -3 C. Custume Barracks getting some freezing mist now. Overcast 13,000 ft.

Dublin Airport only -1 C.
    METAR EIAC 062200Z AUTO VRB02KT 4400 BR OVC130/// M03/M03 Q1023=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The front doesn’t seem to be heading as predicted. The band to the north that is supposed to be heading South is heading SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The front doesn’t seem to be heading as predicted. The band to the north that is supposed to be heading South is heading SE.

None of the charts should be taken as gospel, they just give a rough idea of what may happen ...... Mother Nature will do as Mother Nature wants to do no matter what we would like to see .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I was going on the charts which did show snow for me.

The Met Office have a warning out for fairly widespread snow but I am not seeing it. The precipitation isn’t heavy and appears to be evaporating.

Reposting below what I said here this morning regarding the UK Met Office forecasts for your two nearest large towns, Coleraine and Limavady which contradicted what you said that same Met Office had forecasted for your location. By the way, you yourself said that the Met Office warning is for fairly widespread snow in northern Ireland. This is exactly what like like is happening tonight.... Snow almost everywhere apart from low lying areas in the North and West of the province

I had a look on metoffice.gov.uk and it doesn't show anything more than sleet for both Coleraine and Limavady for tonight with temperatures in the overnight period between 1 and 3c for those locations. Now, if you are between those towns and have that high ground to your north, it "might" sway you to the correct side of marginal but 50m ASL might not cut it. Location wise, if I were to draw a line from Limavady and Coleraine, would you live somewhere along that line? Would you be somewhere along that line but further inland and if so, how much further? On Google Maps, I see a little townland called Ringsend east of Limavady and south west of Coleraine. If you live near enough to this area, you might have a far enough land fetch for snow to fall and accumulate with a north or northwest wind source.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Casement and Custume Barracks, Athlone, both -3 C. Custume Barracks getting some freezing mist now. Overcast 13,000 ft.

Dublin Airport only -1 C.

I'm not far from DA and it feels around that. I'm not sure whether the wind (even though pretty calm) is fully off shore yet actually, looking at the radar showers in the Irish sea still have a slight westward tint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

-4c from -4.6 earlier, that band of precipitation looks fairly miserable on ME's rainfall chart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

-4c from -4.6 earlier, that band of precipitation looks fairly miserable on ME's rainfall chart

Agreed. The north seems to be getting more substantial precipitation.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Nqp15hhu wrote:

(I will get my snow fix when we get a proper cold spell sometime in January and February. And will most likely do better than the people who will get a dusting out of this.)

Nah sea surface temperatures are due to remain high in your region for at least the next few months. As a result, coastal areas of the NW will be too marginal for proper snow for the rest of this winter unfortunately. Especially in your location that's so prone to marine layer mixing.

I'm not far from DA and it feels around that. I'm not sure whether the wind (even though pretty calm) is fully off shore yet actually, looking at the radar showers in the Irish sea still have a slight westward tint.

Surface wind at DUB due westerly. Exact temp/dp -1.0/-2.2 C.

METAR EIDW 062200Z 27005KT 9999 FEW022 BKN050 M01/M02 Q1022 NOSIG=

Casement SW. Exact temp/dp -2.9/-3.6 C.

METAR EIME 062200Z 22005KT 9999 FEW014 M03/M04 Q1022=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Where's MountainyMan?

He should be getting a good sprinkling now if ME radar can be believed.

A very steady -2.6C here, South Ros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Light drizzle west of Galway. Very light.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Mullingar, 10 pm.

Temp: -4.4
    Dewpoint: -5.2
    Visibility: 5 km
    Cloud: 2 okta at 13,000 ft

That's cold alright, so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Where's MountainyMan?

He should be getting a good sprinkling now if ME radar can be believed.

A very steady -2.6C here, South Ros.

Skiing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain Sligo some sleet mixed in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Mullingar, 10 pm.

is it this cold so early on because the cold has become "entrenched" because it's been cold since Christmas Eve? I wonder how low Mullingar would have been tomorrow morning if there was no front crossing the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

-2.6 with dewpoint of -2.9 at my station in Carlow Town. Hoping for a dusting if it comes down this far but expect sleet at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sleet Sligo some rain mixed in...→_→
    Actually if looks like snow but has gotten noticebly warmer too freezing here all day.
    90m asl

UKMO aviation chart for 06Z has the cold front lying Belfast-Mullingar-Dingle. Weather ahead (southeast) of it (NW of line Wicklow-Sherkin Island) is isolated moderate snow (vis. 800 m), otherwise sleet.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    is it this cold so early on because the cold has become "entrenched" because it's been cold since Christmas Eve? I wonder how low Mullingar would have been tomorrow morning if there was no front crossing the country.

Yeah, it's a cumulative effect, also seen in the lower daily maxima.

Still northeast in arklow
    Down to -0.8 despite the cloud near the showers and the breeze off the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Officially the coldest night of this winter so far at Durrow with -4.7c currently. Bring on that darn front! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Mullingar, 10 pm.

That’s only up the road from me and I’d agree it’s saying -3 here.....it’s a crystal clear sky and from the hills here you can actually see the front away in the distance to the north with almost northern lights like streaks across the sky at the leading edge it is very nice to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UKMO aviation chart for 06Z has the cold front lying Belfast-Mullingar-Dingle. Weather ahead (southeast) of it (NW of line Wicklow-Sherkin Island) is isolated moderate snow (vis. 800 m), otherwise sleet.

I'll take that tbh. At best I expect to see light - moderate snow at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Why are people taking about not receiving snow yet. The warning is valid from 11pm when the main band comes down around midnight or just after pushing southwards. Early days yet.

At 10 pm Castlederg (51 m) was reporting a rain shower, despite temp/dewpoint 0.1/-0.7 C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

At 10 pm Castlederg (51 m) was reporting a rain shower, despite temp/dewpoint 0.1/-0.7 C.

Marine layer getting in from Donegal Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Very light rain in collooney, Sligo in the last 30mins.

There is actually a bit of a warm sector just ahead of that cold front. It was analysed at 12Z, gone at 18Z, but some remnants of warmer air ahead of the front not surprising.

ukmo_nat_fax_2021010612_000.png

538610.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just went for a walk in Rochestown, Cork. Hard frost out there - very much a winter wonderland out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

Just went for a walk in Rochestown, Cork. Hard frost out there - very much a winter wonderland out.

Not expecting much where I am but it would be nice to wake up to a light dusting tomorrow. Just hope it makes it this far intact. Dublin 16

Advertisement